Build Advice New gaming build for around 1500 bucks ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 14, 2024
Hi guys,

My old system, an 8yo gaming rig, broke down, well, it was about time to upgrade anyway. I won't reuse anything as I'll try to fix it as a secondary computer later:

What I need it for:
- Gaming
- 4k video editing

Games I (want to) play:
- RPGs like Bethesda stuff, Witcher, Cyberpunk (no raytracing needed, happy with 1440p and ultra settings)
- Strategy and simulations like Civ, City Skylines, Planet Coaster (which is extremely single-thread performance hungry, still a challenge for modern CPUs)

I have pretty much decided that the graphics card will be either RX 7800 XT or RX 7900 GRE. That will more than suffice for my current needs plus a couple of years into the future.

What I can't decide about (just too much data to acquire and compute) is the heart of the system, CPU, cooler, board, RAM (gen and speed). The board should accommodate two SSDs (thinking about 1TB for system and applications, 4 TB for games and editing workspace, advice with regard to the bus generation welcome). No special requirements apart from that. No more than two HDDs might be added later to dump data. How big a power supply does this add up to? The case preferably roomy, boring and SILENT. I'm used to not hearing anything from underneath the desk most of the time, and I like that more than fancy lights behind a window. Not the overclocking, water cooling type of guy.

I don't have a fixed budget, it should just make sense in terms of value towards the requirements. Roughly 500 bucks for the graphics board, not more than 1000 for the rest, I would say. No screens needed. I'd prefer to buy soon but I could wait if you're telling me that Ryzen 9000 (or whatever) will change the game for me.

I'd be grateful for suggestions, especially with some hints why it seems appropriate for my use case.

Reactions: artk2219