Question Ethernet speed is slow with new built pc

Jun 8, 2022
I just built a new desktop PC and it's getting about 1/3 the internet speed through Ethernet that my old PC gets. That's still a decent speed, but it's quite a drop. I don't have my old pc's specs right on hand, I'd have to go check everything if that's needed, but it's 7 years old or more now.

I've tried updating drivers,
connecting directly and not through the router (no change
restarting the network adapter,
disabled peer to peer,
disabled large send offload,
checked in the resource monitor to see if anything was using a lot (there wasn't),
turned off nearly all the background apps,
tested different ports on the router,
and several other things I'm not able to remember right now. I've basically tried everything I could find in a google search.

I talked with my ISP and their techs couldn't understand it either. Oddly enough, I get better speeds on wifi with the new PC than I do wired.

I know little about routers, but the one I have is a Zyxel that was provided free from my ISP and I'm using the connection on the motherboard.

Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor

Asus TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory

EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti LHR 8 GB XC GAMING Video Card

EVGA GQ 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit

kanewolf

Titan
I just built a new desktop PC and it's getting about 1/3 the internet speed through Ethernet that my old PC gets. That's still a decent speed, but it's quite a drop. I don't have my old pc's specs right on hand, I'd have to go check everything if that's needed, but it's 7 years old or more now.

I've tried updating drivers,
connecting directly and not through the router (no change
restarting the network adapter,
disabled peer to peer,
disabled large send offload,
checked in the resource monitor to see if anything was using a lot (there wasn't),
turned off nearly all the background apps,
tested different ports on the router,
and several other things I'm not able to remember right now. I've basically tried everything I could find in a google search.

I talked with my ISP and their techs couldn't understand it either. Oddly enough, I get better speeds on wifi with the new PC than I do wired.

I know little about routers, but the one I have is a Zyxel that was provided free from my ISP and I'm using the connection on the motherboard.

Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor

Asus TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory

EVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti LHR 8 GB XC GAMING Video Card

EVGA GQ 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
First thing always, is to get a brand new, factory made, 100% copper (not flat) ethernet cable and retest.
Your motherboard has an intel 2.5Gbit ethernet port. There have been driver problems with those. I would make sure you get the latest drivers from the Intel downloads.
Since your motherboard has "GAMING" in the name, you want to be sure that any network software, the the ASUS Game First software is disabled. It will attempt to prioritize game traffic and limit your download performance.

Jun 8, 2022
Is the cable that much of an issue, if it's only this pc having the problem? I'll check on the drivers again, but I haven't seen any Game First software or anything installed. The driver seems to be Intel Ethernet Controller (3) I225-V, version 1.0.2.14

Jun 8, 2022
Oh, sorry, according to speedtest.net, the old pc is getting a little over 900 Mbps and the new one is getting around 320 Mbps. Upload is averaging around 915 on both and this new one will get just under 500 using WiFi.

kanewolf

Titan
It's the same cable I used with the old one that was getting over 900, too. Beginning to wonder if the port on this one is just faulty.
It is most likely a software issue.
Did you start with a clean OS install?
Do you have Windows Autotune set correctly -- https://www.ghacks.net/2016/08/05/windows-10-limiting-internet-speed/
Did you get the latest driver from the Intel website -- https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...225-v&sort=relevancy&f:@tabfilter=[Downloads]
If none of that changes anything, you should get a portable Linux and boot off a USB. That will help eliminate your hardware.

Jun 8, 2022
Yeah, it was a clean install of Windows onto a new SSD. That's one of the other things I tried that I forgot about, I guess. It was set as normal, I tried disabling the Auto-tuning level and it didn't do anything either.

I'll try the other two suggestions there, thanks.

Jun 8, 2022
I've yet to get Linux set up on a flash drive, but I guess the drivers or something helped a bit, because I'm up to an average of about 500Mbps constant now. I switched out to the old pc again and it's still sitting at over 900. I'll post again when I get the results of booting with Linux.

Jun 8, 2022
Yeah, um... I just tried the solution here and now I'm getting 945, which is about the normal on the old PC. (except I chose Optimal, not windows default)

I don't know what it actually did that made the difference, but thanks for the help here!

Last edited: