Question Ethernet speed slower on one PC

Dec 17, 2019
We recently upgraded to a 1 Gbps connection for our home network.
Running speed tests I noticed I'm only getting 130 - 150 Mbps on my own PC.
I tested this with 2 different cables going to the same switch on different ports.
One of the cables was plugged into my Windows Server which was receiving 980 Mbps which is the max I can hope for.

The cable is plugged into my motherboard which is the ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F.
The Router is a Touchstone TG3492 Telephony Gateway.
The only thing connected to the Router is my D-Link Gigabit Switch (DGS-1016D)

I already tried:
  • Installing the newest Networking drivers from asus.com
  • Uninstalling the device in Device Manager and reinstalling the new drivers.
  • Using a different cable which is proven to run at ~1gbps (currently still plugged in)
  • Resetting any overclocking in the BIOS (I read that BCLK > 100 can cause network issues, currently on stock settings)
  • Forcing the Speed in the Network Adapter to 1 Gbps Duplex (Everything worked fine, no speed increase, reverted to Automatic mode)
My next step would be reinstalling my OS which I want to do anyways over the holidays. But before I do that I'd rather know what is causing the issue.
Thanks for any help in advance!

Dec 17, 2019
Do you have the "ROG Game First" software loaded? That can limit your performance.
Just checked and no I don't have it installed
Have you tested a direct PC to router connection thus bypassing the D-Link switch?

Download the network drivers via the network adapter's manufacturer's website.
Tested with connecting directly to the router and no improvement.
Downloaded Drivers directly from intel.com. Removed old drivers and installed new ones. No improvement.

Edit:
I also just tested in in Safe Mode with Networking and got the same result.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2019
Ok it's definitely a software/driver issue. I just booted into a Linux on a flash drive and managed to get almost 1 gbps in that OS. I'll try reinstalling windows to see if that fixes the issue.

Last edited: