Question Ethernet speed

Apr 16, 2023
Hello,

I have a 500mbps internet speed which I can reach when I connect the cable to my MacBook, but when I connect it to my PC with a GA-AB350-Gaming 3 (rev. 1.x) motherboard I can only reach 100mbps (I had the same problem on an Asus ROG flex x13 - max 100mbps). I wired the cable so I am not sure if I did a good job, but as it works good on my MacBook I don't know what's wrong on Windows. I tried to install the Lan driver for the motherboard.
I tried to install Lan drivers for the motherboard.

I am not sure what else I can try, any ideas?

When you see 100mpbs limit it is almost always a bad cable. There are massive amounts of fake cable sold, that flat cable you see so much of does not meet the standards to be certified as a ethernet cable.

In your case since you made the cable youself it is likely some minor connection issue. Some device tolerate a cable that is slightly out of spec more than others. Although you could have the pairs wrong what is more likely is one wire is make poor contact inside the rj45 plug. It is very tricky to keep all the wires perfectly aligned when you crimp them.

No easy answer the meters that would tell you what is wrong cost way to much money and the cheap ones would likely show you did it correct since it works on some devices. The cheap ones basically just run a battery to a led they do not actually test the cables ability to pass data signals.

The end results though are the same you can't really fix a poorly crimped rj45. You end up cutting off a end and redoing it. Maybe if you inspect it very closely with a maginifier you might see one wire that is not fully inserted or something. That way you might make a better guess which end to cut off first.

Apr 16, 2023
It works fine 500mbps on my MacBook, so that's why I think the cable is not the issue, I also tested it and the lights on tester were in the same order and all 8 of them beeping.

You have issues on 2 different machines which implies it is the cable and not the port.
You really want it to be a cable issue. The speed negotitation is done at a hardware level with voltages/resistance etc. It is not something that is done say by a driver. Your only option is to either buy a new motherboard or buy a pcie add in ethernet card.

Bad cables can work on some devices but not others. The tester you have is close to worthless, I have one also but compared to a $1000 fluke meter they are junk.