Ethernet speeds are slow

Jaymz56

Commendable
Jan 20, 2017
My internet is gigabit internet but my PC is only getting about 50mbps, well its will go just over 50. my 5g wifi says its 1300mbps but my PC on ethernet is like I said before, getting 50mbps.I have changed and checked all the cables and ports, nothing seems to be off
I do have a NETGEAR powerline 1000 network extender connected to the PC
PC Specs
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
16gb RAM
RTX 2070
Sagemcom F@st5260 Router
my network adapter says its speed is 1gbps

Solution
The marketing guys are doing all they can to deceive you. Just because it has gigabit ports in the units means nothing. They still sell the older av500 units trying to make people think they can do 500mbps but the devices only have 10/100 ethernet ports. It pretty much admits that the 500 number is a outright lie when they do not expect the unit to even run 100mbps.

In general you should see more than 50mbps on those units but it is also dependent on the electrical wires inside the walls of your house. There is no way to predict how well this will really work on any particular house.

This site has some test results that show more realistic numbers but even these only show the speeds in there test location. You can not assume the...
If you have the ethernet cables hooked to the powerline units you do not really have ethernet you have powerline network. The speed you get is dependent on your house wiring. Even in the best case you will get nowhere even close to gbit speeds.

The only way you are going to get gigabit speeds is to run a actual ethernet cable between your machines and the router.

Jaymz56

Commendable
Jan 20, 2017

okay, but it does say the powerline supports gigabit speeds, and if it does not, should it at least a lot more that 50mbps

The marketing guys are doing all they can to deceive you. Just because it has gigabit ports in the units means nothing. They still sell the older av500 units trying to make people think they can do 500mbps but the devices only have 10/100 ethernet ports. It pretty much admits that the 500 number is a outright lie when they do not expect the unit to even run 100mbps.

In general you should see more than 50mbps on those units but it is also dependent on the electrical wires inside the walls of your house. There is no way to predict how well this will really work on any particular house.

This site has some test results that show more realistic numbers but even these only show the speeds in there test location. You can not assume the same numbers in another house.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/powerline/view

Solution

Jaymz56

Commendable
Jan 20, 2017

Okay i understand. So what donyou reccomend me doing. Because my modem and router is pretty much on the other side of house

I suspect the real answer is going to be you live with the 50mbits. When you decide you really need to high speed download you run a temporary ethernet cable over the floor. It likely will only be worth the effort for those games that want to download 20gbit patches.

The only way you are going to get anywhere close to gigabit speeds is to run a actual ethernet cable. It all depends on how your house is built some people have attic or basement. The method ISP uses is to run the cable on the outside of the house and go through exterior walls, looks like crap but is simple to do

Jaymz56

Commendable
Jan 20, 2017

Alright thanks