Ethernet "splitter" not working with 2 devices

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Matt2298

Honorable
Aug 25, 2013
I have an ethernet splitter that doesnt work I think? It has one cat5 cable connected to the input and 2 connected to the output. This works fine iduvidually but when both devices (PC and Xbox One) are on, only one has signal?

Solution

That would allow 4 devices connected to it to be online at the same time.
You can also get them in larger sizes. 8 port, 16, 48....
Oct 2, 2018
Hello, I think I have the same issue, just not sure what the difference is between “switch,” and “splitter” .

I have a cable modem from Rogers, all ports are being used by devices. The lan cable that goes downstairs is plugged into another desktop. I added a “switch” with no marked input/output ports, sent one cable to the pc, one to the Xbox, and had connectivity. But no more.

Tell me to buy a router and I’ll just go do that...

Thanks for your time

USAFRet

Titan

If your "modem" is actually just a modem, then you do need a router.
How many ports are on the back of this modem?

Oct 2, 2018
Yeah, I have two of those, neither seem to be working... asus1005b and a no name model, won’t even act as an extension cord. I just bought the tplink archer c20... will this fix my problem?

Also, I did all the wiring myself, including putting the plugs on the cat5e (orange stripe, orange, green stripe, blue, blue stripe, green, brown stripe brown).

The pc is currently connected, but it seems a coincidence that both switches should be bad... but when I plug into them, no internet leaks out...

USAFRet

Titan

Do those cables work in any other use?
Direct from the router to a laptop or PC?

Oct 2, 2018

Oct 2, 2018
The cable from the cable company’s modem thing is currently plugged into the pc in the basement and works just fine.

If I plug into either of the two switches I have, they will not send the internet to their intended devices, the previously mentioned desktop pc, and an Xbox.

It did work when I installed the computer. It also worked when I added the switch and ran another cable to the Xbox. It kept disconnecting when the Xbox powered off, or for some other unknown reason. I would unplug and replug he switch and then the Xbox would work again. I also think the desktop lost connection too at some point.

Thanks for taking all this time for me, man. I appreciate it.

USAFRet

Titan
I'd try it with all premade cables.

Router->cable->switch->cable->PC.

It's actually not as easy as it looks to get those cables fully working the very first time.
Try another cable, before you discount it as being a bad switch. Cables are cheap.

Oct 2, 2018

Oct 2, 2018
Ok, I’ve made dozens over the years, i can remake both ends of the cables, and try the second dummy cable I ran too... (I always run two cables whenever I go through walls, floors or ceilings). But I’m pretty confident that my handiwork is probably good...

Is it possible to get connectivity on my pc, but not the switch if there’s a lan cable problem?
Because I HAVE working internet on the downstairs desktop, the same cable that I plugged into the switch to try and send 2 output cables to pc&xbox.

USAFRet

Titan

A bad cable will obviously make something not work.
And just to be clear...you have a single cable coming from the router to the switch, correct?

Oct 2, 2018

Oct 2, 2018
Yessir, ran a cat5e from the cablemodem straight downstairs to a desktop pc.

It works, the switch worked for a day or two, then no connectivity if a switch is used. The switches won’t even work as an extension cord.

Will this tplink archer c20 router help? I don’t mind ditching the switches. I have already ordered it...

USAFRet

Titan

A router needs a lot more pre use setup than a simple switch.
You have to dumb it down....disable ALL the router functionality.

That router is actually 3 parts inside one box.
1. The 'router', which does all the router stuff. DHCP, firewall, etc.
2. The wireless functionality
3. And a "switch". The 4 ports on the back are exactly equal to the switches you already have.

But you must turn off all the router functionality on this, otherwise you'll have far more issues.

Oct 2, 2018

Oct 2, 2018
Is there a networking term for what I am trying to do with the router?

Just trying to find out what all I need to do to the new router during pre-set up (disable functionality) to install it problem free with what I want to do. (I have decided to use the router, and not a switch because I also want the extra wifi signal that comes with it...

USAFRet

Titan

Pretty much, just like this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/36406-43-convert-wireless-router-wireless-access-point