[SOLVED] Ethernet stopped working (sort of) ?

EchnoRom

Honorable
Feb 7, 2016
I have an interesting problem with the internet in my apartment:

About a week ago I turned on my PC, and the Ethernet showes as "Network 2 No Internet". I hadn't been notified of any changes by the building management, and the WiFi was (and still is) working fine. This problem has persisted, although occasionally the Ethernet connects and works, usually for up to 5 minutes, then cuts out again.

I've tried three different computers (1 PC and 2 Laptops) on multiple ports with multiple cables and they have all had the same problem. This would normally lead me to believe it is a problem with the outlets in the apartment.

The thing I can't wrap my head around is that both my Roommates PS4's connect through Ethernet with no issue, and we have exchanged cables and ports to test the problem.

I'm currently in touch with the internet provider but they are having trouble finding an issue. Could it be a new Windows update or setting has caused the issue?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Solution
Not connected is a hardware problem of some type.

If you do IPCONFIG /ALL you will likely see media disconnected. This is a very different issue than if the media is connected and it doesn't have IP addresses or they are not valid in some way.

It is highly likely it is the in wall cables or the ethernet patch cables. The other option would be you have bad ports in multiple machines. Even a single bad port in equipment is very rare so it is likely a wiring issue.

I would first start by connecting a ethernet cable directly to the router. One key thing is you must be using quality ethernet cables. There is lots of fake cables and if you got sucked into buying cat7 or cat8 it is even more likely it fake.
You need...
Not connected is a hardware problem of some type.

If you do IPCONFIG /ALL you will likely see media disconnected. This is a very different issue than if the media is connected and it doesn't have IP addresses or they are not valid in some way.

It is highly likely it is the in wall cables or the ethernet patch cables. The other option would be you have bad ports in multiple machines. Even a single bad port in equipment is very rare so it is likely a wiring issue.

I would first start by connecting a ethernet cable directly to the router. One key thing is you must be using quality ethernet cables. There is lots of fake cables and if you got sucked into buying cat7 or cat8 it is even more likely it fake.
You need nothing real special, cat5e can run to 1gigabit so you need nothing with a larger number. What is key is the cable must be pure copper , no cca, and it must have wire size 22-24. This mostly means none of that flat or thin cable you see massive amounts being sold.
Even a quality cable can get damaged. The largest issue is a broken cable can work on some machines and not others and even randomly work. It tends to be some wire in one of the end is just slightly loose internally.

After you can consistently get thing to work directly plugged into the router you need to start investigating the path between the router and the wall jacks. There might be a switch in between and various patch cables between the router/switch and wall jacks on the router side. The in wall cables themselves seldom go bad.
Since these were likely professionally installed it is also likely it is not some issue with the wires in the jacks being in the wrong places. When you don't own the property it becomes a little messy when you talk about making changes to the wall jacks. You could pull them out and look if there was anything obviously wrong. Check that all
the wires appear to be connected firmly and are in the correct positions. If this was you house I would next recommend that you remove the wires cut off about 1/8 inch and then re punch them down. It is pretty easy unlike a rj45 plug because you can do 1 wire at a time rather than trying to align 8 to crimp on a end.

Solution