Question Need Upgrade to Nvidia RTX 2060, drop in replacement

Jul 10, 2024
Hi, I need an upgrade to my Nvidia RTX 2060 6GB video card. The recommended Ram to use ON1 Photo RAW is 8GB, and it's definitely running not as expected (especially after the recent update). Looking to get a drop-in replacement so i can change it myself.
Thanks in advance for any help!

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
An RTX4060 would be the most straightforward new upgrade. RX7600 is option 2. Should be OK with existing power supply. Many more options if you’re willing to look at used.

ON1 pretty vague on specs/scaling. Just says it needs OpenGL support. No one has done a comparative benchmark.

Reactions: 35below0
Jul 10, 2024
An RTX4060 would be the most straightforward new upgrade. RX7600 is option 2. Should be OK with existing power supply. Many more options if you’re willing to look at used.

ON1 pretty vague on specs/scaling. Just says it needs OpenGL support. No one has done a comparative benchmark.
OK, thanks. I'm not sure about used. Is that a good option if I buy from a reputable seller?

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
No worries. Petapixel mentioned a lot more AI features in a recent press release. No details on GPU acceleration though. A few other sites though have found the RTX 40xx series to improve Adobe Neural AI and Topaz AI performance significantly in comparison to RTX 20xx/30xx, even in the same class. Can’t say if this translates to ON1.

I think the limiting factor in your Omen is the 500W power supply. Anything higher spec than the 4060 might need a new PSU.

Reactions: zpuskas
Jul 10, 2024
One more question, looking at Amazon I see many brands of Geforce RTX 4060. such as PNT, msi, etc. I assume they are using Nvidia designs and marketing them with their brand. Is on brand better than another?

Also, does the RTX 4060 Ti version get me anything?

Last edited:

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
One more question, looking at Amazon I see many brands of Geforce RTX 4060. such as PNT, msi, etc. I assume they are using Nvidia designs and marketing them with their brand. Is on brand better than another?
Yes and no. The actual GPU part is the same, Cooler design and number of video ports might differ. No real benefit to going for an ‘overclocked’ version if it’s more expensive, especially for your application. Also no point going with more than 2 fans for a 4060. What’s more important is the after sales support, if anything was to go wrong.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
Can’t really say with any certainty for ON1. My guess is probably not.

Gamer crowd (and Tom’s) pretty much have consensus on 4060Ti being pointless, and might as well go to a 4070 or higher for a few extra $. But I don’t think you can run a 4070 on a 500W PSU.

PostScript. Check this thread here (especially that Computerbase forum link)
https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...htroom-90-photoshop-10.3848102/#post-23290554

Last edited:
Reactions: zpuskas
Jul 10, 2024
Yes and no. The actual GPU part is the same, Cooler design and number of video ports might differ. No real benefit to going for an ‘overclocked’ version if it’s more expensive, especially for your application. Also no point going with more than 2 fans for a 4060. What’s more important is the after sales support, if anything was to go wrong.
Thank you so much for your help. I appreciate the quick responses.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
4060 Ti is the next step up in performance, but comes with a higher power draw.

RTX 4060 115W
RTX 4060Ti 8GB or 16GB 160W.

16GB version only has more memory, no extra performance. This only really matters if you plan to run a very high resolution or settings.

Jul 10, 2024
4060 Ti is the next step up in performance, but comes with a higher power draw.

RTX 4060 115W
RTX 4060Ti 8GB or 16GB 160W.

16GB version only has more memory, no extra performance. This only really matters if you plan to run a very high resolution or settings.
Many thanks. Ordered the RTX 4060 and expect to be happy with that. Next step is probably a new computer. These photo programs are getting more and more AI so more resource driven.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
Many thanks. Ordered the RTX 4060 and expect to be happy with that. Next step is probably a new computer. These photo programs are getting more and more AI so more resource driven.
Good choice IMHO. 4060Ti offers around 10-15% performance improvement over 4060 in that neural filter comparison for 33% more cost, which doesn’t make sense.

You might also squeeze out a bit more life from your existing Omen with swapping your 16GB RAM to 32 or 64GB. The Ryzen 3700X CPU is still quite capable for general photo editing. Relatively cheap upgrade. Currently $55 for 32GB DDR4 3200 on Newegg.

PostScript. Looks like your PC only goes up to 32GB RAM.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2024
Good choice IMHO. 4060Ti offers around 10-15% performance improvement over 4060 in that neural filter comparison for 33% more cost, which doesn’t make sense.

You might also squeeze out a bit more life from your existing Omen with swapping your 16GB RAM to 32 or 64GB. The Ryzen 3700X CPU is still quite capable for general photo editing. Relatively cheap upgrade. Currently $55 for 32GB DDR4 3200 on Newegg.
Yes, I was thinking of upgrading the RAM but I wasn't sure which to use. I only have 2 slots so I assume I'll need 2x16GB to get to 32GB?

Jul 10, 2024
It's been several days since I ugraded bases on your recommendations and I'm very happy with the results. ON1 seems to work as it should and everything is a little quicker and quieter! Many thanks for your recommendations and help!
Zoltan

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024

Higher price tag?

And yes, you are correct. Various other brands largely don't matter however they do tweak performance slightly. They add in a modest overclock usually.

What matters more is that various manufacturers are free to arrange the GPU so that it takes up less space, or they make it shorter or longer. They add variety but the base performance is the same.
Also, when dealing with issues, you'll be dealing with vendor's customer service. Likewise, they will provide driver updates.

GPUs with 3 fans tend to make less noise because fans can run at lower rpm for the same cooling effect.

So pick the one with the best price, hopefully from a brand you trust and haven't had problems with, and one that doesn't install annoying bloatware.
Yes, I was thinking of upgrading the RAM but I wasn't sure which to use. I only have 2 slots so I assume I'll need 2x16GB to get to 32GB?
It's best that you buy a new 2x16Gb kit, and sell your existing RAM. RAM from two different kits almost never gets along.
Also, it is often the case that a motherboard has limits on how fast memory can run when all 4 slots are populated, so populating all four is only useful if RAM speed is not important.