Question Ethernet switch but in reverse possible?

Sep 6, 2023
I'm working a desk project, whereby I keep all the cables inside of a 2 thick wooden desk & its metal frame, I've more or less got every other cable figured out, but I've gotten stuck on the ethernet cable.

What I want to do is put an ethernet port either side of the desk (at the back of it), where I could then connect an ethernet cable directly to an router / satellie.

For reference I plan to buy the Netgear Orbi 6E when I have the money available, and will stick 1 of the satellites in my bedroom with my computer, now ideally I don't want to be seeing a large ethernet cable dangling around by my PC, and whilst Wifi 6E is current best out there, I also game and so don't want to lose out to latency issues, hence the wired connection from the satellite to the computer.

Now the reason for wanting an ethernet port either side of the desk, is based on room parameters and how much space I have available, for example in my current bedroom, my desk is pushed up against the wall on the back and right side, so I want it to be possible to provide a connection to the computer from the Orbi, from whichever side is not being block by a wall.

I saw a thread which was similar to what I want but not the same, as I don't want to split the cable connections of 1 cable into 2 and then unsplit them, rather have those 2 cables act as a single input from the Orbi and 1 output directly into the computer.
Note the output will be purely from whichever of the 2 ethernet cables is plugged into the Orbi, with the other remaining unusable.

Another example is picturing a HDMI switch (2 inputs & 1 output) but replacing HDMI with Ethernet instead.

Is this possible to do and are there any solutions that involve cat8, as I'm using this in my setup for future proof?

Solution
I'm working a desk project, whereby I keep all the cables inside of a 2 thick wooden desk & its metal frame, I've more or less got every other cable figured out, but I've gotten stuck on the ethernet cable.

What I want to do is put an ethernet port either side of the desk (at the back of it), where I could then connect an ethernet cable directly to an router / satellie.

For reference I plan to buy the Netgear Orbi 6E when I have the money available, and will stick 1 of the satellites in my bedroom with my computer, now ideally I don't want to be seeing a large ethernet cable dangling around by my PC, and whilst Wifi 6E is current best out there, I also game and so don't want to lose out to latency issues, hence the wired...

kanewolf

Titan

For reference I plan to buy the Netgear Orbi 6E when I have the money available, and will stick 1 of the satellites in my bedroom with my computer, now ideally I don't want to be seeing a large ethernet cable dangling around by my PC, and whilst Wifi 6E is current best out there, I also game and so don't want to lose out to latency issues, hence the wired connection from the satellite to the computer.

Now the reason for wanting an ethernet port either side of the desk, is based on room parameters and how much space I have available, for example in my current bedroom, my desk is pushed up against the wall on the back and right side, so I want it to be possible to provide a connection to the computer from the Orbi, from whichever side is not being block by a wall.

I saw a thread which was similar to what I want but not the same, as I don't want to split the cable connections of 1 cable into 2 and then unsplit them, rather have those 2 cables act as a single input from the Orbi and 1 output directly into the computer.
Note the output will be purely from whichever of the 2 ethernet cables is plugged into the Orbi, with the other remaining unusable.

Another example is picturing a HDMI switch (2 inputs & 1 output) but replacing HDMI with Ethernet instead.

Is this possible to do and are there any solutions that involve cat8, as I'm using this in my setup for future proof?
A switch would allow all sides of your desk to be active. If nothing is plugged in, it won't be used and won't impact the side that is plugged in. A switch allows ANY port to connect to all other ports. It is not a one-to-many. It is an any-to-any-other. You could have three "input" ports, your PC and an ORBI satellite. They would all work on one ethernet cable from the wall.

Reactions: InsertTitle
Solution
Sep 6, 2023
A switch would allow all sides of your desk to be active. If nothing is plugged in, it won't be used and won't impact the side that is plugged in. A switch allows ANY port to connect to all other ports. It is not a one-to-many. It is an any-to-any-other. You could have three "input" ports, your PC and an ORBI satellite. They would all work on one ethernet cable from the wall.
Ah perfect, didn't realise that you could do that with a switch, I always thought it was a one-to-many, my mistake. that solves everything.

Thank you very much.

PhysX_HW

Distinguished
Are you planning to use the orbi sa a wifi receiver, which is then wired to your PC only?
If so, just get a USB adapter, it will likely be better. If you're planning to connect other devices as well to the orbi, then just stick with it.