[SOLVED] Ethernet switch connection to router

Feb 10, 2021
My study has no connection with my Virgin wireless router so I ran a wire direct from the router to my PC in the study and all is wellnow.
When I realised only the PC is connected I bought an Ethernet switch to connect more devices. I plug in the wire from the router to the switch, then a wire from the switch to the PC. Result is no connection at all.
I have tried a few switches in desperation - same result. Tried crossover and straight cables no result and have read that switches are smart and adapt to cable types anyway
Current one is TPLink 5 port TL-SF1005D.
Any ideas would be much appreciated

Solution
It should just work as simple as that.

Not sure the switch is only 10/100 but all modern equipment has automdix even on 10/100 ports. You seldom need crossover cables anymore.

Do you get lights on the switch. Not sure what they show but generally you get a light when you plug something in.
It should just work as simple as that.

Not sure the switch is only 10/100 but all modern equipment has automdix even on 10/100 ports. You seldom need crossover cables anymore.

Do you get lights on the switch. Not sure what they show but generally you get a light when you plug something in.

Solution
It almost has to be a cable issue. The switch is completely transparent. It should in effect act as a cable splice when you only have 1 pc.

I would try putting the switch close to the router so you can try different combinations of cables. Poorly made or fake cable tend to have all kinds of strange issues. Make sure you have cat5e or better cables. The cable needs to be pure copper (no cca) and needs to be wire size 22-24 (no flat or thin cables)