Ethernet switch problem

james.askew

Prominent
Sep 12, 2017
I have a sky Q modem / router with its standard two inbuilt ports and four devices that I want to connect via Ethernet cable.

I bought a tp-link switch a while ago which solved this problem but after a few months disuse, the devices weren’t working when I hooked it all back up again.

Thinking this was due to dust ingress (house is a building site at the moment), I bought a new switch, however the problem persists.

The Ethernet cables all work as I’ve tested them by connecting them directly into the modem, so I think I’m missing a step with the switch.

The items are: Philips Hue bridge, PlayStation 4, Apple TV, and my PC.

Solution
Most switches people buy are unmanaged. This means even if you wanted to there is nothing you can configure or set. They pretty much just add more ports to your router. They do not block or filter any data.

I would be more suspect of something wrong with the router since you have tested your cables. Be very sure to try multiple combinations of cables, some bad cables work on some devices but not others.
Most switches people buy are unmanaged. This means even if you wanted to there is nothing you can configure or set. They pretty much just add more ports to your router. They do not block or filter any data.

I would be more suspect of something wrong with the router since you have tested your cables. Be very sure to try multiple combinations of cables, some bad cables work on some devices but not others.

Solution