Question Ethernet switch to connect PS4 to PC?

Apr 22, 2019
Hi all,

I was wondering if I could use an unmanaged ethernet switch to connect my PS4 to my PC to use a VPN for gaming. My current setup is as follows:

Modem>power line adapter>PC
and Modem> power line adapter>ethernet switch>PS4 (and other consoles)

My wifi connection in this area of the house is just awful so I need to keep the network connection cabled through the power line adapter. Most how-tos say to connect the PS4 to the PC using an ethernet cable, but my PC only has one ethernet port. Based on about 10 minutes of googling, I don't think my modem can have a VPN installed on it.

So I assume the ideal config would be:
modem>power line adapter>ethernet switch>PC/PS4

Would I be able to connect to my PC's VPN this way and how would make sure my PS4 connects to my PC rather than my home network?

I also use an ethernet to USB adapter to connect my Nintendo Switch to the network. The PS4 doesn't have the capability to connect to a network via USB but would it work to connect to my PC through one of its USB ports?

Thanks

Lets just say at your skill level you are not going to get this to work.

It is rather tricky to use a pc as a vpn for another device and thats with 2 ethernet ports. With only 1 you have added another layer of complexity. Not a beginner vpn project.

You can hook both your pc and PS4 to a switch but it will just allow both of them to share the powerline connection back to your router. The device you are calling a modem must have both modem and router function since you have multiple devices hooked to it.

The simplest way to create a vpn for multiple devices is to use a router that has the ability to act as a VPN client. You would use it instead of a switch and hook your pc and the ps4 to the power line. This is much simpler than trying to have you pc act as a vpn for the ps4 but router based VPN will take some research on how to setup. It depends on the VPN provider you are using.

Reactions: digitalgriffin
Lets just say at your skill level you are not going to get this to work.

It is rather tricky to use a pc as a vpn for another device and thats with 2 ethernet ports. With only 1 you have added another layer of complexity. Not a beginner vpn project.

You can hook both your pc and PS4 to a switch but it will just allow both of them to share the powerline connection back to your router. The device you are calling a modem must have both modem and router function since you have multiple devices hooked to it.

The simplest way to create a vpn for multiple devices is to use a router that has the ability to act as a VPN client. You would use it instead of a switch and hook your pc and the ps4 to the power line. This is much simpler than trying to have you pc act as a vpn for the ps4 but router based VPN will take some research on how to setup. It depends on the VPN provider you are using.

Bill is quite correct. Getting a router that supports VPN client is the way to go.

Otherwise you'll need to use bridge mode with 2 ethernet cards and all kinds of port forwarding. It takes some skill to set it up properly. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-set-and-manage-network-bridge-connection-windows-10