Question Ethernet switch vs Router

Jul 14, 2024
Were planning on going on vacation in a few days and I need something for a mini “lan party” just 3 people including me and was wondering if it’s more optimal to buy a router or a network switch or Ethernet switch? Which is most ideal for lowest latency? In this scenario we are at an air bnb with no internet connection maybe in a car this setup would be for traveling particularly.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
If the AirBnb does not have any wifi or internet, one of you need a smartphone with data plan and hotspot feature that can be turned on so the other two can connect (but many wireless isp company only allow one connection or even none). All of you should check what plans you have.

Not wired router or wired (ethernet) switch.

You can buy a sim card 5G router(with ethernet ports) or 5G hotspot , and then buy a sim card and plug it in and then share the internet for a few days. But it's not worth it in my opinion.

Last edited:
The LAN ports on a router are actually a small switch. Many years ago they used to use the same chip as small switches now they manufacture it all on one chip but the function is still independent of the router function.

A switch might be cheaper but it does not have wifi if that is important and it will not provide IP addresses to your device, you must manually set the IP or find another way.

The latency will be the same the switch function is done by asic both in a switch and in a router. If traffic would go to the WAN port for internet then there is some extra latency. Even in this case the latency is close to undetectable it is well below even 1ms.

Winterson

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2014
For the total cost of a Airbnb stay the owner should be providing at least a DSL connection to the internet. We only stay at places that provide internet Wifi access. In 2024 that does not limit us at all.