[SOLVED] ETHERNET TO CABLE CONNECTION FOR INTERNET? COAX? HELP - wifi to end of garden

May 13, 2020
Hi I am attaching some pictures

I used to have internet wired connection from my house to the end of my garden, that supplier was finished years ago but the cables ect is all still in place. the wires lead from the garden all the way to the front of the house and on the inside is this connection picture attached https://ibb.co/vB2kStt my question is,
can i just / is it possible to connect a converter to that connection and run a cat5/ethernet cable form my existing wifi router to this? that will then give wired connection to the end of the garden? thanks

Solution
Is it not possible to run a new Cat6 cable to replace the old coax one? Or you could set up a wireless mesh network for wifi.

The problem with MOCA is it's low speed of 100MB max, and the requirement for power.

It's obviously a huge hassle to dig up the trench that the wire is situated in and run new cat 6 cable. However, if the cable is in a pipe, it could be easy enough to fish the ethernet through by pulling with the existing coax.

MOCA is actually capable of 2.5gbe now and significantly better than Mesh wifi. Mesh wifi systems are garbage, the software on them is usually very limited and they don't normally have very good bandwidth. I don't recommend Mesh systems unless you just need a system to connect all your media...
May 13, 2020
Hi I am attaching some pictures

I used to have internet wired connection from my house to the end of my garden, that supplier was finished years ago but the cables ect is all still in place. the wires lead from the garden all the way to the front of the house and on the inside is this connection picture attached https://ibb.co/vB2kStt my question is,
can i just / is it possible to connect a converter to that connection and run a cat5/ethernet cable form my existing wifi router to this? that will then give wired connection to the end of the garden? thanks

Not sure what the box is but if you have tv coax between the house and the garden you might be able to use a technology called Moca. To some extent it depends on the quality of your cable but mostly it is limited to 300ft.

You will need power and some way to protect the device if this is not in a building at the far end.

Reactions: SamirD
May 13, 2020
Not sure what the box is but if you have tv coax between the house and the garden you might be able to use a technology called Moca. To some extent it depends on the quality of your cable but mostly it is limited to 300ft.

You will need power and some way to protect the device if this is not in a building at the far end.

thanks for the reply the wires run all the way to the back room in the garden pic attached https://ibb.co/gzM7Dn6
what would i need to make it work?

All we can see in the second picture is a white box, it would be helpful if you took the cover off to see the connections.

I think you have coaxial cable, but it could be RG59. You can buy a set of MOCA adapters to convert from ethernet to Coax, then back again. But RG59 might be iffy. You'll have to guess and check to see if it works.

May 13, 2020
All we can see in the second picture is a white box, it would be helpful if you took the cover off to see the connections.

I think you have coaxial cable, but it could be RG59. You can buy a set of MOCA adapters to convert from ethernet to Coax, then back again. But RG59 might be iffy. You'll have to guess and check to see if it works.
hi looks like the connection has had paint inside it but here is the inside
https://ibb.co/zfKXGpf pic attached

ps thanks for replying!

Looks like the standard F type coax connector they've been using on TV cable for decades. It's hard to tell from your low resolution pictures.

Amazon has a good return policy, which is why I recommend buying from them. If it doesn't work, you can send it all back. You might just have to pay for return shipping.

Is it not possible to run a new Cat6 cable to replace the old coax one? Or you could set up a wireless mesh network for wifi.

The problem with MOCA is it's low speed of 100MB max, and the requirement for power.

It's obviously a huge hassle to dig up the trench that the wire is situated in and run new cat 6 cable. However, if the cable is in a pipe, it could be easy enough to fish the ethernet through by pulling with the existing coax.

MOCA is actually capable of 2.5gbe now and significantly better than Mesh wifi. Mesh wifi systems are garbage, the software on them is usually very limited and they don't normally have very good bandwidth. I don't recommend Mesh systems unless you just need a system to connect all your media consumption devices and don't need high bandwidth. Streaming 1080p, surfing the internet is fine with mesh, but when you have heavy downloads, uploads, backups etc... Mesh becomes a huge bottleneck. Most normal consumers probably wouldn't notice though.

Even if you were using very old moca adapter and 100mbps was their MAX. I would still use that over a mesh system because the speed of Moca will be alot more stable.

Watch this comparison:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpwycWIkSYk

Last edited:
Reactions: SamirD and bill001g
Solution
I have not used those unit linked in the above post but those have the very latest form of moca and many people say that they actually can get 1gbit speeds which is all their pc will do. I suspect it is affected by the quality of the cable like any moca but I would suspect it get more than 100mbps even on poor cables.

Before spending $100+ on equipment, I'd make sure that this cable is actually a cable, and not two connectors hanging off the wall. You can use simple Ohm-meter (continuity meter) by shorting the cable at one end, and checking t the other (and making sure that is properly changes when shorted and not).

And if you don't have any ohm-meters or other testers, just put an antenna on the end in the garden and connect a tv inside and see if you can pick up any channels, even if they're not clear. Then disconnect the cable--if the picture goes away, the line is working because the antenna outside was where the picture was coming from. :D