Ethernet Troubles on Desktop (Attempting to Authenticate?)

JJH0421

Reputable
Aug 7, 2015
Hello everyone,

Recently I've run into an issue regarding my desktop where my ethernet connectivity has suddenly decided to stop functioning. I'm under the impression that this may be hardware related, but in the case that it's not I hope that someone more knowledgeable on the matter will be able to assist me.

I'm certain that the cable and "router" (university connection so no actual router, just a port to connect to) are both fine. I've tested the physical connection with a laptop and all my other devices don't have any issues.

I've attempted to update the drivers for the LAN port and rolled it back, but neither caused any change (obtained driver from MSI, as my motherboard is an MSI z370 Gaming Plus).

In my network connections the status of my ethernet connection shows as "Attempting to Authenticate" (with bytes still being sent and received). I'm unsure what this exactly entails, but other online solutions I've tried to look into didn't seem to be of help.

Lastly, the two lights on the LAN port are active (a solid orange and a blinking yellow) which I've read indicates speed and activity. This is the one reason I feel that the hardware may still be fine, since it at least implies that a connection is registered by the computer, right?

Okay, just tried uninstalling and reinstalling the LAN driver thinking it could be possibly different from simply updating the driver. I'm now being asked to do a windows security sign in, even though I only enter the system via pin number (though there IS a sign in but I've been unable to get rid of it, this computer was bought a couple months back from another person and he says that he deleted everything and couldn't get rid of it either). Any how, when I put in my normal windows information for the sign in, the device now says that the Authentication has failed. Diagnosing it states that the "ethernet doesn't have valid ip configuration". So, now I have an even bigger headache.

I'm at my wits end with this issue, is there anyone who could help me with this?