Ethernet wall jacks problem

Feb 5, 2019
Hi, firt time here, so i just found out my house has ethernet jacks, but when i connect my router to a jack and my pc to a diferent jack in another room, my pc won't recognize ethernet connection.(wi-fi pc off ofc)
But when directly plugged to the router i can have Ethernet. The problem i believe is that the jack that im using with my router might not be the one that gives other jacks ethernet, or i mean the main one. How can i verify which one is the main one? I know that before me the people who lived here had ethernet connection, i just dont know where they had the router or connected to which jack, TY

Feb 5, 2019
Yeah ty guys, i believe its one of the two at my pc room, but i still need a switch to connet to jack adn then connect pc to switch?
Sorry for dumb questions, but i always had ethernet connected straight from route(not possible in this house)

kanewolf

Titan
If router is in room "A" and PC is in room "B" then somewhere there is a central location where the cables from room A and B are co-located. You would put a LAN port from the router into the wall plate in A which would go to a port on a switch in the common location. Then the cable from B would plug into that switch and you would get a network between A and B. Since you have a switch in the common location, you could enable wall plugs in "C", "D", and "E" without changing the router.

kanewolf

Titan

If you stream media internal to your home or want to backup to a network share, you will benefit from gigabit switch. There is no downside to having gigabit networking internal to your house.