[SOLVED] Ethernet wall port not working

davidawesomea

Reputable
Jan 11, 2018
Hello,
I am currently living in a house that was built about 8 months ago. My PC connected to the ethernet just fine in my previous house but does not connect at all now, and I suspect this is because the ethernet wall ports don't even work. I have tested multiple times and made sure that the ethernet port on my PC works and that the cables work too.
After looking at some threads online and at my own internet area in my house I think it might be because the individual rooms aren't connected to the internet in my house at all. I took a few pictures to try to help visualize this situation:
image1.jpg

That switch is plugged in to the wall with a power cable and is connected to the router through the yellow ethernet cable, and to the wall through the blue cable. The blue cable has a label on it that looks like it says "HR 1". The only other cable that comes out of that spiraling mess that actually has a head on it has a label that looks like it says "HR a".
image3.jpg

This picture shows more of the spiraling mess. There are multiple of the cables I'm holding up in the picture that read the names of rooms in my housse such as "N.E. Bed" (northeast bedroom) and "office". None of these cables have heads on them. Same goes for all of the white cables back there aside from the power cable to the switch, except none of the white cables have any labels. All I really know is that I plug the wall ethernet cable into the switch then plug the other part of it into the router and it gives the router a signal.

Can anyone help me with this? I would really like to get my ethernet working for a better connection and I'm unsure how.

FYI the switch model is the UBIQUITI GP-J240-030G, and my internet provider is Rocky Mountain Internet. (satellite internet)

Solution
How does internet enter the premises? From satellite to an rj45 network wall plug?

The white rectangular device you're holding is power over Ethernet adapter. You'd use that to receive data and power surveillance cameras etc over an ethernet cable.

The internet plugs into the Wan port on the router.
Those cables need to have ends put on them so they then plug into the router to give lan/internet access to the rooms.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
How does internet enter the premises? From satellite to an rj45 network wall plug?

The white rectangular device you're holding is power over Ethernet adapter. You'd use that to receive data and power surveillance cameras etc over an ethernet cable.

Those cables need to have ends put on them so they then plug into the router to give lan/internet access to the rooms.

Last edited:
Reactions: davidawesomea
Solution

davidawesomea

Reputable
Jan 11, 2018

Thanks so much, this makes lots more sense. It is from satellite to that RJ45 connector. When I’m home I’ll try plugging that directly into the router to make sure it works, then put ends on thise other ethernet cavles and conmect them. I really couldn’t be thankful enough.

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks so much, this makes lots more sense. It is from satellite to that RJ45 connector. When I’m home I’ll try plugging that directly into the router to make sure it works, then put ends on thise other ethernet cavles and conmect them. I really couldn’t be thankful enough.
If you are terminating ethernet cables, especially in-wall cables, I HIGHLY recommend you get a basic continuity tester like this one -- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CI9NRM/ Buy 100ft of bulk cable and cut off a few 6 ft pieces. PRACTICE on those first. Get used to how to keep the wires straight and in the correct 568B order. After you have successfully practiced a dozen cable terminations, then go to the in-wall cables. MUCH lower probability of messing up those cables if you have practiced first.

Reactions: boju

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Bit strange leaving the cables like that bare. Would think if the rooms were done, there'd be a wall plate finishing the job. These cables feeding through a grommet plate
makes me wonder if these cables lead to surveillance camera points?

Last edited:
Reactions: bencos2018

TRENDING THREADS