Question Ethernet won’t show up after safe boot ?

greammy

Commendable
Jan 8, 2020
Hi, So I recently upgraded my GPU, I decided that I would do a fresh start by using the fresh restart option in the settings. A friend of mine told me to run DDU to have a clean slate for my new GPU, the app instructed me to do a safe boot and shut down the PC, I installed my new GPU and proceeded to turn the computer on. Problem is that now even when I restarted multiple times to get out of safe boot my ethernet is not being detected like it was, before I went into safe boot. I have tried updating all drivers and checked my modem and switched out my ethernet cable.

what I have noticed:
  • the lights on the motherboard ethernet port is not lighting up
  • my motherboard is not capable of using WIFI so I use a Tp link usb adapter to use WIFI which works fine
the ethernet is not detected at all

greammy

Commendable
Jan 8, 2020
Did you use msconfig to make the PC boot into safe mode? If so it will keep booting into safe mode until you turn it off in the msconfig settings.

What do you mean by 'fresh start'?
no i used (shift + restart) which brought me to a menu where i clicked safe mode

what i mean by fresh start was i wiped all files using the recovery function in settings

It all depends on what you wiped. Tends to be easier to just reinstall windows and tell it to wipe stuff.

In any case this appears similar to the issue you see when you first install windows but do not load the drivers that come with the motherboard. I guess it depends if you can see the ethernet port in the device manager. Generally if you see anything the motherboard driver is ok. You can then see if it has some kind of error with the device driver.

I suspect the fastest way to fix this is to reinstall windows if you don't have anything on the machine you need. Windows does have the option to install without wiping files so that is a option also.