EU Courts Asked to Rule On ACTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]MicroGoliath[/nom]Gezuz when they just gonna drop this shit idea? No one wants except the gov and big companies.[/citation]
That's the whole point of SOPA, PIPA and ACTA. Doing what they can to save the big corporations at the expense of the civil rights.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
"This debate must be based upon facts, and not upon the misinformation and rumour that has dominated social media sites and blogs in recent weeks."

Great, so we're also going to have a debate free of lies from the media industry? Will we finally have some substantial evidence that directly connects a loss of income or jobs with copyright infringement instead of the assumption that every single downloaded file is a "lost sale"? Will we finally stop calling it "piracy" when there is no robbery at sea taking place?

Every country that votes this in is making a bold statement that they do not represent the wishes of their people. Keep on clearing up where your allegiances lie, at least the US had the sense to hide it under the table until the heat dies down and pretend they work for the people.

G

Noteworthy, 22 EU states have signed it but none (no country in the world) has ratified it, people can still get in touch with their local politicians and ask this not be supported

shoelessinsight

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
From what I can tell, ACTA in its current revision wouldn't have much impact on the internet in the U.S., as it is pretty similar to the laws that are already in place here. Other countries may have cause to worry, however, if their home laws are currently less restrictive than those in the U.S.

The original version of ACTA truly was scary, hence all the "worse than SOPA" claims. But because of some leaked info from the secret meetings (thanks, Wikileaks!), there was a lot of early backlash, resulting in the fairly tame current revision.

There are still some questionable things left that don't deal with the internet. For example, ACTA could crush a lot of generic medicines, leaving expensive name-brand drugs as the only option for many people. On the other hand, that provision could theoretically take the unsafe, poorly made drugs off the market.

QEFX

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
[citation][nom]Microgoliath[/nom]Gezuz when they just gonna drop this shit idea? No one wants except the gov and big companies.[/citation]

The only way I'd support this is if the companies (and I'm thinking movie, TV, games & music) put all the money they spend on lawyers, gov't bribes (I mean donations) & copyright tech into making better ... make that much much better products.

No more crappy movies, no more TV with scripts written by 4 year olds (or at least by people with the skill of 4 year olds), no more buggy overpriced games and no more autotune "music". If these companies would make something actually worth buying ... I'll spend my money. If you only give us garbage ... good luck.

tonitelaoag

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
its all about control and censorship for the authorities to have some form of power over us because without it chaos and anarchy arises, but when it comes to implementation its another story, that is where authorities abuse some of the powers given to them. i think we come to a point where it limits us on the use of our freedom because someone got the rights(patented) first and we have to pay in order to use it and because of these collisions of tech sometimes we have to cross others right(patent) in order to survive without paying for it.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]"This debate must be based upon facts, and not upon the misinformation and rumour that has dominated social media sites and blogs in recent weeks."Great, so we're also going to have a debate free of lies from the media industry? Will we finally have some substantial evidence that directly connects a loss of income or jobs with copyright infringement instead of the assumption that every single downloaded file is a "lost sale"? Will we finally stop calling it "piracy" when there is no robbery at sea taking place?Every country that votes this in is making a bold statement that they do not represent the wishes of their people. Keep on clearing up where your allegiances lie, at least the US had the sense to hide it under the table until the heat dies down and pretend they work for the people.[/citation]

here is something that i love.
cds use to cost 10$
most only had 1-3 songs out of 8-12 that were worth buying, and they cost 10$
music sales arent down by 1/8 or 1/4 what they use to be though...

just thought those numbers were funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.