EU Fines Microsoft for Failing to Comply with Browser Ballot

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Still its not fair that Microsoft has to offer a ballot and advertise other companies web browsers and educated people about them. People will find out about other web browsers on their own and don't need help and they will install it when ready. Having a new user that doesn't know how to use IE is bad, since they are now limited when they use a different pc that has IE. Also smart users will use IE to install a webbrowser of their choice. A dumb user using a ballot may instal.l a webbrowser that is a bad choice as they never really had experience with it before. So a ballot system is not that useful.

Also with the amount of advertising and bundling google tries to do to push people to chrome, almost seems illegal. Ex: google mail looks better in chrome, or having google always try to get you to install chrome every time you search for something. Getting pissed at it.

Anyways google is a titan, chrome is picking up marketshare, no point in having the ballot system unless the EU wants google to be the new monopoly.

Ballot system only makes new users 'stupid' as they lack skills to use IE.

Now here is an idea, if you have a ballot system, advertise only the web browsers with smaller market share.

Also its not fair for MS to include 3rd party web browsers with their installation, MS should make money from it, because ultimately they are responsible if any problems. So I think the EU went too far.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Still its not fair that Microsoft has to offer a ballot and advertise other companies web browsers and educated people about them. People will find out about other web browsers on their own and don't need help and they will install it when ready. Having a new user that doesn't know how to use IE is bad, since they are now limited when they use a different pc that has IE. Also smart users will use IE to install a webbrowser of their choice. A dumb user using a ballot may instal.l a webbrowser that is a bad choice as they never really had experience with it before. So a ballot system is not that useful.

Also with the amount of advertising and bundling google tries to do to push people to chrome, almost seems illegal. Ex: google mail looks better in chrome, or having google always try to get you to install chrome every time you search for something. Getting pissed at it.

Anyways google is a titan, chrome is picking up marketshare, no point in having the ballot system unless the EU wants google to be the new monopoly.

Now here is an idea, if you have a ballot system, advertise only the web browsers with smaller market share.

Also its not fair for MS to include 3rd party web browsers with their installation, MS should make money from it, because ultimately they are responsible if any problems. So I think the EU went too far.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008

albert 89

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
I installed win8 a day before deadline, tried to install the free media centre an hour later but the MS website was down. I tried again a day later but it said I had to pay $9.99. I rang MS explained but they said too bad ! What comes around goes around ! They get what they deserve ! Bill gates' wallet will be a little light this quarter.

cinergy

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
[citation][nom]wannabepro[/nom]I'm not a big fan of IE. But it seems to me that EU just wants a bit of spending money...If someone can't go online to download another browser, they don't deserve to own a computer.[/citation]

Way to miss the point doofus. If MS don't want to comply with EU laws they can leave the market. They had plenty of time to do the ballot but they refused to do it and therefore accepted the consequences.

cinergy

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
[citation][nom]edogawa[/nom]This is dumb on so many levels, they shouldn't force Microsoft to put a competitors product on their product.If you want another browser they can just go online and get any of them, and if you can't figure that out you shouldn't be on a computer.[/citation]

You are so dumb you must be American. EU didn't require to put a competitors product in their installer medium. They required a ballot that would have had links to other browser installers. Then you could choose what browser you'd like (even IE) from the get go.

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
[citation][nom]alextheblue[/nom]This is about IE, and IE hardly has a monopoly. They just go after Microsoft because they're an easy target. You are free to install any browser available - how is that a monopoly? You wouldn't know a monopoly if you got whacked in the head with a vertical consolidation stick.[/citation]
The type of people this is aimed at wouldn't know about other browsers though, would they? Remember the 90%+ share a bit over 10 years ago? That's kinda one sided.

No, it has nothing to do with choice. It has to do with pricing. Lo and behold, with Windows market share dropping, what do we see? Windows 8 going cheaper and with less restrictions than Windows 7 (you no longer need to buy a full retail license for nearly $200 if you build your own computer).

Status
Not open for further replies.