EU Reduces Roaming Charges for European Union

Status
Not open for further replies.

synthaside

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
Having just come back from a week touring around Europe im still disgusted by the concept of "roaming" , while its good the Eu are capping it If im paying
o2 or vodaphone a monthly fee , O2.BE or vodaphone.de ( belguim / german devisions of the company) shouldn't really count as roaming they are the same god damn company . If you look at the new price's the networks are setting there pretty much all charging the max .... "because they can"

Vodaphone are a little less evil about it allowing you to use your domestic minutes for a £3 PER DAY surcharge which if your a medium user is probably worthwhile but that also shows they are obviously the same organisation just ripping you off , we live in a multicultural Europe where i can drive from the UK to Germany in five hours its not really roaming anymore.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Unlocked phone + local sim card + calling cards to call outside of local country = fixed :)
People who pay roaming are usually the ones who have too much money like business people who who need to use same number for their clients to be able to contact them or those who don't research the costs before using their sim in a foreign country.

Forgot a "small detail": the price caps are only for EU member countries. If coming from anywhere else the old roaming charges will still apply (or whatever charges your operator has agreed upon with their EU partners).

Makes sense... I hope they can now do something that really matters, like... i dont know, one universal language, less burocracy, lower taxes and ... oh sorry, i forgot those are just dreams.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
pro tip: texting is data, 1mb of text is enough to cover a whole novel, but they would charge you upwards a grand if you sent that many texts... price gouging HOOOOOO

wydileie

Distinguished
May 14, 2010

pro tip: It really isn't, at least in the way you are inferring. SMS/MMS have their own protocols and the way your phone company sends it to your phone isn't via the same way it sends "data" to your phone. Strictly speaking, you are correct, because a phone call, Internet usage, or MMS/SMS are all "data", but you are wrong in suggesting that sending an SMS is the same as going to TomsHardware on your phone's web browser.

That being said, you are correct that they are massively overcharging for their services. Phone companies love SMS because it puts an extremely small load on their systems and they can charge you a ton of money for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.