EU Responds to MSFT's Antitrust Case Solution

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I think its hilarious the MSFT did that. They have every right to not put a browser in it. Nobody can force them to offer competitive products. That would be like Pizza hut having to sell dominos pizza.... or Pepsi vending machines having to offer Coke, to be fair. GET REAL.

BTW, good luck downloading a browser when there isn't one installed :) Cant go to firefox.com or google.com or anything. Good luck reverting to CD...

Nicely done MSFT

erikstarcher

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
What most people seem to forget it that OEM's can install whatever they want to on a new computer. What is going to happen when IE is still on every computer because HP, Dell etc installs it.

G

That's simply stupid. Why would any business advertise their competitors. What's next... forcing Pepsi products in a coke vending machine...? Does that sound any different?

josh jones

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
People seem to be getting the bigger picture. The EU is leeching money from these companies by using conflict that in some cases, is over a decade old. I really think it's silly that microsoft is trying to punish the EU countries by saying NO BROWSWR. I would also say that it's not microsoft's responsibility to educate people on browser or media player alternatives. perhaps it's time for the US government to stop the EU (parasite) from taking money from these companies because this really does hurt US citizens who rely on companies for work and investment.

azetec

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
Those from EU commission don't give a fuck about IE or MP bundled in the OS they just come up with these motives to take Microsoft's hard earned cash. After these they will come up with other endless motives so that the cash will flow freely from Microsoft to EU's accounts.

AND IF THEY CAN TAKE MICROSOFT'S CASH --THEY WILL-- AND NOTHING AND NO ONE CA STOP THEM, THAT'S JUST THE THINGS GO HERE IN EUROPE IT'S ALL ABOUT CHARLATANS TAKING MONEY FROM THE HONEST ONES

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]azetec[/nom]Those from EU commission don't give a fuck about IE or MP bundled in the OS they just come up with these motives to take Microsoft's hard earned cash. After these they will come up with other endless motives so that the cash will flow freely from Microsoft to EU's accounts.AND IF THEY CAN TAKE MICROSOFT'S CASH --THEY WILL-- AND NOTHING AND NO ONE CA STOP THEM, THAT'S JUST THE THINGS GO HERE IN EUROPE IT'S ALL ABOUT CHARLATANS TAKING MONEY FROM THE HONEST ONES[/citation]

It seems the only way to stop it is for the U.S. Government to start retaliating and putting up trade barriers to European products. The problem is, it's probably the French creating problems, because that's just what they do. The Brits and Germans have pride and probably aren't involved in this incessant nonsense. They would be easy to punish, since they make stuff good enough to be sold here.

And there's the problem. How do you punish the French? What do they export, besides problems? The only thing I can think of is French Maids, and who wants to stop that export? They probably export wine too, but does it really amount to enough. Still, if we added a "degenerate tariff", on all sorts of sinful indulgences, chances are we'd nail just about every French product, and maybe it would add up.

Clearly though, the EU is going too far. It would be really bad to hurt the Brits, since they are close allies, and a little bad to hurt the Germans, because I can't imagine they are involved in this underhandedness, but somehow we have to punish the EU for punishing our companies. If not, it will just continue unabated as they suck the blood from their American hosts. We aren't strong enough to allow it, right now.

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
The EU forgot that we saved their asses 50 years ago. Nice repayment plan. The EU is battling anti-trust / monopoly issues when in fact they are a monopoly themselves.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
good going EU. Hell i would do the same thing. If the EU cried like that to me over and over about spending all my money to sell other peopels products i would just be like fine. no IE means no "anti trust" good job MS. If it wouldnt hit thier wallets so hard i would even go as far as refusing to sell to any of the unions countrys. But that would really hurt them in the wallet to much i think. Then again no more product no more support and no more licence for everyone in EU wouldnt just hurt MS either. hey they could and likely would move on to a new platform i just wonder how much they would lose during the whole process.

Is great i just posted ina couple otehr EU vs ms threads here and they all bitched cried and whined about IE being in windows now they are doing the same thing now thats its not in there. make up your freaking mind. MS is not going to and should not be forced to advertise other peoples products.

G

That is a brilliant move by MSFT.

Even though OEMs will be able to install a browser of their choice, MSFT usually has tight deals with these OEMs and will undoubtedly buy OEMs off to install IE8 anyway.

Sounds costly, but it's a win for MS.

I'm not from the US or the EU but it is clearly an unfair stance that the EU has taken. I wouldn't put it past them if they were just in it for the money.

Cuddles

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
I can just see the EU now...
French guy, "Vat! How are ve goin tu pay for zee Healthcare now? Ve cannot compete against tis... tis Microzoft."
British guy pokes his German friend in the ribs, "Like they could ever compete against a bloody thing anyways."
German smiles and lifts up his pint of beer, "Da Frenchies alvays needin da Amerikan bailout."
Italian guy, "Vat I hada a broZeaa alveada ta go. Zee vouldda hadta pay even ahh little more, eh! Sigh... Vat aboutta that ahh Foxa Noxai. Ve mightta be a able ta make a little monniee on that eh?"
Swedsih Girl pouts, "Ist nobadie goin va tu talk absouzt ma list movie?"
Dutch guy whistles, "Dat movie dat got banned by the Aussies?"
Swedish Girl, "Ahhh yaa."
Some people look away, there's some coughing, the French guy nods and smiles then says, "Zattt vas ah very good movieee. I thought tha orgzism vas very real."
Greek guy speaks up, "So Uhmm anyone hear about deez Freedom Fries? Maybe we can get dinero for that."

next it will be microsoft paint, windows explorer, notepad till eventually microsoft will have to include linux as an alternative!

A friggin car from ferrari comes with ferrari parts - you dont get a choice in the matter and if you wish you can fit third party-parts but will void any warranty (to stop you from doing it) - why not sue everyone for that kind of thing?

A microsoft OS should come by DEFAULT with a MICROSOFT part, in which microsoft has every right to include its own pre bundled software aslong as it doesnt block any third-party replacement apps which it DOES NOT.

The EU should suck a fat one and get over its self, this is total BS - this is the end of the free world as we know it.

p4gs

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
Is Microsoft authorized to package another company's software with their operating system? I'm sure that violates EULAs in some way, shape, or form. I'm pretty sure Microsoft would face some more legal action if they bundled Firefox, Opera, Safari, and Chrome with their OS without making any legal consultations before doing so.

The EU is acting like a whiny pile of crap.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]maaksel[/nom]...Lets compare some similar situations.In your Ford Vehicle, you now must be able to provide customers with at least 3 different types of engines, all from different manufacturers. I love microsofts response "ok fine, here is a car without an engine at all, you put in what engine you want".--[/citation]

An engine is NOT a good comparison, as engines are very expensive items.

So lets say the EU mandates that auto manufacturers must include multiple exchangable dash boards. The dash boards are built and paid for by the dash board manufacturer, only the auto companies need to provide the panels with the car. However, the manufacturer only wanted to include THEIR dashboard, so that all dash-board aftermarket add-ons would have to also be in their proprietary interface. (That way they will get some licensing income from third party manufacturers.)

So does the auto company include these NO COST items with their car? No. Instead, they state they will be selling cars WITHOUT dashboards. It will be up to the dealers to buy and install any dashboards, and if you buy direct... well, you can't exactly use a car without a dashboard to go drive to pick up a dashboard. Sure, you could ask a friend to drive you, but it is just that extra hassle that a consumer shouldn't be put through.

Okay, if you want to risk it, you can drive a dashboardless car (shifting by sound and using other traffic to guess speed), so the analogy isn't perfect. If you really know computers, you probably know of ways to get browsers without using a browser.

Of course, the most outlandish thing about the analogy is the nature of the objects - you are comparing something that would cost the manufacturer THOUSANDS of dollars to include to something that cost the manufacturer NOTHING to include!

Status
Not open for further replies.