Question EU Server Ping ?

ruanwagenaar27

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2017
Hi i need some help please im from South Africa and think i have latency problems while playing Destiny 2, is there maybe an IP adress in the EU that i can ping to see if i have packetloss? I asked Epic if they could maybe give me an IP to ping but I think for their safety they won't give out IP addresses. Is there maybe a local server or something? How else can i test my packet sent etc. to a server in the EU?

Ralston18

Titan
What are you using, if anything, to look for latency problems?

I generally use Google as a target site.

8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for testing purposes.

Use the following commands via the Command Prompt:

ping
pathping
tracert

Any problems beyond the first couple of hops are likely out of your control and that of your ISP.

There may be other ideas and suggestions.

The epic "tech" must only play games and no better than a AI bot that follow his script.

It is trivial to see all the IP addresses your machine it talking to. Run the resmon and click the network tab. It will show you all the open session. How much data is being send. It even will show the packet loss and latency for some types of traffic.

It would be nice if it was as simple as this screen makes it look but the most useful part of the screen only monitors TCP sessions. Most games are using UDP for the actual game data, it has less network overhead. You can still see the IP addresses being network activity tab where it show the byte usage. Generally you will see the number changing constantly for the game server.
In most games there will be connections to mulitple servers some are tcp connections. These can actually be in different data centers. This is why testing network issues in a game can be a challenge.

In general if there is a issue you will see loss and latency issues in tcp session of the resmon screen for all traffic not just the game.

Your largest issue is you can really only get something fixed if it is inside your house or in the connection to your ISP. Simple ping to 8.8.8.8 (which is duplicated in most large cities) will test this.

You can do very little if for example there is a damaged undersea fiber that your connection is using.

Now the tech to a point is correct but the IP is not issue. Especially on shooter type game the idiot "cometitive gamer" as they call themselves will do thigns like do denial of attacks against the servers and routers in the path. It can be as simple as sending lots of ping packets to overload say a router. Unfortantly the game company disable response to ping and tracert because of this on their equipment many times. So even if you get the IP you can't use normal testing tool.

ruanwagenaar27

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2017
The epic "tech" must only play games and no better than a AI bot that follow his script.

It is trivial to see all the IP addresses your machine it talking to. Run the resmon and click the network tab. It will show you all the open session. How much data is being send. It even will show the packet loss and latency for some types of traffic.

It would be nice if it was as simple as this screen makes it look but the most useful part of the screen only monitors TCP sessions. Most games are using UDP for the actual game data, it has less network overhead. You can still see the IP addresses being network activity tab where it show the byte usage. Generally you will see the number changing constantly for the game server.
In most games there will be connections to mulitple servers some are tcp connections. These can actually be in different data centers. This is why testing network issues in a game can be a challenge.

In general if there is a issue you will see loss and latency issues in tcp session of the resmon screen for all traffic not just the game.

Your largest issue is you can really only get something fixed if it is inside your house or in the connection to your ISP. Simple ping to 8.8.8.8 (which is duplicated in most large cities) will test this.

You can do very little if for example there is a damaged undersea fiber that your connection is using.

Now the tech to a point is correct but the IP is not issue. Especially on shooter type game the idiot "cometitive gamer" as they call themselves will do thigns like do denial of attacks against the servers and routers in the path. It can be as simple as sending lots of ping packets to overload say a router. Unfortantly the game company disable response to ping and tracert because of this on their equipment many times. So even if you get the IP you can't use normal testing tool.
Yes it is actually weird, when i do a ping test to 8.8.8.8 i will sometimes get 0 packetloss othertimes ill send 150 packets and get 1 - 2% packetloss, yesterday i pinged an ip from EU or so they say think the ip adress started with 45. and got 6% packetloss of 150 packets send. This Resmon your talking about is it an aplication or what?

ruanwagenaar27

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2017
I have an wireless setup, using ubiquiti dish and system i use the ping tool on the ubiquiti software, sometimes when i ping 8.8.8.8 i will get 1- 2% packetloss of 150 packets and the packet size is 54. Yesterday after searching google i got an ip that they say is EU server i pinged and got 6% packetloss of 150 packets sent
Yes it is actually weird, when i do a ping test to 8.8.8.8 i will sometimes get 0 packetloss othertimes ill send 150 packets and get 1 - 2% packetloss, yesterday i pinged an ip from EU or so they say think the ip adress started with 45. and got 6% packetloss of 150 packets send. This Resmon your talking about is it an aplication or what?

What are you using, if anything, to look for latency problems?

I generally use Google as a target site.

8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for testing purposes.

Use the following commands via the Command Prompt:

ping
pathping
tracert

Any problems beyond the first couple of hops are likely out of your control and that of your ISP.

There may be other ideas and suggestions.

My question still is Destiny or Bungie so sensitive that for a 1% or 2% packetloss they will kick you to your desktop screen? The error code im getting from bungie is ANTEATER OR WEASEL sometimes i can play for hours with no probs othertimes ill be kicked to desktop or title screen every 15 to 40 minutes.

you can type resmon into the "run" box you see when you press the windows key. The application is called resource monitor and you can find it someplace in the windows tools menu if you want to find it that way.

When you have any kind of wireless in the path you run the risk of interference that causes packet loss and latency spikes. Games unlike almost all other traffic does not tolerate packet loss or latency issues. Everything else can use buffers to hide these issues.

It will likely prove what you already know but it is the standard tests.

Start with tracert 8.8.8.8

This will show nothing likely ,the goal is to get the ip of the router in the path.

Now open multiple cmd windows and run ping to hop 1, hop 2 and 8.8.8.8. You will likely see no loss to hop 1 which is your router. And loss to hop 2 and 8.8.8.8. Hop 2 for most people represents the connection between your house and the isp for most people. If you see nothing here you can try hop 3. Hopefully the ISP has not disabled the ability of the router to respond to ping....again because of denial of service.

For a person that has fiber or cable to their house they can call the ISP and they wil fix it. When you have wireless of any kind including cellular mobile broadband it is extremely common to get loss and they can't really fix it.

ruanwagenaar27

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2017
you can type resmon into the "run" box you see when you press the windows key. The application is called resource monitor and you can find it someplace in the windows tools menu if you want to find it that way.

When you have any kind of wireless in the path you run the risk of interference that causes packet loss and latency spikes. Games unlike almost all other traffic does not tolerate packet loss or latency issues. Everything else can use buffers to hide these issues.

It will likely prove what you already know but it is the standard tests.

Start with tracert 8.8.8.8

This will show nothing likely ,the goal is to get the ip of the router in the path.

Now open multiple cmd windows and run ping to hop 1, hop 2 and 8.8.8.8. You will likely see no loss to hop 1 which is your router. And loss to hop 2 and 8.8.8.8. Hop 2 for most people represents the connection between your house and the isp for most people. If you see nothing here you can try hop 3. Hopefully the ISP has not disabled the ability of the router to respond to ping....again because of denial of service.

For a person that has fiber or cable to their house they can call the ISP and they wil fix it. When you have wireless of any kind including cellular mobile broadband it is extremely common to get loss and they can't really fix it.
Ok thanks for the info, yes i have noticed i cant get an open nat because im hiding behind the main ip of my service provider i will try what you mentioned and see if i get packetloss to the 3rd hop, my connection runs through 3 main acess points it is my dish at home then the AP at the local area from that area to another local area and from there to the main AP so it is quite a few hops before it reaches me