EU Slaps Microsoft with Charges Over Browser Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckydb

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
This is completely stupid.
You want an other browser, you are free to download a new one, noone is stopping you.

The EU should mabey attack something more relevant, like how Apple maniacly controls everything on it's closed garden product, or Amazone taking an open source OS and closing it down for it's kindle.

Come on, the browser issue is WAY outdated.

romansky

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
@chuckydb you statement is not completely true, the way windows 8 is integrated with the browser is seriously limiting any option of using other browsers on the market (I know this since I got a "private" preview of windows 8 and I asked this exact question)

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
If I were MS, I'd tell the EU to go take a long walk off a short pier (but I'm use MUCH more colorful terms than I can post here...).

And PULL all MS from EU - and watch the people SCREAM!!! Just like any other FREAKIN' product out there, you buy it - you get what you get!! If you don't like what's in it - don't buy it!!!

Why the F should a company have to put a COMPETING product PRE-LOADED in it's own product??!??!?!??!??!?!?!??!??!?!?

romansky

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Downvote? hmm.. How many MS payroll people are visiting this forum?
You can not trust anything these days anymore *sigh*..

jonjonjon

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
this is so dumb. im all for government slamming companys when they deserve it. something the us gov cant do since they have all be bought. i agree you dont want the to use ie dont use it and download something else. ms is not forcing anyone to use ie and they are not preventing the installation/use of competing browsers. whats next ms wont be able to provide notepad or cmd prompt because its unfair? what about the new pdf app in windows 8 how does adobe or foxit feel about that? not providing a browser with an OS makes no sense and forcing a company to offer competitors products for free is what is not fair. i hope android and ios have a BCS with an ie option. what a joke.

zero messiah

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
I am curious. I have never used an Apple product. Do they (Apple) give you a choice when setting up one of their products, or Android for that matter, and if they don't, this argument seems slanted.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]romansky[/nom]@chuckydb you statement is not completely true, the way windows 8 is integrated with the browser is seriously limiting any option of using other browsers on the market (I know this since I got a "private" preview of windows 8 and I asked this exact question)[/citation]
Bullshit , i`m using Windows 8 RC and posting from Opera with Chrome installed also , no problems whatsoever, the only drawback you get from installing a secondary browser is that you won`t get IE in the full screen metro style , only the destkop mode works and this only if IE is not the default browser, why doesn`t EU asks Apple to make the same thing in their OS ?

Some times i just wanna go and punch in the face a judge or who ever comes up with this stupid ideeas.

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
So do you guys in the EU also get the choice of what tires get put on your cars when you buy a new car?

The funny thing is that IE isn't even very competitive with FF and Chrome. All of them are free, nobody is really making money directly from browsers. If a user is unaware of the major browsers out there, would presenting them with the choice between the browsers even do them any good? do they just choose the one that has the prettiest icon?

In a time with more competition between OS's and browsers than ever, EU is just kicking MS while they are down by pulling anti-trust BS. MS will likely squeeze every penny of any fines right back out of the EU consumers anyway (though the idea of MS just disabling all windows based EU gov computers is rather entertaining, it would never happen).

romansky

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]Bullshit , i`m using Windows 8 RC and posting from Opera with Chrome installed also , no problems whatsoever, the only drawback you get from installing a secondary browser is that you won`t get IE in the full screen metro style , only the destkop mode works and this only if IE is not the default browser, why doesn`t EU asks Apple to make the same thing in their OS ? Some times i just wanna go and punch in the face a judge or who ever comes up with this stupid ideeas.[/citation]

First, I am a Linux user.
Second, OSX (never mind I dont like Apple the company) is not running atop the Safari browser, this is not the case with W8 and IE (metro or what ever its called) mode.
As you know, the common windows users never change defaults.

[citation][nom]romansky[/nom]@chuckydb you statement is not completely true, the way windows 8 is integrated with the browser is seriously limiting any option of using other browsers on the market (I know this since I got a "private" preview of windows 8 and I asked this exact question)[/citation]

That's strange. I been using windows 8 since the Dev preview came out and i haven't had a single issue with running chrome and firefox on them....

Maybe it windows 8 RT your talking about which i have no knowledge of....

chuckydb

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
@romansky
I don't know about win 8, I was able to install chrome and firefox no problem.
But the problem predate win 8. If MS wants to lock dow the choice of browser like Apple does, then I'm all in to give a b!!!chslap to MS, but as of right now, then aren't the ultime evil overlord of the industry, Apple holds that honor and I think it's where their focus should be.

c4v3man

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Microsoft's use of IE10 in Windows 8 RT/Metro is at WORST equal to Apple's requirement for use of it's Safari webkit implementation. I believe RT/Metro will allow properly coded browsers to run independently. Wake me up when Apple gets sued for the same thing...

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
[citation][nom]romansky[/nom]First, I am a Linux user.Second, OSX (never mind I dont like Apple the company) is not running atop the Safari browser, this is not the case with W8 and IE (metro or what ever its called) mode.As you know, the common windows users never change defaults.[/citation]

Metro has nothing to do with IE. IE has a metro app, which is installed by default; but it doesn't prevent anyone from installing a different metro browser instead, the only issue is that nobody else has written a metro browser (probably because using a browser in metro is about as useful as using a browser that is forced to be in fullscreen mode all the time).

romansky

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
@chuckydb - I have friends using OSX with Chrome just fine, there is no lockdown.. if you mean the safari on IOS then I agree, EU should slap Apple for that for sure.

@c4v3man - I cant see how you can justify one wrong doing with another.. but suite your self! MS had a long track with these issues, you would think they should know what not to do..

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]zero messiah[/nom]I am curious. I have never used an Apple product. Do they (Apple) give you a choice when setting up one of their products, or Android for that matter, and if they don't, this argument seems slanted.[/citation]
I feel pretty much the same way. Nobody other than Microsoft is required to offer someone else's products out-of-the-box, which is pretty ridiculous considering that Windows has the broadest selection of alternative browsers to choose from and downloading/installing any of them is relatively trivial with no walled-garden to get in your way unlike Android/IOS/etc.

The EU should be more worried about Apple's apps censorship/dictatorship on IOS with Apple reserving the right to cull apps for arbitrary and sometimes anti-competitive reasons.

chuckydb

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
[citation][nom]romansky[/nom]@chuckydb - I have friends using OSX with Chrome just fine, there is no lockdown.. if you mean the safari on IOS then I agree, EU should slap Apple for that for sure...[/citation]
I was referring to IOS.

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
And yet Chrome and Firefox dominate the market shares of Window 7 for browser. The EU can go f themselves. They don't care about the issue...actually there isn't even an issue here so they're just trying to take money from foreign companies to pay for their debts.

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Is the EU going to make them ship a version of Windows 8 without Defender just because competitors exist? If so, let's have a hackfest, y'all!

f-14

Distinguished

YOUR COMPARISION OF A BETA TEST PRODUCT IS HERBY DISMISSED!
and since you did not pay to use a beta your arguement is also double moot. case closed stay in school, quit doing drugs. mkay.

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]davewolfgang[/nom]If I were MS, I'd tell the EU to go take a long walk off a short pier (but I'm use MUCH more colorful terms than I can post here...).And PULL all MS from EU - and watch the people SCREAM!!! Just like any other FREAKIN' product out there, you buy it - you get what you get!! If you don't like what's in it - don't buy it!!!Why the F should a company have to put a COMPETING product PRE-LOADED in it's own product??!??!?!??!??!?!?!??!??!?!?[/citation]

i am almost there with you, might be time to not only pull the browser but also all internet functionality until they beg to have it back.

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]djscribbles[/nom]So do you guys in the EU also get the choice of what tires get put on your cars when you buy a new car?The funny thing is that IE isn't even very competitive with FF and Chrome. All of them are free, nobody is really making money directly from browsers. If a user is unaware of the major browsers out there, would presenting them with the choice between the browsers even do them any good? do they just choose the one that has the prettiest icon?In a time with more competition between OS's and browsers than ever, EU is just kicking MS while they are down by pulling anti-trust BS. MS will likely squeeze every penny of any fines right back out of the EU consumers anyway (though the idea of MS just disabling all windows based EU gov computers is rather entertaining, it would never happen).[/citation]

what rock are you still hiding under you don't know about tracking cookies for IE and Chrome?
why don't you go google that RIGHT NOW, get moving, stop reading GOOGLE IT

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Microsoft should get out of Europe completely. If you can't make a profit in an region after establishing yourself, then you should not do business in that region

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]chuckydb[/nom]Amazone taking an open source OS and closing it down for it's kindle.[/citation]
All that is required of Amazon is for them to publish the source code of their modification, which they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.