Eurocom Crams Core i7 Into a Notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greatwalrus

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Sure, I'd be up for it if it's less than $1200. I currently only use my laptop for a desktop, but I really want to get a desktop next because I'm tired of having a laptop AS a desktop..

G

Shouldn't the title be more along the lines of Clevo crams Core i7 into notebook, since Eurocom only rebrands them and does final customization?

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
@Turtle
Yeah, this has little to do with Eurocom, since they just re-brand. This is a Clevo D900F... and I'd expect it to be branded by many companies, including Sager.

Clevo's done this before, too. So, its nothing too unusual. Look at the Clevo d901c, aka Sager 9262. Clevo already has experience cramming desktop CPUs into large 17" laptops.

IIRC, the Q6600, was 105W, and the i7s are like 130W... so, I'm pretty amazed they got it working in a laptop this quickly. I can't remember the previous laptop model having a higher power CPU than the Q6600, and they now just use 95W Q9650 CPUs...

bbruzzes

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
Pretty amazing there is already a Core i7 notebook coming that soon, considering Core 2 Quad mobiles are just starting to appear now. However, being nearly 12 lbs. though makes it a bit too travel unfriendly to me so I think I'll pass.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
I'm glad they aren't buying into this thin bullsh!t, but good god, 60cm! that's 2.4in.

I could see this being somewhat useful if you go to quite a few LAN parties, rather than dragging a big box, you could slide this into bag and carry it. But I don't see it being that useful as an actual laptop.

dmccarron

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
ElectricTurtle & Fulle - so you know, you've got it backwards. Clevo is the main MANUFACTURER. Eurocom is indeed a Clevo reseller, but they do a significant portion of the R&D for Clevo's new models, so it's fair to give them the credit for it - even if they don't mass-produce it they likely still made a large part of the the prototype here.

Sager is completely a reseller, not a designer, AFAIK, mainly for the US market. They are the most ubiquitous re-brand of Clevo's shells that end up in about a dozen or so "no-name" reseller's hands, like PcTorque, etc, who market for Sager exclusively. Other boutique builders use the Clevo shells extensively too, but don't have a Sager or Clevo logo. They tend to do more extensive customizations, however to add their flavor to it, so that's their prerogative (falcon NW/hypersonic/voodoo/alienware/etc come to mind).

StupidRabbit

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]I'm glad they aren't buying into this thin bullsh!t, but good god, 60cm! that's 2.4in.I could see this being somewhat useful if you go to quite a few LAN parties, rather than dragging a big box, you could slide this into bag and carry it. But I don't see it being that useful as an actual laptop.[/citation]

:D i dont believe it. 60mm/2.4 inches.. it looks like they took an x58 motherboard, put it in a box and slapped a screen on in. i would prefer a lanbox over this cause with those dimensions its not going to look like a cutting edge notebook but more like a 10 year old levono A31 i had.. that thing was thick!

ahmshaegar

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
If the laptop were 5, 6, 7 pounds, I might agree with the title of the article. However, the laptop's 12 pounds. That i7 was crammed into the notebook about as much as how a toddler is crammed into an SUV.

StupidRabbit

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
and what about heat? i7 processor? 8gb of ddr3? 2 HDD in raid? fat arse gpu? im interested to see how it looks.. along with its power adapter.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]StupidRabbit[/nom]and what about heat? i7 processor? 8gb of ddr3? 2 HDD in raid? fat arse gpu? im interested to see how it looks.. along with its power adapter.[/citation]

Apparently it's a space saver, during those intense gaming sessions, it doubles as a skillet.

In all seriousness. From the specs, it seems like it would be something you wouldn't want sitting on your lap, so you may as well add a few more inches on to act as an air buffer for a frame.

Aviking

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
It's a good idea IMO. I use a laptop because I work at two different job facilities, but I really don't mind carrying a couple of pounds if it means I get the computer I want. Sides, it's good exersise !

dmccarron

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]gwolfman[/nom]GDDR5 with an nVidia graphics solution? I thought nVidia's cards were still all GDDR3 at best. Anyone?[/citation]

I've noticed that Eurocom writes out the specs of their future products based on what they WOULD support, not what is currently available (e.g. supporting 8GB of some fast ram long before 4-GB SODIMMS were available in ANY speed).

This overstatement here is marketing only. No mobile graphics part exists with ddr5 yet (Nvidia or otherwise, as far as I know) - but if it did, and, say, when it does, it will supposedly work fine. **Note this was not ALWAYS true - in the days when the MxM slot was introduced (around 2005) as the FIRST upgradeable notebook graphics slot, many MxM-enabled Clevo machines could NOT handle the power requirements of the next-level graphics solution (Geforce Go 7800-8800 comes to mind) without a costly aftermarket motherboard upgrade. So they had to eat their words. Hopefully with the current PCIexpress standard, things are much improved, so that those days are behind us, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

dmccarron

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Aviking[/nom]It's a good idea IMO. I use a laptop because I work at two different job facilities, but I really don't mind carrying a couple of pounds if it means I get the computer I want. Sides, it's good exersise ![/citation]

AMEN! I've always loved these Clevo machines for this - they have been the only one who caters consistently to the "throw portability out the window for power" crowd for all these years. The cost is usually a bit prohibitive, though - you could almost get two similarly powered (though headless, I admit) desktops to put here and at work for the price of a maxed-out Clevo rig. But I still do love these "monster trucks" of notebooks they make.

boostercorp

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
very nice if the price is right i'll buy one
i'm used to carrying around 2 notebooks at once so if i have one that can run everything i need that would be a little more practical.

and before someone reacts to this

i program plc's for a living and 1 notebook is for programming (but it can't run anything else while the prog runs or it crashes (don't ask me why)
and the other one is with all the documentation and process monitoring
so i can see what im modifieing in the programmation while i'm at it

plasticinsect

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
Ooooh. I might buy one of these, if the price isn't totally insane.
Yes, it's big as a whale, weighs a ton, and probably generates a lot of heat. This is not a machine you would ever want to use on an airplane or a bus. These monster-truck machines are not meant for everyone, or even for all that many people. They are for people who need huge amounts of raw power, need to be able to use it in more than one place, and who don't care about mobility. Gaming, and heavy number crunching. Think of it as a high-powered desktop machine that will fit in a backpack. (a large backpack, mind you)
Currently, I have a quad-core Clevo D901c, and I'm really very happy with it. It is admittedly huge, heavy, and the battery lasts around an hour, but who cares? I only ever use it while sitting at a desk. I do stuff that eats processor power like popcorn, and this machine handles heavy number-crunching beautifully. I also really need to be have access to the same machine whether I'm at home or at the office. (and, *cough*, I understand that you can play games on it, too - I'm sure someone told me that.)

Status
Not open for further replies.