Question Evaluate my New Gaming PC Build

Stansfield

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($484.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake - Water 3.0 360 ARGB Sync Edition 56.45 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($164.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Thermal Compound: Noctua - NT-H2 3.5 g Thermal Paste ($12.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS ULTRA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($238.56 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($219.99 @ Corsair)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($339.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB AORUS XTREME WATERFORCE Video Card ($1349.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Luxe ATX Full Tower Case ($155.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - PRIME Ultra Titanium 1000 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($267.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro Full 32/64-bit ($189.00 @ B&H)
Monitor: Asus - PG279Q ROG Swift 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor ($649.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Corsair - Vengeance K95 Wired Gaming Keyboard
Keyboard: Corsair - RGB MK.2 Low Profile RAPIDFIRE Wired Gaming Keyboard ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech - G502 HERO Wired Optical Mouse ($56.43 @ Amazon)
Speakers: Logitech - Z623 200 W 2.1 Channel Speakers ($90.99 @ Amazon)
Custom: Logitech G440 Hard Gaming Mousepad ($29.99)
Custom: Microsoft X Box (360? One?) Controller for Windows w/ Cable, Kit, & Adapter ($100.00)
Custom: Headset (?) ($300.00)
Total: $4781.77
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-17 15:56 EDT-0400

I'm putting together a list of parts for a gaming PC I hope to have built by the 9th or 10th of June, with purchasing occurring during the two weeks prior to that. I've settled on some parts but others I've put in there as place holders with a greater and lesser feeling of what works / I like, and what I'd like to replace.

1. Definitely unsure about the look and even the size / space of the Phanteks – Enthoo Luxe ATX Full Tower Case, but I'm not looking to go (completely) overboard there either. Very curious about suggestions here.
2. I'm unsure but I suspect it would be a good idea to drop the PSU down to 850w vs. the 1000w currently listed, though I'm pretty sure I'll be staying with SeaSonic for the manufacturer and Titanium+ as I'd like to ensure the system endures for 4+ years where doable (understanding it won't be "optimal" past 2 years, of course).
3. On that note, is there a strong recommendation to go with a UPS vs. a good Surge Protector? I've had no issues with my current much older build which has been with me for 6+ years and never had an issue where I live.
4. Always looking for Monitor suggestions, with the understanding this will be my primary / only monitor for a while (a year if not more most likely).
5. I have listed both the Corsair K95 as well as the Corsair - RGB MK.2 Low Profile RAPIDFIRE Wired Gaming Keyboard, but I have a K95 already (perhaps nearly 2 years old now?) and the only game I really use the macros on is The Forest which can benefit from them for sure. Most likely will go with the Mk.2 Low Profile Rapidfire option, unless others have used that and felt it was a bad choice?
6. If anyone can suggest a good headset with included mic, I'd appreciate it. Currently using a Sennheiser PC 363D which has been wonderful, but wondering about switching it out. BUT I am not even 100% certain of that. I may very well just dump the speakers to allow for adding a Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB

The Games I plan to play on this computer:
♦ Cyberpunk 2077 (whenever that get's released)
♦ The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Game of the Year Edition
♦ Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
♦ The Forest
♦ Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
♦ Mass Effect 1, 2, & 3 with mods for 1
♦ Ori and the Blind Forest (definitive edition)
♦ Wasteland 2: Director's Cut (very maybe)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Stick with the 1000w psu. The 9900k is a beast and and to get any OC requires multiple EPS and a mobo to handle it.

Its an ATX mobo. Any mid-sized ATX tower will work, as long as it has ability to handle a 360mm rad. You don't need a full tower for that, and with lack of sli, optical and multiple hdd's etc, there's nothing but empty space inside.

Be careful with UPS. There's 2 distinct kinds, and only 1 really works with the active PFC used in New DC-DC psus. UPS use square wave/modified square wave/hybrid square wave or pure sinewave. If you actually look at a square wave, it has a high line, dead drop then low line. The issue is with the dead drop, it'll register 0v for a fraction of a second, which according to active PFC is a power interruption, and shuts off the psu. So if using a square wave UPS, and power goes out, the UPS itself won't power the psu. Basically rendering the UPS as nothing more than a powered surge protector, but not a battery backup.
You'll need a Pure Sinewave UPS. It has no sudden voltage drop of 0v as its a continuous wave.

JJoner

Reputable
Apr 3, 2015
I'd try and get 16 GB of better timings ram instead of 32 GB of standard speed ram. For gaming 32 gb isnt needed and the only way a system like this could get much better is faster RAM.

Stansfield

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2010
Stick with the 1000w psu. The 9900k is a beast and and to get any OC requires multiple EPS and a mobo to handle it.

Its an ATX mobo. Any mid-sized ATX tower will work, as long as it has ability to handle a 360mm rad. You don't need a full tower for that, and with lack of sli, optical and multiple hdd's etc, there's nothing but empty space inside.

Be careful with UPS. There's 2 distinct kinds, and only 1 really works with the active PFC used in New DC-DC psus. UPS use square wave/modified square wave/hybrid square wave or pure sinewave. If you actually look at a square wave, it has a high line, dead drop then low line. The issue is with the dead drop, it'll register 0v for a fraction of a second, which according to active PFC is a power interruption, and shuts off the psu. So if using a square wave UPS, and power goes out, the UPS itself won't power the psu. Basically rendering the UPS as nothing more than a powered surge protector, but not a battery backup.
You'll need a Pure Sinewave UPS. It has no sudden voltage drop of 0v as its a continuous wave.
I'd try and get 16 GB of better timings ram instead of 32 GB of standard speed ram. For gaming 32 gb isnt needed and the only way a system like this could get much better is faster RAM.

Thanks @Karadjgne, looking over everything and sincerely appreciate the specific recommendation on the UPS. :) @JJoner okay good deal. Do you recommend a higher timing'd (?) RAM or is 16 GB of what I have solid?

A very good top end build.
I have some thoughts re: your questions:
1. Looks count on cases. Go with what you love. The listed case has very good airflow(plan on using two front 140mm intakes.

2. Your graphics card needs two 8 pin connectors, drawing a max of 300w. Add in the 75w for the slot and adding 200w for the 9900K
leaves you with plenty to spare with a 850w psu that should be plenty.
I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say 20%.
It will allow for a stronger future graphics card upgrade.
It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.
I might pics one of the Seasonic focus units at half the price and a 10 year warranty.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151190

3. If you have stable power, I would not worry too much about a UPS. Seasonic power supplies will insulate you from damage.
OTOH, you can ride through the occasional glitch with a good UPS like an APC 1500w unit.

4. Consider carefully, your monitor choice.
It will be with you for a long time.
I think a larger/wider monitor will be more immersive for gaming.
The model you picked comes in a 34" version
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16824236717
And... I might look even larger and in 4k resolution.

5/6 I have no thoughts.

On your build:

1. I am not keen on liquid cooling when a good air cooler like a Noctua NH-D15s will cool about as well in your case.
It will cost half as much, be quieter, more reliable, have no maintenance, be easier to install and... it will not leak.

2. The main value of the Samsung PRO units over the evo is increased longevity. Not worth it.
Today, in a desktop environment a 1tb ssd will last well past the point where it becomes obsolete.
Use the savings for the new 970 EVO 2tb unit.

3. You will likely not ever use 32gb of ram, but considering the current prices, a 2 x 16gb kit is ok.
You might look for 3600 speed if it does not cost too much more.

Instead of choosing between more RAM and faster RAM, compromise...do both! (3200 MHz/32 GB kit, 16 GB x 2)

1440P at 165 Hz? Many new games simply will allow that even with a 9900K/2080Ti pairing, so, I'd make sure your monitor is known to be flicker/stutter free at lesser frame rate inputs like a 'mere' 80-120 fps, etc...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Cooler kinda depends on the OC, locked cores etc. The 9900k can exceed 250w and not blink. That's about the limits of the big air. If at stock values, no worries, but big air simply doesn't have the capacity of big liquid like a 280mm/360mm. And No, at that wattage output, big air fans are at max speeds, and louder than big liquid, just to maintain temps.

The 9900k is a cpu well capable of taking advantage of full custom loops.

Agreed with the ssd, but might look into the EVO Plus, it's a step up from the EVO, but not quite a Pro.

Power Supply: SeaSonic - PRIME Ultra Platinum 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($179.90 @ Amazon)

Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P600S ATX Mid Tower Case ($149.79 @ Newegg)

UPS: CyberPower - PR1500LCDTAA UPS ($449.99 @ Monoprice)

Last edited:
I looked for benchmarks of a 9900K and NH-D15 or aio coolers.
Here is one:
It shows H100 and nh-D15 to be comparable in managing temperatures.
85c. under load.

A $450 custom 360 loop was slightly better at 77c.

All three gave acceptable max temperatures.

That test did not include noise measurements.

Here is a comparison of the NH-D15 with 5 aio coolers that included noise measurements.
http://www.relaxedtech.com/reviews/noctua/nh-d15-versus-closed-loop-liquid-coolers/2

For noise under load, the NH-D15 was much better than any of them.

Tests are done outside of a case for convenience.
But we will all be using a case which is
an under appreciated factor in cooling.
If you have an air cooler, you need to supply it with sufficient cool intake air to let it do it's job.
In the case of a NH-D15, there are two radiators in the 140mm range. Somewhat comparable to a 280mm aio radiator.
It makes sense to feed them with air from two 140mm fresh air intakes.

Ditto for an aio cooler.
For maximum cpu cooling the aio radiator must be oriented to draw in fresh air from the outside.
Unfortunately, the hot air is introduced into the case heating up the motherboard and feeding your graphics card.
Catch 22.
It is probably better to orient to expel hot air at the expense of not so efficient cpu cooling.