Even at -180 Degrees, Ryzen 3000 May Not Hit Boost Clock Speeds

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Usually, there is a setting in the BIOS to assign a higher initial (Boot) core voltage, to overcome initialization and POST issues. Might not be the problem, or helpful, but worth looking at as well. Also, the board might be a factor as well as the BIOS version.

They type, speed and voltage of your DIMMs could play a role as well.

It would be nice to see if somebody (Hint hint) has a reasonable and logical explanation as to why the reviewer was able to configure their system in this way but multiple users have not had success in a similar configuration.

Seriously... you are really beating a dead horse? Now test it with the Aorus extreme or the Aorus Master... The x570 Taichi is reporting the wrong strongest core as the core to be boosted. If you had made this test with multiple boards, you would have noticed it... By the way, it is a BIOS issue... I told you so.

View: https://youtu.be/o2SzF3IiMaE?t=393

Last edited:
Is it me or bascially the writer is complaining about the awesome chip gotten from a retail store ?

4.4GHz core on an all core overclock (according to the article) with this settings and results:

"
4400 locked1.25v227467.8c
"

Tell you what, I wil send you my Ryzen, if you send me yours; Deal ?

With my 3700x I was able to get a stable 4300mhz all core OC @ 1.32v. This lead to average gaming temps of 55°c. The new ABBA BIOS will boost while gaming between 4275 and 4400mhz with an average of 4325mhz at an average voltage of 1.45v around 62°c.

**These numbers are off the top of my head. I'll double check my notes later tonight.

I have heard of some people with 3800x cpus getting like 4400-4450mhz on all cores.

4450mhz is actually very impressive given the last generation may get 4.2ghz all core if lucky.

And the new gen has all kinds of other benefitd to ipc and latency.

Reactions: RodroX

curley60

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2012
Is AMD held to a lower standard? If an Intel CPU didn't hit it's rated boost speed or Nvidia advertising a 4gb video memory GTX 970, there would be class-action suits. Is it ok to buy something that doesn't work as advertised? Even eBay doesn't let you get away with that? Just playing Devil's Advocate because I don't plan on returning my 3700x anytime soon.

Last edited:
Is AMD held to a lower standard? If an Intel CPU didn't hit it's rated boost speed or Nvidia advertising a 4gb video memory GTX 970, there would be class-action suits. Is it ok to buy something that doesn't work as advertised? Even eBay doesn't let you get away with that? Just playing Devil's Advocate because I don't play on returning my 3700x anytime soon.
Nvidia was indeed sued over the 4gb 970 deal. Imtel was sued for misrepresenting cpu performance back in the 2000s.
AMD was sued recently for misrepresenting the amount of cores their fx cpus had.

They are all held to the same standard.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
If an Intel CPU didn't hit it's rated boost speed [...] there would be class-action suits
My Intel 6700K only runs at 4.0 rather than 4.2 GHz when I run Cinebench single threaded. Should I be suing? :p

And it seems that people aren't fussed about Intel not necessarily hitting their max rated boost clocks during real world use, e.g.:
However, the busy scheduling environment in a modern desktop operating system, which finds threads migrating frequently between cores, prevented 5 GHz operation in even mainstream tests like our gaming benchmarks. In other words, don't expect to see 5 GHz very often.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-8086k-cpu-8086-anniversary,5658.html

Maybe AMD is being held to higher standards?

curley60

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2012
My Intel 6700K only runs at 4.0 rather than 4.2 GHz when I run Cinebench single threaded. Should I be suing? :p

And it seems that people aren't fussed about Intel not necessarily hitting their max rated boost clocks during real world use, e.g.:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-8086k-cpu-8086-anniversary,5658.html

I think the Cinebench problem is with their software. The 8700K runs 5GHZ on all cores all the time only when doing a hard overclock in the bios, not using the Windows Software Overclock Utility of the respective motherboard you are using. The 3700X runs at 4.2 on all cores and like I said I don't play on getting rid of it anytime soon because paired with the Radeon VII and a 144hz Free Sync monitor, it performs on par with anything else out there.

After seeing a few responses I believe they are all held to the same standards.

nogaard777

Honorable
Dec 19, 2017

How can it be higher standards when it's falling far short of claimed speeds at stock? It's clearly stated that he's used very aggressive cooling/overclocking and STILL not hitting ADVERTISED speeds. Your i7 can hit 4.4 on a freaking $20 air cooler. My 4790K easily hits 4.4 on a cheap air cooler with 4.0 claimed. No one is saying Ryzen 3 is trash. We're saying if it can't hit 4.4 with heavy cooling and overclocking let alone stock don't freaking call it a 4.4 ghz part. The AMD fanboyism is going to wear off and I guarantee there will be lawsuits which is a shame because it's a great CPU, they just need to stop listening to the marketing dept.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
How can it be higher standards when it's falling far short of claimed speeds at stock? It's clearly stated that he's used very aggressive cooling/overclocking and STILL not hitting ADVERTISED speeds. Your i7 can hit 4.4 on a freaking $20 air cooler. My 4790K easily hits 4.4 on a cheap air cooler with 4.0 claimed. No one is saying Ryzen 3 is trash. We're saying if it can't hit 4.4 with heavy cooling and overclocking let alone stock don't freaking call it a 4.4 ghz part. The AMD fanboyism is going to wear off and I guarantee there will be lawsuits which is a shame because it's a great CPU, they just need to stop listening to the marketing dept.
You need to read the article again. It starts by examining boost behaviour at stock settings, no overclock, and finding it falls short of 4.4 GHz. When they overclock they are indeed capable of hitting 4.4 GHz, it's literally in the first paragraph:
However, as we'll see below, you can hit boost clocks by manual overclocking.

At stock settings, which is what this discussion is about, a 6700K isn't going to be hitting 4.4 GHz. Mine doesn't even hit 4.2 (rated max turbo). Your 4790K is rated for 4.4 GHz max turbo, so it seems that your does hit its max rated speeds at stock settings, congrats.

Last edited: