Even With A Wheel Attached, Oculus Home Requires An Xbox Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like just a software oversight. Oculus Home launched with a lot of missing functionality, they're gradually making improvements. Surely a fix for wheels will come along eventually as well, especially now that they've had another high-profile racing game launch its VR mode.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
I wasn't able to get my wheel to consistently work with Project Cars, and I'm not a Rift user at this time. It works great with my XBox One.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

They've had since the end of March to address this and haven't. Project Cars was subject to this day one (i'm surprised no one picked up on this before me)
Bringing public eyes to the subject will hopefully motivate them to fix the problem.

That seems to have worked for Nvidia's Vive GTX 1080 issues. A fix is coming a week after news broke, but 6 weeks after the cards hit the market.

Reputable
Jul 12, 2016
What happens if you don't turn on your controller in the first place and just open the game with the Oculus remote?

mavikt

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
So Faceboook bought Oculues and now Microsoft owns them? What a dissapointment and a failed kickstarter! I hope HTC is an indepedant 'peripheral' maker that doesn't have software engineers put artificial caps on the user experience!

Reputable
Jul 12, 2016

What? Microsoft doesn't own Facebook. What "caps" are you talking about?

Dariel

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016
My Logitech Momo Steering wheel doesn't have that issue in Project Cars at all. My Xbox controller actually did go to sleep during my game play and I never noticed till after I was done playing. I was able to navigate and all with my steering wheel...

Yeah, but the reason you posted this article now is because you were testing out Dirt Rally and ran into the problem. The more games, the more people playing, the sooner problems will be noticed. And then that'll hopefully prompt them to fix it quickly.

I mean, someone else probably already reported this issue, but it might have gotten drowned out by all the other stuff in Oculus Home that needs work.

edzieba

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2016
That's very odd. Even with the XB1 controller turned off (or even unplugged) you can still launch Oculus Home, and several games & applications, using only the Oculus Remote. If Dirt Rally is demanding the presence of an XB1 controller, then that sounds like a bug on Dirt Rally's end.

They found the same issue in Project Cars though, so it is most likely a problem on Oculus' side. And it's not directly about requiring an Xbox controller, but accepting a wheel peripheral in itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.