Question Event log is showing wrong time on events.

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Hi my new pc.

12900K with NZXT KRAKEN X73 ( 40-50C in Far Cry 6 )

2x16GB DDR4 KINGSTON DDR4 3600MHZ in GEAR 1

RTX 3090 Ti Gigabyte Gaming

Aorus Z690 Elite DDR4 bios F5

SSD 1 TB NVM PCIE

I went from Aorus Z490 and 10850K to 12900K and Aorus Z690 Elite DDR4. Windows 10 is installed on SSD from 10850K build.

1.So event log is reporting wrong hour when i boot to system on new pc. I boot near 5 p.m. Event logs showing 9 p.m. Why?
2.Events are not in order in event logs. Events from 5 p.m. are before events from 9 p.m.Why ?

ps:
time on windows is ok

You did a fresh Windows install with new motherboard, right ?

All kinds of strange errors can occur (and some can take many days or weeks to become apparent) If you try to use the old Windows installation with a different mobo.

Some get lucky and the old install works fine, but you might be one of the unlucky ones.

Events not being in order could be because it's listing events from effectively two different builds.

windows has programming functions that give you time and date.
But there are many:
some give the result in universal time
some give the result in local time
and I think some even account for daylight saving times.

I would guess different coders who write the code for the various log entries are just using different functions and do not label the time as being (local time, GMT, UCT,...)

same type of thing happens when developers put in error codes and forget to display the fact that they are in hex, or in decimal.

also windows can get the time from a internet time server. these servers my display a time different from your local time. you can change the which time server windows uses. Hackers sometimes mess with the standard ones. google windows time service for info
here is info on the windows time service
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...rvice/windows-time-service-tools-and-settings
(doc shows how to change the time server if you want to)

you can run cmd.exe as an admin and run this tool to see various info:
here is my machine info: as an example:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>w32tm /tz
Time zone: Current:TIME_ZONE_ID_DAYLIGHT Bias: 480min (UTC=LocalTime+Bias)
[Standard Name:"Pacific Standard Time" Bias:0min Date:(M:11 D:1 DoW:0)]
[Daylight Name:"Pacific Daylight Time" Bias:-60min Date:(M:3 D:2 DoW:0)]

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
@Phillip Corcoran no.

1. what is time in BIOS?
  2. did you sort the event viewer field by date/time? If so, its in the order of latest to first, or first to last.
it sorts field based on date first, then time. So if you opened event viewer and its sorting by the 1st field (level), it might have times out of order.

some fields in the results are also sorted alpha numerically, not by date. So it depends on your date format as to what shows where.

litwicki23

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
windows has programming functions that give you time and date.
But there are many:
some give the result in universal time
some give the result in local time
and I think some even account for daylight saving times.

I would guess different coders who write the code for the various log entries are just using different functions and do not label the time as being (local time, GMT, UCT,...)

same type of thing happens when developers put in error codes and forget to display the fact that they are in hex, or in decimal.

also windows can get the time from a internet time server. these servers my display a time different from your local time. you can change the which time server windows uses. Hackers sometimes mess with the standard ones. google windows time service for info
What you mean hackers? Hackers do something to me? or what?