ever since upgrading go build 1703 and higher my pc started to shut down during gaming.

Kinazo

Commendable
Jun 6, 2016
my pc:
16 GB RAM
CPU: amd fx 8320E
GPU: nvidia GTX 1060 6GB

i was on build 1608 (i think) and i was doing fine with it then i had a regrettable whim to update the windows, so i did to version 1803 and that's when it started to happen. my pc started to shut down, during gaming and it was random. at first the screen used to freeze and the sound stuttered for a few seconds/ a minute then it forcibly shut down usually taking from 30 minutes to 2 hours before shutting down but now it doesn't freeze or stutter anymore just sudden shut down. i asked around and someone told me to downgrade to version 1703 which i did, now i only last about 10-15 minutes before my pc shuts down. my GTX card has a temp of 65c while gaming and i suppose that is fine but my cpu goes about 71c. we're in summer so i am not sure if this is too high considering i am gaming. my fan is working just fine as well and aside from the shut down my cpu doesn't indicate any other cpu issues (altho when i was in 1803 it used to freeze even when i wasn't gaming just browsing fb and playing flash games online to pass time since i couldn't game at the time)
i want to take it to a tech guy but the nearest "legit" one is an hour away and i don't have a car (i live in a 3rd world country) so i want to exhaust all my possible options first.

Kinazo

Commendable
Jun 6, 2016

what i did was a clean install, i think? i downloaded a windows 10 build 1703 iso. i installed it cleanly from the pc itself not from a usb. basically got the iso on my pc and installed it from the pc itself.

USAFRet

Titan

No, that wasn't necessarily a clean install.

That would be booting from a WIn 10 USB, deleting ALL partitions, and starting over.

Kinazo

Commendable
Jun 6, 2016

i do not have an external backup place sadly so i won't be able to store what's in my partitions. are there any options i could try before attempting to nuke my pc?

USAFRet

Titan

Sorry, but that is a fail on several levels.

What would you do if your current and only drive died right now?

Kinazo

Commendable
Jun 6, 2016

redownload everything painfully slowly since my internet speed is quite slow. if i nuke my pc and the problem is still not fixed I would feel quite devestated to be honest. it's not that i don't want to heal my pc it's that i want to make sure whatever i do is worth the risk. but yes nuking it is much better than going to a far away tech support. still i'd like to see if i can do other solutions first.

USAFRet

Titan

Starting from a known stable OS install is the best way forward.
All this Upgrade/Downgrade/Fix....your problem could be anything and everything.

Currently, you have a shaky software install, and no backup.
What happens if you take it to the "IT guy", and he simply does a full reinstall (as we've suggested here).

Poof...all your stuff is gone anyway.

Kinazo

Commendable
Jun 6, 2016

i have been trying to do a few things lately to maybe increase my chance of fixing the issue, when i cleaned my pc with a blower i noticed that my gaming went from 10 minutes to an hour before it shut down. i am going to download a windows 10 from microsoft site and clean install it from my usb (going to make it bootable). i have backed when i need to back on a friend's external for now.
i do have two questions, how is my windows version shaky despite nothing out of the normal (aside from the shut down) happening.
my second question is more of a request/inquiry, is there anything i should take note of? a step-by-step guide for how to do clean install would be nice (altho i believe i can find that on google) i also noticed that when i was playing in the boot options in my pc that there's something that's basically asking which windows am i on. the three options were windows 8, windows 8 WHQL and other os. it's currently on " other os " is this normal?

Kinazo

Commendable
Jun 6, 2016

i am extremely sorry for the very late reply, i came home yesterday, i just made a clean install following the link you provided, thing is i followed it blindly. literally forgot to make a partition for my games or for anything really, is it safe to do it manually after windows installation or should i just re-install my windows cleanly again while it's still empty? also is it a good idea to just let my windows update install the drivers including the graphic drivers or should i try to it manually? thank you so much for your constant help and well, enduring my back and forth crap

USAFRet

Titan

For partitions...what size and type are the drives in this PC?
What partition sizes were you thinking of?

Kinazo

Commendable
Jun 6, 2016

i only have one drive, can't afford an ssd at the moment.
it's 1 terabyte called ST1000DM003-1SB102
i was thinking 100GB for the windows partition and the rest in a single partition.

USAFRet

Titan

I would give the Windows OS partition 250GB, not 100GB.

Kinazo

Commendable
Jun 6, 2016
Everything works. i did the partition after windows, checked multiple games. everything is working ,thanks man. can i ask what exactly happened? was it like a virus that overheated my pc or did something get tangled in the system files?