[SOLVED] Every morning my CPU debug light comes on and wont startup, unless I power off and on my pc multiple times.

MXGamer80

Reputable
Apr 23, 2017
Ok, this issue has been going on for two days so far, and it's starting to concern me as well as get me upset. So jut about three days ago I bought the MSI B450 Gaming Plus Mobo for my Ryzen 5 3600 (Since I can't afford an x570 right now), so I flashed the latest zen 2 bios update from msi (https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-GAMING-PLUS ), and then it seemed to work the day I got it. So then the next morning, it turned on with no issues. But that day I decided to update the chipset (from AMD's website B450 Drivers & Support: https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450 ) to Revision number 1.07.07.0725 I thought it would be fine because in the details (for windows 10 only section) it says it supports 3rd Gen Ryzen processors. So it seemed to be fine for that day, but when the day ended I shut my pc off and went to bed. Next morning I tried to turn my pc on, and it wouldn't boot up, all my rgb's on my mouse and keyboard were off, and my monitor was still asleep, the CPU debug light was on also. I had to power on and off multiple times to get it to work (which seems really risky), but game play was not affected. And so the same process happend again this morning. So any Ideas on what happend? could the chipset update have screwed my cpu up or something? And if so is there anyway to fix this annoying issue?

Specs:
Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz
Thermaltake Water 3.0 Performer C
XFX RX 580 8GB GTS Black Edition
MSI B450 Gaming Plus Mobo
HP S700 250GB SSD (Windows 10 1903 Installed)
WD Black 1TB 7200RPM HDD
Corsair Vengence 650M 80+ Silver PSU
XPG Z1 16GB (2x8) 3200Mhz DDR4 Ram

Reactions: valeman2012
Solution
That's right I did set my ram voltage to auto, and my ram is at 3200Mhz. So maybe voltage could be an issue? But I still don't understand why the cpu debug light would be on and not the dram light. I will try different voltages for my ram, and if that doesn't work... x570 time.
There might be a different voltage setting for the memory on initial boot. I wonder if this might be set too low by default for the memory kit. That would explain the weird post behavior but the system working fine after it does post. I'd take a deep dive into your memory and voltage settings and see if you can find a separate memory boot voltage.

I also wouldn't necessarily assume the issue is with the motherboard. The memory and CPU might not be...

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
Power down completely and kill the PSU power. Unplug power, keyboard, mouse, monitor, ext. Press and hold the power button for a minute to drain all of the capacitors. Double check that the 8pin EPS power connector is fully seated. Remove the coin battery on the motherboard and then put it back in after a few minutes. Plug power, keyboard, mouse, and monitor back in. Power it up and see if it posts. If it does than repeatedly restart it from windows to see if it continues to post properly. If it doesn't I would try the other available Ryzen 3000 compatible bios version and see if it works any better. V18 and V19 should both be compatible.

I'm actually having a similar issue on an AsRock board. It was working fine with a 3600x and a 1600 but doesn't want to post consistently with a 3600 installed. It won't always let me into the bios menu when it does post. Seems to work fine when I get into windows. The 3600 also works fine in several other motherboards. AMD didn't do a good job with the AGESA on this launch. I feel bad for guys who don't have extra hardware laying around to troubleshoot with.

MXGamer80

Reputable
Apr 23, 2017
Power down completely and kill the PSU power. Unplug power, keyboard, mouse, monitor, ext. Press and hold the power button for a minute to drain all of the capacitors. Double check that the 8pin EPS power connector is fully seated. Remove the coin battery on the motherboard and then put it back in after a few minutes. Plug power, keyboard, mouse, and monitor back in. Power it up and see if it posts. If it does than repeatedly restart it from windows to see if it continues to post properly. If it doesn't I would try the other available Ryzen 3000 compatible bios version and see if it works any better. V18 and V19 should both be compatible.

I'm actually having a similar issue on an AsRock board. It was working fine with a 3600x and a 1600 but doesn't want to post consistently with a 3600 installed. It won't always let me into the bios menu when it does post. Seems to work fine when I get into windows. The 3600 also works fine in several other motherboards. AMD didn't do a good job with the AGESA on this launch. I feel bad for guys who don't have extra hardware laying around to troubleshoot with.
Sorry for late reply. But your method seems to have worked. Tried it yesterday and checked about 4 hours ago (dddnt use my PC for about 16 hours). And it posted and no issues booted up. I will let you know if anything else weird happens, which in hoping nothing odd happens

Reactions: rigg42

MXGamer80

Reputable
Apr 23, 2017

So I just woke up from bed, for about 9 hours, and my pc didn't post, I had to shut it down once, then start it up, then it posted.

MXGamer80

Reputable
Apr 23, 2017

did the same thing this morning once again

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
My best guess is this may be a memory/bios related issue. Hopefully a new bios update will fix it or you could try a different motherboard/mem kit. I’m still having the same issue with my 3600’s and 2 different AsRock motherboards. I Tried a couple of different memory kits on one of them and 2 different bios’ and still no luck. The CPU works fine on an Asus x370 with the same memory kits.

Reactions: MXGamer80

MXGamer80

Reputable
Apr 23, 2017
My best guess is this may be a memory/bios related issue. Hopefully a new bios update will fix it or you could try a different motherboard/mem kit. I’m still having the same issue with my 3600’s and 2 different AsRock motherboards. I Tried a couple of different memory kits on one of them and 2 different bios’ and still no luck. The CPU works fine on an Asus x370 with the same memory kits.
Thx for your help though, I have had issues with my old x370 sli plus mobo. The update wouldn't allow my x370 mobo to post no matter how mnay times i power on and off, and no luck with the b450. So I may just return my b450 mobo, and sell my x370 mobo to purchase a budget x570 board.

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
You're welcome. I'm not sure I was much help though. The Tuf x570 is pretty great value. That thing should be fine if you ever decide to grab a 12 or 16 core. It's overkill for 3600 but I just don't really trust AsRock and MSI's bios' right now. They seem to have all of the lowest budget x570 stuff. The Gigabyte gaming x might be worth a look although the features and VRM on the Tuf are worth the extra $30 imo. It's kind of hard to justify the x570 tax with your 3600 and rx 580 combo. You might consider giving a different b450 a shot or waiting on a bios update. Do you still have an older CPU to update a b450?

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
Is your memory on this list?

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-GAMING-PLUS#support-mem-19

I remembered that the memory kit I was using wasn't the exact same kit that was posting fine with a 3600x. I forgot that the previous testing I was doing with the AsRock /3600x combo was with a different memory kit of the same model that I returned because I found a better deal on it. I actually tried 4 different memory kits on this CPU/mobo (3 different SKU's) and none of them worked consistently.

So I moved my 3600 CPU that wouldn't post consistently on the AsRock board back over to my crosshair 6 hero wifi. The CPU was previously working fine on this board with the kit of the same SKU that I returned to the store. My first post test fails and I get a C5 memory error. Pull one of the dims and it posts. I try the other 2 slots and get a C5 post fail. I throw a crucial kit in of the same speed and base timings and it posts right away in dual channel. I'm running memtest86 on it now. So far so good.

I decided to throw the kit that won't post consistently with this 3600 and 2 different motherboards and throw it to my strix x370 - f with a different 3600 and it posts first time every time. I believe the 2 asus boards I'm using are using the same AGESA code in the bios'.

Long story short I'm completely confused and can only conclude this. Experimenting with a different CPU or memory kit might get you a properly working system. I'm still not sure if this is a bios issue, an individual memory controller issue, or a combination of both. My hypothesis is that some bios default voltage setting related to memory or memory controller is causing this posting issue . Perhaps some of these CPU's have memory controllers that don't play nice with certain default voltage settings in different bios revisions.

Reactions: MXGamer80

MXGamer80

Reputable
Apr 23, 2017
You're welcome. I'm not sure I was much help though. The Tuf x570 is pretty great value. That thing should be fine if you ever decide to grab a 12 or 16 core. It's overkill for 3600 but I just don't really trust AsRock and MSI's bios' right now. They seem to have all of the lowest budget x570 stuff. The Gigabyte gaming x might be worth a look although the features and VRM on the Tuf are worth the extra $30 imo. It's kind of hard to justify the x570 tax with your 3600 and rx 580 combo. You might consider giving a different b450 a shot or waiting on a bios update. Do you still have an older CPU to update a b450?
I actually got rid of my r5 1600, as it didn't work for some reason.

MXGamer80

Reputable
Apr 23, 2017
Is your memory on this list?

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-GAMING-PLUS#support-mem-19

I remembered that the memory kit I was using wasn't the exact same kit that was posting fine with a 3600x. I forgot that the previous testing I was doing with the AsRock /3600x combo was with a different memory kit of the same model that I returned because I found a better deal on it. I actually tried 4 different memory kits on this CPU/mobo (3 different SKU's) and none of them worked consistently.

So I moved my 3600 CPU that wouldn't post consistently on the AsRock board back over to my crosshair 6 hero wifi. The CPU was previously working fine on this board with the kit of the same SKU that I returned to the store. My first post test fails and I get a C5 memory error. Pull one of the dims and it posts. I try the other 2 slots and get a C5 post fail. I throw a crucial kit in of the same speed and base timings and it posts right away in dual channel. I'm running memtest86 on it now. So far so good.

I decided to throw the kit that won't post consistently with this 3600 and 2 different motherboards and throw it to my strix x370 - f with a different 3600 and it posts first time every time. I believe the 2 asus boards I'm using are using the same AGESA code in the bios'.

Long story short I'm completely confused and can only conclude this. Experimenting with a different CPU or memory kit might get you a properly working system. I'm still not sure if this is a bios issue, an individual memory controller issue, or a combination of both. My hypothesis is that some bios default voltage setting related to memory or memory controller is causing this posting issue . Perhaps some of these CPU's have memory controllers that don't play nice with certain default voltage settings in different bios revisions.
That's right I did set my ram voltage to auto, and my ram is at 3200Mhz. So maybe voltage could be an issue? But I still don't understand why the cpu debug light would be on and not the dram light. I will try different voltages for my ram, and if that doesn't work... x570 time.

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
There might be a different voltage setting for the memory on initial boot. I wonder if this might be set too low by default for the memory kit. That would explain the weird post behavior but the system working fine after it does post. I'd take a deep dive into your memory and voltage settings and see if you can find a separate memory boot voltage.

I also wouldn't necessarily assume the issue is with the motherboard. The memory and CPU might not be playing nice. Are you sure it's a CPU debug light and not a CPU ready light? I'm not really familiar with your mobos debug LEDs but my C6H CPU ready LED was lit up green when throwing a memory post code.

Solution

MXGamer80

Reputable
Apr 23, 2017
Are you sure it's a CPU debug light and not a CPU ready light? I'm not really familiar with your mobos debug LEDs but my C6H CPU ready LED was lit up green when throwing a memory post code.
Yes, it is the cpu debug light, because "EZ Debug LED" is right next to 4 small red led's. And what is a ready light? do you have an image of what that looks like? I also set my Ram voltage to 1.4 volts (Reds out at 1.45), and if that doesn't work, I will exchange my cpu through amazon. And then if that doesn't work, I will exchange my Ram sticks for different modules but the same brand and model (Adata XPG Z1), or should I try a diff. brand? Then if that doesn't work, x570 mobo. This might actually be a long process... But I hope not.

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
Yes, it is the cpu debug light, because "EZ Debug LED" is right next to 4 small red led's. And what is a ready light? do you have an image of what that looks like? I also set my Ram voltage to 1.4 volts (Reds out at 1.45), and if that doesn't work, I will exchange my cpu through amazon. And then if that doesn't work, I will exchange my Ram sticks for different modules but the same brand and model (Adata XPG Z1), or should I try a diff. brand? Then if that doesn't work, x570 mobo. This might actually be a long process... But I hope not.
I just checked your manual and it doesn't have the CPU ready LED. Never mind about that. Did you check to see if your specific RAM kit is on the 3000 mem QVL?

MXGamer80

Reputable
Apr 23, 2017
Thanks for ideas and help rigg42. I think I will call my issue solved, since this will take a while, I'm going to return my 3600, and if that doesn't work I will be returning my ram and exchanging, then if that doesn't work I will just get an x570. I've got it from here now. Thank you sir.