Question Every mouse, even new ones, keeps jumping to the left upper corner of the screen.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 12, 2023
Hi guys, so i have this problem with EVERY mouse that is pluged on my pc for a long time now, i have tried many things searching on the internet for possible solutions and NOTHING works. Its important to highlight that i tried to make a complety clean instalation of windows without exporting any old fiel and this dosent work either. I bougth like 6 different mouses and EVERY single one does the same thing. I am using a Superligth pro now, but i tried a DA v2 pro and a GPRO standart too and many other mouses that a got with friends. So i have 100% sure that is NOT a problem with the mouse. I recorded a video of the screen showing how the problem looks like. I tried to reinstall the mouse drivers in the divice manger too. All this standart solutions have beeing tried many times for months now.

Configs: Gigabyte z390 m gaming / I79700KF / RTX 2070 EVGA - Here it is a photo of the desktop https://prnt.sc/Ix9zhPPE2g-4

Link to the video showing the problem =
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v8nzE6uCHQ&ab_channel=CortesdoBlaackTM

I have something to add, my past home had some eletrical problem, that make my old tv stop working as my mothers microwave, we moved to another place now, but my new PSU had contact with the old house, is there any change that she was damaged? Because even in SAFE MODE and INSIDE the BIOS the problem still there.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2023
@Guilherme Obeica

I have not noted anything thing that suggests "you" as being an AI or bot.

= = = =

That said, I am curious about the image of the new motherboard.

Is that the way the motherboard(s) were delivered? Or are now being packaged and delivered?

I would expect that the motherboard would simply be slid into and out of the anti-static bag/envelope.

The image appears to show a hole cut into the bag.

The anti-static packaging was completely removed before installing the motherboards - correct?
I am sending back the motherboard, to try RMA because i just bought to try to solve the problem.

Sep 12, 2023
Well the only last ditch idea is you have bootleg software on your computer. Bootleg Windows , bootleg game you keep installing .

In the early 2000's if you installed a pirated game it would seem all went well. But the more you played weird things would happen. Your shots no longer hit . Your use key no longer functioned in whatever game so no matter how many times you tried to open a door in game to move on you were stuck. The mouse in FarCry just stopped working all together.

The only time it still happens to a legit game is Rainbow 6 siege when you exit the game the mouse will park it's self to the left like you said. After about 10 to 15 sec the game fully releases grip on mouse.

If this is the case the forum does not help with pirated Windows or games.

ALL your hardware has been changed and your still with the lefty mouse.

But you say In bios i does it as well so. Pulling the full story out of you to help you has been daunting.
So the problem happens even with the new copy of windows coming from microsoft oficial site thougth media creation tool, windows 11 and windows 10 nothing changes. And yes all my hardware was changed, i really dont know what to do, i think i have i EXTREME rare problem or unic it self i dont know.... show this to someone that would be so curious about it that could help... please

Sep 12, 2023

Being as I can't read as not in English.
The second one is from a forum that is kind tom's but from Brazil, it has more info but not so much that i didnt talked here, one thing i dont mensioned is, when i put one of the mouses that had beeing in contact with my pc in another pc the pc starts to show the exatly same problem, but even if you pull out the mouse and put back the mouse that was working perfectly before the mouse that was in my pc got pluged he will start to show the same issue. That absoluty crazy, its like i have being cursed or somethig

Sep 12, 2023
The second one is from a forum that is kind tom's but from Brazil, it has more info but not so much that i didnt talked here, one thing i dont mensioned is, when i put one of the mouses that had beeing in contact with my pc in another pc the pc starts to show the exatly same problem, but even if you pull out the mouse and put back the mouse that was working perfectly before the mouse that was in my pc got pluged he will start to show the same issue. That absoluty crazy, its like i have being cursed or somethig
But the problem is, i thought that the mouse kind infect the motherboard, so if i bougth i new one and a new mouse and a new kyboard would work right? WRONG, even this way didnt work, the m2 was empty and got a brand new windows 11 with a new motherboard and a new mouse and a new keyboard and NOTHINGelse plug besides the monitor. So this didnt work to, the only thing old was the grafic card in this trying.

Honestly I wish I could get my hands on your system because it's such a puzzle.
In all my years of working on computers I have only had defeat on two systems.

One was my old motherboards an old AMD a7n8xe-Delux I gave to my son than just one day died. By the end of the day he was up and running with a quick replacement.

The other had no hope a client sent in and again an old AMD Barton XP CPU. She just cooked the CPU and cracked it in half.

Sep 12, 2023
Honestly I wish I could get my hands on your system because it's such a puzzle.
In all my years of working on computers I have only had defeat on two systems.

One was my old motherboards an old AMD a7n8xe-Delux I gave to my son than just one day died. By the end of the day he was up and running with a quick replacement.

The other had no hope a client sent in and again an old AMD Barton XP CPU. She just cooked the CPU and cracked it in half.
I wish i could send to someone like you to be honest, but the distance makes it impossible sadly. I am going tomorrow in a nearby city here that is bigger them mine and has a place that makes repair and stuff like that. I am hoping that they somehow understand what is happeing. I will come here if i find somenthing

MrLitschel

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
Simple question - Do you use a glossy mouse pad (reflect light)? If so, change it to one that is mat color.

Assuming it’s an optical mouse you have, they are very sensitive to different patterns/colours on mouse pads or similar multi-coloured surfaces. Simply try a buff coloured envelope.

Sep 12, 2023
Simple question - Do you use a glossy mouse pad (reflect light)? If so, change it to one that is mat color.

Assuming it’s an optical mouse you have, they are very sensitive to different patterns/colours on mouse pads or similar multi-coloured surfaces. Simply try a buff coloured envelope.
In the begging i thought i was the mousepad, before trying to buy a new mouse i bought 6 diferent mousepads from hyperx, logitech, steelseries, and corsair....

Are you formatting the hard drive/ssd during windows install?
Are you installing in offline mode?
No wifi or Ethernet connected?
Windows will download whatever you have in one drive and apply if you sign in to your microsoft account when installing windows.
That is the only way for the problem to keep moving to a new system/install.

Sep 8, 2023
And here is the pictures of the new motherboard for example https://prnt.sc/2rUm-eBhVuVu
I'm thinking about your case or some connector on the case. Could it be that a connector on the case that makes bad contact with the motherboard is your problem, have you tried without the case this and nothing has changed? I'm waiting for you to do a caseless test with no case cores coming to the motherboard. Here I strongly believe that is the problem, I know a few cases

Sep 12, 2023
I'm thinking about your case or some connector on the case. Could it be that a connector on the case that makes bad contact with the motherboard is your problem, have you tried without the case this and nothing has changed? I'm waiting for you to do a caseless test with no case cores coming to the motherboard. Here I strongly believe that is the problem, I know a few cases
So i thought it could be something with the case, and as i said i had a Thermaltake before, and now i am using a 4000D brand new. You know some case like mine? But i think that even the new stuff can be damged some how because of my old house. That the only thing i can think off.

Sep 12, 2023
And do remember to post the additional photographs of motherboard and case.
So saturday i leave me PC in a assistance in a nearby city, city is Juiz de Fora a bit larger them mine, but is very hard to find qualifield people to do those services in Brazil if you are not in a capital. That what makes everything mutch harder. I am wating to see what they will say and get back the pc, them i can post more photos.

Sep 12, 2023
And one more thing, i dont know if i mentioned that but, testing many thing with my friends pc we discoverd that when some of the mouses that had contact with my pc are put in another funcional pc the new pc starts to do the same thing with ALL mouses that are conect to him. And the pc dosent go back to normal ever again, not even thougth formatation.

Sep 12, 2023
And one more thing, this period that i am without my pc i am using my old xbox one like a pc, i can put mouse and keybord on him and use EDGE to talk to you now for example, and putting my mouse that was on my pc on the xbox the same problem apears, that absoluty insane.

Ralston18

Titan
If the problem occurs on one PC with multiple mice then the problem would be the PC.

Do I understand correctly that the problem also occurs if the mouse is connected to an Xbox?

And no adapters of any sort are being used between the mouse and host computer?

Take a close look at how everything is connected with respect to computers, peripherals, audio, neworking, etc..

All cable, power connections - everything.

Could be that a loop of some sort is present: Device A connected to Device B connected to Device C connected to Device D connected to Device A again.

Beyond that I am not sure what else to look for or suggest.

Sep 12, 2023
If the problem occurs on one PC with multiple mice then the problem would be the PC.

Do I understand correctly that the problem also occurs if the mouse is connected to an Xbox?

And no adapters of any sort are being used between the mouse and host computer?

Take a close look at how everything is connected with respect to computers, peripherals, audio, neworking, etc..

All cable, power connections - everything.

Could be that a loop of some sort is present: Device A connected to Device B connected to Device C connected to Device D connected to Device A again.

Beyond that I am not sure what else to look for or suggest.
Ya in Xbox to, and ya i thought about something like that but even just de mouse connected to the pc with no ethernet cable and no peripherals just the monitor still happens.

Sep 12, 2023

Ralston18

Titan
The first image shows that quite a number of apps etc. may be running. Close down, disable as many as possible and do not allow them to start up again at boot time.

Determine if doing so changes the mouse behavior - just as a matter of elimination. If so and the mouse behaves normally you will need to bring the apps etc. back one at a time to discover the culprit.

= = = =

What is the source of those white cables? The cables appear to be a bit tight and with some kinks and twists.

What the case photographs indicate, from what I can see, is that the fans' air flow may be causing a cable/connector to move which introduces a short or disconnect that in turn affects the mouse.

Especially if the cable/connector is indeed kinked or twisted.

Not sure about the direction of the airflows.

Test by disconnecting one fan at a time to determine if the mouse behavior changes.

Ensure that all connectors are fully and firmly in place and that any plugs just hanging somewhere are secured from moving. Verify that RAM, jumpers, and case connections are all fully seated.

Be very methodical and take a closer look for any problems with the white cables/connectors.

Sep 12, 2023
The first image shows that quite a number of apps etc. may be running. Close down, disable as many as possible and do not allow them to start up again at boot time.

Determine if doing so changes the mouse behavior - just as a matter of elimination. If so and the mouse behaves normally you will need to bring the apps etc. back one at a time to discover the culprit.

= = = =

What is the source of those white cables? The cables appear to be a bit tight and with some kinks and twists.

What the case photographs indicate, from what I can see, is that the fans' air flow may be causing a cable/connector to move which introduces a short or disconnect that in turn affects the mouse.

Especially if the cable/connector is indeed kinked or twisted.

Not sure about the direction of the airflows.

Test by disconnecting one fan at a time to determine if the mouse behavior changes.

Ensure that all connectors are fully and firmly in place and that any plugs just hanging somewhere are secured from moving. Verify that RAM, jumpers, and case connections are all fully seated.

Be very methodical and take a closer look for any problems with the white cables/connectors.
It cant be anything with windows really, the mouse behaviar is the same at the BIOS for example. I think it can be a firmware malware, because if i put one of the mouses in a new pc the new pc gets the exatcly same ploblem with every mouse.... in this case what can i do? And the white cables are from de PSU and they are all new and since the first instalation of the PSU worked the same way. I dont think its a problem with the airflow since the older case had none fan just the back one near de CPU.

Ralston18

Titan
If the problem is following a mouse (or mice) to a new computer then my question is where are you getting the mouse drivers?

Try running Malwarebytes (free version).

Then consider that Windows may be the source of the problem. What was the source of the Windows installation software?

Lastly try running "dism" and "sfc /scannow". Could be some file corruption.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Sep 12, 2023
If the problem is following a mouse (or mice) to a new computer then my question is where are you getting the mouse drivers?

Try running Malwarebytes (free version).

Then consider that Windows may be the source of the problem. What was the source of the Windows installation software?

Lastly try running "dism" and "sfc /scannow". Could be some file corruption.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161
I used media creation tool from microsoft site, and a new flash drive. And i have the premium karpesky, and i tried malwarwbytes too, many times, he cant find anything. This thing about dism and sfc i tried many times too.

Status
Not open for further replies.