[SOLVED] Every single game I own drops in fps when I move my mouse

ewesselow

Reputable
Jan 14, 2018
I have a Rival 3 and no matter what game I'm playing I get this weird problem where my frames drop massively once I start moving my mouse, but when I just use my keyboard my framerate stays at a smooth 60. I've heard this can be caused by high polling but I checked out my mouses polling and it was below 250. This only recently started happening and I did already have the Rival 3 before this started and it's a very new mouse.

Solution
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: Make, model, wattage, age, condition.

=========

Reinstall the mouse drivers.

Manually download the drivers via the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure. (No third party installation tools.)

Then if the fps drops continue use Resource Monitor and Task Manager (use both but only one at a time) to observe system performance.

First while not gaming and second, while gaming. Watch what changes when the mouse is moved.
I have a Rival 3 and no matter what game I'm playing I get this weird problem where my frames drop massively once I start moving my mouse, but when I just use my keyboard my framerate stays at a smooth 60. I've heard this can be caused by high polling but I checked out my mouses polling and it was below 250. This only recently started happening and I did already have the Rival 3 before this started and it's a very new mouse.
setting your mouse polling to under 250 isn't that coolio, as it introduces more input lag set it back to the highest you can as that didn't fix your issue.

ewesselow

Reputable
Jan 14, 2018
setting your mouse polling to under 250 isn't that coolio, as it introduces more input lag set it back to the highest you can as that didn't fix your issue.
Turns out it's actually set to 1000 but polling rate checkers show the polling rate as being between 50 and 100. I'm not even sure if this is what's causing my problems as I've had these settings from day 1 and they've never caused problems before, although I don't know why my polling rate isn't what I have it set to.

ewesselow

Reputable
Jan 14, 2018
So it turns out lowering the setting to 500 fixed the problem, although I feel like I still notice a slight fps drop, I also don't understand why it all of a sudden was impacting my framerate when the polling rate had been set to 1000 since I bought the mouse

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: Make, model, wattage, age, condition.

=========

Reinstall the mouse drivers.

Manually download the drivers via the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure. (No third party installation tools.)

Then if the fps drops continue use Resource Monitor and Task Manager (use both but only one at a time) to observe system performance.

First while not gaming and second, while gaming. Watch what changes when the mouse is moved.

Solution