Question Every time I try to put my laptop to sleep or shut it down, it just restarts instead ?

Steak The Wizard

Honorable
Apr 7, 2017
I have an MSI GF75 laptop which I recently took to get fixed at a shop. I believe they replaced the charging port. Since being fixed the laptop will restart every time it shuts down or sleeps. I've tried fiddling with any Windows setting I can find online and nothing seems to work. My two questions would be

1. Is this a problem that needs fixing or will the laptop be fine if it's left on permanently?

2. Is there any solutions to this problem that I'm unaware of?

Thanks for any responses,
Jack

Edit: the laptop now makes a noise every now and again while the lid is shut. It might be the bootup noise I'm not sure. The screen appears to be off however.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
What was the original reason for taking the laptop to the shop?

Why did the shop, if they told you, replace the charging port? Do you know that they really did so?

One possible reason is that the laptop (while being repaired) missed a few updates and is now trying to do so.

The "doing so" involving restarts. And that entire process can be problematic.....

Another possible reason is that during the charging port replacement something else is now shorted out and the laptop believes that that short is a restart.

If the shop offered any warranty for their work then take the laptop back and report the problem.

See what they say and then, if necessary, post accordingly.

Steak The Wizard

Honorable
Apr 7, 2017
What was the original reason for taking the laptop to the shop?

Why did the shop, if they told you, replace the charging port? Do you know that they really did so?

One possible reason is that the laptop (while being repaired) missed a few updates and is now trying to do so.

The "doing so" involving restarts. And that entire process can be problematic.....

Another possible reason is that during the charging port replacement something else is now shorted out and the laptop believes that that short is a restart.

If the shop offered any warranty for their work then take the laptop back and report the problem.

See what they say and then, if necessary, post accordingly.
I took the laptop to the shop because it wouldn't charge anymore and I'm pretty sure they replaced the charging port as the pin had snapped off. They also updated the bios I'm pretty sure and cleaned the dust off the motherboard. The shop were aware of the problem and said they would charge an extra £100 as they would test it with a different SSD to diagnose the problem. Is it a problem that is particularly important to fix even?