Every Type Of VR Headset (So Far), Explained

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had 4 people try my DK2, not one of them was that impressed. And not a single one is planning on buying VR of any kind. I'll be impressed if VR even reaches the level of adoption of 3D Vision. I think AR like Hololens has much more potential and less downsides.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
Had 4 people try my DK2, not one of them was that impressed. And not a single one is planning on buying VR of any kind. I'll be impressed if VR even reaches the level of adoption of 3D Vision. I think AR like Hololens has much more potential and less downsides.

Sounds like you need new friends. ;)

But seriously, I'm surprised to hear that. We in the tech media have a tendency to become a little jaded -- we see amazing tech all the time, and it can be hard to impress us -- but every other tech journalist I've talked to who has seen the higher-end VR demos is blown away.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

This surprises me greatly.
What did you show them in VR? Was it a game that wasn't designed from the ground up in VR perhaps?

I've personally shown the DK2 to hundreds, if not thousands of people at our local comic con. Practically every single person walked away with thier minds blown.

VR will have limited adoption for the first few months, maybe the first year. I fully expect MASSIVE adoption soon after that. People that buy-in early will show it to thier family and friends and people will "get it". That's when sales will spike rapidly.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015
I think you guys forgot 3DHead, the largest headset clearly wins.

You're right. I completely forgot that 3DHead existed. It doesn't help thier case that it wasn't found in any of my searches for material for this article.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
I think I'll wait til the more expensive units have been in retail for a year or so. But for now, my plastic $20 cardboard-like for my note4 will do.

SockPuppet

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
I've taken my DK2 to work and shown it to about 100 people. Every single one of them was blown away. The first question they ask is "where can I get one of those?".

Kentlim

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015
Question: what software application & content work with these devices? Isn't it very limited? Are there lots of special proprietary formats or has there been some consolidation already?

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010

That is the conundrum. Oculus is specific to the PC and system requirements are quite high. Sony is making the Morpheus for their PS4. Then there are the phone ones that will work with only certain phones and other phone ones such as the Google Cardboard that work with a variety of phones. If the Samsung Gear VR wasn't so expensive, I would try it out with my Note 4, but again, it is limited to content that Samsung has designed. I would be happy watching Netflix or Hulu from my own HMD. However, what I really want is one device to rule them all. Plug in HDMI and you are good to go. I think Razer is trying to build a standard as far as PC gaming and connectivity.

I don't doubt it will have a niche market, but as far as widespread consumer adoption I doubt it. Aside from the nausea/dizzyness/de-realization, in the case of OR, there are the system requirements, which far exceed what the average system has. Just looking at the steam hardware survey very few systems actually have cards within the last 2 generations, less than 20% according to the steam hardware survey a month ago, with the previous 2 (3 and 4 generations ago) making up like 30% and Intel graphics making up 18% or so. If they want to make the most sales they target the mass rather than the minority. That's why I say I'll be impressed if it even matches 3D Vision in terms of success. 3D in general was well hyped but failed to really take off commercially, I don't see this turning out differently; hype alone is not enough to overcome the aforementioned issues.

remosito

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2013
contrary to all the other smartphone holders the gearVR has specialized low-latency IMU-sensor(s) built-into the smartphone holder and does not rely on the sub-par IMUs inside the Smartphones themselves for rotational tracking. One reason it is so much pricier than the rest. And well worth being added to this comparison article.

remosito

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2013

what demos/games were you showing them?

FlyInverted

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014
Star VR provides much better peripheral vision and also looks to offer tracked controllers, but only for their games. The most proprietary solution so far which is disappointing given the advertised field of view.

FlyInverted

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014
Thanks for including the others. If you watch the Tested video from StarVR at E³ you'll see the comment about developer limited compatibility. Only for Starbreeze games. Remind me, what do they make again?

computerguy72

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Had 4 people try my DK2, not one of them was that impressed. And not a single one is planning on buying VR of any kind.
That is borderline ridiculous. So much so that it seems unlikely that you really have a DK2. I've shown mine to a lot of people and all were impressed. To actually find 4 people in a row who aren't seems basically impossible. I doubt you could find 4 in a row not impressed in a retirement home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts