Question Everything but CPU starts up.

NovaPvP

Honorable
Nov 27, 2016
I have an X570 Pro motherboard and a Ryzen 7 3700X, I wanted to use my old heatsink and fan so I took my old one off cleaned the CPU off with isopropyl alcohol then realized I don't have the backplate for my old cooler so I cleaned off the new thermal paste and reapplied some then put the old cooler on and went to plug my PC in. When I started my PC everything starts up even my CPU fan but my CPU fan stops after about 3 seconds and around my CPU doesn't feel hot at all. Did my CPU die on me? My theory is the fan isn't running cause there is no CPU temp it's reading but I'm not sure if that's exactly how it works. My GPU, hard drives, and SSD are all still running and my power button starts my PC up but won't shut my PC down even if I hold it for a long time. I don't make it to BIOS either. I took my Cmos battery out reset bios and now my CPU fan spins but the area around my CPU still feels cold. Any ideas?

Lutfij

Titan
You're advised to mention the make and model of your motherboard, not just the chipset it's based off of.

I wanted to use my old heatsink and fan so I took my old one off cleaned the CPU off with isopropyl alcohol then realized I don't have the backplate for my old cooler so I cleaned off the new thermal paste and reapplied some then put the old cooler on and went to plug my PC in.
Make and model of the cooler you were working with and the cooler you tried to retrofit?

Seems like the backplate or cooler might be causing a short, if installing that caused the system to be inoperable.

NovaPvP

Honorable
Nov 27, 2016
You're advised to mention the make and model of your motherboard, not just the chipset it's based off of.

I wanted to use my old heatsink and fan so I took my old one off cleaned the CPU off with isopropyl alcohol then realized I don't have the backplate for my old cooler so I cleaned off the new thermal paste and reapplied some then put the old cooler on and went to plug my PC in.
Make and model of the cooler you were working with and the cooler you tried to retrofit?

Seems like the backplate or cooler might be causing a short, if installing that caused the system to be inoperable.
Here's my motherboard sorry haven't dealt with mobos in a bit https://www.amazon.com/Asus-Prime-X570-P-Ryzen-Motherboard/dp/B07SW925DR/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?crid=2J5ZBXYHE9A8J&keywords=asus+x570+pro&qid=1659464474&sprefix=asus+x570+pro,aps,216&sr=8-6
I completely removed the cooler, backplate and brackets and took my CPU out checked the pins they all looked good and I reseated it. Turned my PC back on with no cooler just to see if it would boot at all or if my CPU would heat up and it was still completely cold I don't think my motherboard has any error diagnosing either.

Last edited:

NovaPvP

Honorable
Nov 27, 2016
^ ?
Sorry didn't see that bit I had my Ryzen wraith on there that comes with the CPU then I was trying to install my old Coolermaster evo 212 I applied thermal paste but didn't have the original backplate and wanted to see if it could attach it to my wraith backplate but I saw the screws were way too far away so I just took it out and then put my wraith back on after that now my PC won't start. And someone already asked me yes I have thermal paste on it but my CPU doesn't seem to heat up at all.

Lutfij

Titan
Perhaps the backplate is not in the right order and is causing a short.

Check and recheck that the backplate and the mounting mechanism that came with the board are in proper order. Same story for the fan connection. For the time being, forgo connecting the RGB and USB connector on the cooler, just connect the CPU fan cable to the CPU_FAN header. Disconnect from the wall and display, remove the CMOS battery for at least 30 minutes before replacing it.

NovaPvP

Honorable
Nov 27, 2016
Perhaps the backplate is not in the right order and is causing a short.

Check and recheck that the backplate and the mounting mechanism that came with the board are in proper order. Same story for the fan connection. For the time being, forgo connecting the RGB and USB connector on the cooler, just connect the CPU fan cable to the CPU_FAN header. Disconnect from the wall and display, remove the CMOS battery for at least 30 minutes before replacing it.
Apparently I don't have the pro version of the mobo I thought I did but there is a pro version and a p version I thought the p stood for pro but I did what you said and still no luck I even got another screw for the one I lost taking the heatsink brackets off cause some people said a missing screw could short it I took this video sorry my PC is so dirty I had a dog for years.
View: https://youtu.be/gMneAlAm7iM

Also my optical drive still opens I don't know if that means anything but my power button starts my PC up but can't turn it off. And thanks for helping me you are the only person who has responded to me more than once and answering quickly.

Lutfij

Titan
Thank you for the video! Gave some context to the build.

Check to see if your front panel connections to the board are upside down. Wait! What is the make and model of the PSU in your build and how old is the unit? Breadboard the system , with one stick of ram on slot A2 and see if you can get the system to POST and live out of it.

If you think the CPU is the culprit, you might want to take the CPU and drop it into a known working motherboard(provided it has the appropriate BIOS version).

NovaPvP

Honorable
Nov 27, 2016
Thank you for the video! Gave some context to the build.

Check to see if your front panel connections to the board are upside down. Wait! What is the make and model of the PSU in your build and how old is the unit? Breadboard the system , with one stick of ram on slot A2 and see if you can get the system to POST and live out of it.

If you think the CPU is the culprit, you might want to take the CPU and drop it into a known working motherboard(provided it has the appropriate BIOS version).
My front panel connection is fine, my psu is a atng atm-600FB it's probably nearing about 5 years old and it came with my Prebuilt I have never had problems with it before but never swapped it out either. I have an old mobo so I can see if my PC starts up with that CPU and if my GPU works with it cause I don't have another mobo to put my CPU in. And I can see if my psu works with that setup

Lutfij

Titan
Erm...
Please source a donor PSU from a friend or neighbor who owns a reliably built PSU and has at least 650W of power at your entire system's disposal.

Old motherboard? Just make sure it has the right BIOS to cooperate with the Ryzen 7 3700x, often times people misinterpret a bad board when the issue was that the board didn't have the right BIOS on it. Speaking of BIOS, while your system is breadboarded, try and perform what's stated in your motherboard manual, page 3-21, CrashFree BIOS 3, to see if the issue was due to a corruption in your BIOS.

NovaPvP

Honorable
Nov 27, 2016
Erm...
Please source a donor PSU from a friend or neighbor who owns a reliably built PSU and has at least 650W of power at your entire system's disposal.

Old motherboard? Just make sure it has the right BIOS to cooperate with the Ryzen 7 3700x, often times people misinterpret a bad board when the issue was that the board didn't have the right BIOS on it. Speaking of BIOS, while your system is breadboarded, try and perform what's stated in your motherboard manual, page 3-21, CrashFree BIOS 3, to see if the issue was due to a corruption in your BIOS.
The old mobo is a b360m which apprarently in an intel chipset and I have my really old amd fx 8350 from my Prebuilt in there so thats not going to work. I put the support disc in like it said but it's saying I need to enter bios setup to recover the bios settings which I have no display I plugged in my keyboard because in the manual it says hit F5 to load default settings but my keyboard has no lights and nothing is happening. Since my keyboard has no lights can I confirm the GPU isn't the problem on my pc would still be running then just without any display right? I can't really source a PSU either and I think I should just buy a new one so I'm going to do that

Lutfij

Titan
I put the support disc in like it said but it's saying I need to enter bios setup to recover the bios settings which I have no display I plugged in my keyboard because in the manual it says hit F5 to load default settings but my keyboard has no lights and nothing is happening.
Are you even reading the same thing I asked you to? Re-read the manual, page 3-21, section 3.11.3

NovaPvP

Honorable
Nov 27, 2016
I put the support disc in like it said but it's saying I need to enter bios setup to recover the bios settings which I have no display I plugged in my keyboard because in the manual it says hit F5 to load default settings but my keyboard has no lights and nothing is happening.
Are you even reading the same thing I asked you to? Re-read the manual, page 3-21, section 3.11.3
Im reading it I have the irl manual and downloaded the one you sent I put the support disc in and let my PC run for a while now I downloaded a newer version onto a USB stick and plugged it in also like it said I have no display so I don't really know what else I can do am I missing something?