[SOLVED] Everything has gone wrong(No windows explorer on boot)

Hillybobilly

Reputable
Oct 22, 2016
I’m pretty sure god wants my OS dead.
So basically a couple days ago my pc wasn’t posting so I went in and reseated a bunch of stuff until it posted again. Then I got a bunch of errors saying that windows couldn’t boot and needed repairing. After restarting a couple times and getting no success, I popped in a windows media flash drive and opened command prompt. I fiddled around with SFC, Chkdsk, and dism. I eventually got SFC to report no violations detected. I also got chkdsk to do the same. However, dism always said that it “couldn’t find the file specified “ at around 15%. I’ll attach the log if you need it. But I kinda gave up after changing the source and some other arguments.
So at this point I tried to get into my OS, but every single USB port cuts out every time windows hits the login screen. In BIOS and the recovery environment, the usb all works...I grabbed a PS2 mouse and turned on the onscreen keyboard, (I have no ps2 keyboard) and typed in the password. And of course, the taskbar was flickering semi-rapidly and the desktop wasn’t loading. So, I came to the conclusion that explorer.exe was restarting. A google search lead me to copy explorer.exe from C:/windows to C:/windows/system32. I did that and tried to log in again and this time explorer.exe doesn’t load at all. Fantastic.
So I went into safe mode and used the ps2 mouse to try to login, and this time it said something like “a policy restricts non-administrators from logging in” or something along those lines. What the heck!
At this point I just kinda gave up and went to reinstall windows. But when I tried to install it on the solid state drive that my old OS was on, it said it couldn’t because the file type was GTP or something. So after further research I realized that my MOBO isn’t even compatible with installing windows onto that kind of drive, which begs the question of how the heck I got windows on there in the first place.
So long story short, explorer.exe is screwed, dism returns errors no matter what, and I can’t reinstall windows without reformatting my SSD (I really don’t want to do that.)
So I just move my important files to a hard drive and wipe it, or should I keep trying to fix it? At this point I am far, far outside of my comfort zone of fixing things, as even the information on the internet isn’t really helping me because my case is so specific. I don’t really need this solved fast but I’d really love some advice!
(Also, could a virus be causing all this? After I post this I will load an antivirus on my flash drive and will see what happens.)

Hillybobilly

Reputable
Oct 22, 2016
UPDATE: ok this is nuts, but i just logged in and my vpn software auto-opened. I went into its settings and found a link to a chrome extension. So I’m now in chrome with no keyboard, and I need to get to settings. Can anyone here think outside the box and take me from chrome to an onscreen keyboard or somehow task manager only with the mouse? Remember windows explorer is dead so I have no taskbar or desktop.Thanks!

Hillybobilly

Reputable
Oct 22, 2016
I got really far and was able to open the onscreen keyboard and stuff. After some troubleshooting I realized that the administrator account was disabled and there was nothing that I could do to re-enable it, and even then I would still need to figure out how to fix Explorer.exe. So I opted for a reinstall. Hopefully this doesn’t happen to anyone else, this whole thing was whack