Question Everything seems to run hotter since upgrading the CPU ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fade_SD

Reputable
Jun 1, 2020
i would definitely.

if there is a mesh floor, i would add another as bottom intake.
and if not replacing the rear exhaust with a better 140mm, then put your highest RPM 120mm there.

if you haven't done a fresh/new install since swapping out the motherboard, yes.
Okay tomorrow when the Local computer store is open again i'll go grab a USB Drive so i can do a Fresh install of Windows and i'll look at what 140mm fans they have in store.

And i don't think that this case can fit 3x 140mm fans in the front sadly at least on the page about the pc cage they state it can fit 3x 120mm 2x 140mm or a 360 AIO in the front

I'll at least get the fresh install of Windows done tomorrow

Do you guys have any 140mm fans recommendations that don't cost half a car per cooler since my savings went to getting the pc upgrades

i don't think that this case can fit 3x 140mm fans in the front
that's why i stated to add one intake to the bottom/floor of the case, if it has mesh flooring.
i'll look at what 140mm fans they have in store...any 140mm fans recommendations
most computer shops or electronics stores charge quite a bit more than you'll usually find online.

i always stuck with Noctua in the past, usually their iPPC editions.
some of the best fans available.

but last couple builds i went with others;
Cryorig QF140
and be quiet! Silent Wings.
both were very high quality and work great.

you mean like add a fan on the PSU Shroud
that wouldn't do any good unless there is cool air being supplied to the PSU compartment.

if the case has a mesh/filtered floor;
add a fan to the floor of the system to act as a third cool air intake.
you may need to remove drive trays and/or compartments for those trays to slide into.
have a Filter under the PC where the PSU Fan is facing
this is for the power supply to pull in cool air and exhaust out of it's rear.
does not affect overall system cooling at all, only the PSU.

if this mesh & filter extends all the way across the bottom of the case add a fan between the PSU and the front panel that will be pulling more cool air into the system through the floor.

Fade_SD

Reputable
Jun 1, 2020
that wouldn't do any good unless there is cool air being supplied to the PSU compartment.

if the case has a mesh/filtered floor;
add a fan to the floor of the system to act as a third cool air intake.
you may need to remove drive trays and/or compartments for those trays to slide into.

this is for the power supply to pull in cool air and exhaust out of it's rear.
does not affect overall system cooling at all, only the PSU.

if this mesh & filter extends all the way across the bottom of the case add a fan between the PSU and the front panel that will be pulling more cool air into the system through the floor.
The filter under the PC is just a small square i can pull out it's sadly not open with a mesh under the PC

You don't think adding a fan on top of the PSU Shroud blowing towards the GPU wouldn't help the GPU being less hot even if it's not able to get fresh air considering it would have air from the front fans blows air in to the fan on the psu shroud re-Direct the air up towards the GPU fans

i ended up installing Windows 11 and then doing a Reset PC keeping my files i don't know if that counts as a Fresh installment of windows if not i suppose i need to find someone with a USB with windows on it and do it the right way
Is that the free UI upgrade method threw a existing windows 10 then no cause you said keep files what you need to do is go back into windows 11 reset this pc and do remove all files make note of the email and password you used to sign up with windows as that is your digital licence key.

Two of the Fans in the front i install the top red one and the bottom one the middle one came pre-installed all of them are facing the correct way and the one exhaust fan in the back came pre-installed aswell i also checked all the Fans on the GPU are spinning
xeJydIb.jpeg
put 2 120mm fans in the top fans should be exaust in top this will allow alot of the hot air to escape from the cpu and gpu better as heat rises.

also in the picture it looks like your using only one pci cable when realistically you should be using 2.

Fade_SD

Reputable
Jun 1, 2020
Is that the free UI upgrade method threw a existing windows 10 then no cause you said keep files what you need to do is go back into windows 11 reset this pc and do remove all files make note of the email and password you used to sign up with windows as that is your digital licence key.
It's the free ui upgrade i used i'm getting a USB tomorrow and doing a actual fresh install of windows

I don't think i'm able to install fans at the top
Not sure what pci cable is if it's the one for the GPU all like power things on the GPU is filled

But when i get more money i'll replace the fans at the front with 140mm

It's the free ui upgrade i used i'm getting a USB tomorrow and doing a actual fresh install of windows

I don't think i'm able to install fans at the top
Not sure what pci cable is if it's the one for the GPU all like power things on the GPU is filled

But when i get more money i'll replace the fans at the front with 140mm

yep you can get 2 fans in the top. if its a tight max you can get is 2 140mm fans but i would go with slim fans for clearance.

yes the gpu cable how many did you use as you need 2 pci cables not just 1 single cable the reason is each cable gives the gpu 150w of power roughly so if you only use 1 youll get issues as it looks like its been daisy chained. some of the power pins are in the wrong location

you should have 2 8 pin gpu pci connected

some might be a 6+2 pin which should be combined as a 8 pin on the same connector it detaches from.

Fade_SD

Reputable
Jun 1, 2020
yep you can get 2 fans in the top. if its a tight max you can get is 2 140mm fans but i would go with slim fans for clearance.

yes the gpu cable how many did you use as you need 2 pci cables not just 1 single cable the reason is each cable gives the gpu 150w of power roughly so if you only use 1 youll get issues as it looks like its been daisy chained. some of the power pins are in the wrong location

you should have 2 8 pin gpu pci connected

some might be a 6+2 pin which should be combined as a 8 pin on the same connector it detaches from.
The GPU cable came with the corsair PSU and it's what i've used since i got the GPU and i've never had any issues with it

Not sure if i'm able to get my sauage hands above the cpu cooler and install 2x 120mm exhaust fans at the top

Fade_SD

Reputable
Jun 1, 2020
Installing top fans actually is counter productive.
Air brought from front intake fans will get expelled through top fans out of pc case without doing any cooling work.
Air has to travel through heatsinks to provide a cooling effect.
I figured aswell since i've watched a few videos on like good airflow in a case watched like Jay2Cents etc But again tomorrow i'll do a fresh install of windows (hopefully i can figure it out) and then when i'm able to change the front fans to 140mm instead of 120mm and see if that helps if not i guess imma live with a hot GPU xD

Installing top fans actually is counter productive.
Air brought from front intake fans will get expelled through top fans out of pc case without doing any cooling work.
Air has to travel through heatsinks to provide a cooling effect.

i have never had that issue really depends on what speed you set the top fans. my front fans push air towards all my components i know there working as hot air is expelling out of my case.

I figured aswell since i've watched a few videos on like good airflow in a case watched like Jay2Cents etc But again tomorrow i'll do a fresh install of windows (hopefully i can figure it out) and then when i'm able to change the front fans to 140mm instead of 120mm and see if that helps if not i guess imma live with a hot GPU xD
i would still recomend a top fan closer to the rear of the case. as exaust that would help dump out more heat.

from my personal own experience the top fans i would tweak to be slower e.g mine are running at 1200 rpm and are slower then my front to prevent the issue that skynetrising pointed out without said fans i had a 5 degree difference in temps its all about balancing on how fast the airflow is pushed in and out the case. each case is going to work diffrently

Fade_SD

Reputable
Jun 1, 2020
i would still recomend a top fan closer to the rear of the case. as exaust that would help dump out more heat.

from my personal own experience the top fans i would tweak to be slower e.g mine are running at 1200 rpm and are slower then my front to prevent the issue that skynetrising pointed out without said fans i had a 5 degree difference in temps its all about balancing on how fast the airflow is pushed in and out the case. each case is going to work diffrently
if i'm able to i might put the corsair fan at the top at the back of the case not sure if i have enough cooler pins on my motherboard tho but i'll see what i end up doing

if i'm able to i might put the corsair fan at the top at the back of the case not sure if i have enough cooler pins on my motherboard tho but i'll see what i end up doing

if you have 2 fans that are identical you can run them of 1 header with a splitter. i recomend identical speeds cause mixing can damage 1 fan if its faster then the other.

Fade_SD

Reputable
Jun 1, 2020
if you have 2 fans that are identical you can run them of 1 header with a splitter. i recomend identical speeds cause mixing can damage 1 fan if its faster then the other.
i know like the CPU cooler fans came with a connector so if i end up getting more notchua (can't spell) fans i can connect them that c:

Fade_SD

Reputable
Jun 1, 2020
Okay Update Guys hopefully you all see this

I went and bought a USB flash drive i followed a guide on how to install the windows installer onto it. I did that and then restarted my PC booted into the USB drive installed Windows on the same SSD as i normally have it. After that i installed Gigabyte Control center where i through that could install a lot of different things

AMD Chip set etc etc I don't remember all the stuff
I downloaded nvidia experience to make sure my GPU have the newest driver

And i'm currently working on all the windows updates aswell

Now on my SSD where my windows is i got two folder's named Window.old can i delete those? since the SSD is only 240GB and it pretty filled now

Also also is there anything else i need to do after a fresh install of Windows?

Sidenote my other drives still have the games on them that i had installed from earlier it still counts as a fresh install tho right? or have i done something wrong?

Fade_SD

Reputable
Jun 1, 2020
You want to do a clean install with ONLY the C drive present.
If other drives are present, windows will place files on them which you do not want.
Connect your old drives later.
Well i already installed windows etc without taking out my other drives is it a big issue i did it like that?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
I got
asus rog strix rtx 2080 super
There is a bios switch on this one if i'm not mistaken, since having temp issues with it if i read right make sure it is not set to the bios which makes it quiet.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-geforce-rtx-2080-super-strix-oc/3.html

I personally don't see a big problem with the fan setup you have, would myself put the red/black bionix fan above the cpu cooler at the back and lift the other two just abit higher since one is blowing alot of air into the psu shroud. The bionix fan i think might have another connector to it which can make you have the back fan and the bionix fan work from one header if not having anough of them.
See no reason to upgrade to 140mm fans, just try some different positions first with what you have.

Last edited: