Everything You Need To Know About Intel’s Coffee Lake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will the 300 series support older 1151 CPU's? I looked on the ASRock site and they only have the coffee lake CPU's in the support list. Say if someone has a 100 series board with a 6600K going will the Z370 support the 6600K?

FritzEiv

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
Intel has told us no, the 300-series boards will not support older CPUs. We are getting some more specifics on this, and will report them when we know more.

mattkiss

Honorable
Sep 22, 2016

I've been following the Coffee Lake news and it doesn't look like Z370 motherboards will support any cpus before Coffee Lake. So if you want a Z370 board, you'll have to pair it with an 8xxx series processor.

shpankey

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2017
Shame, I would of definitely bought one if they did. Just like I upgraded to Kaby Lake when it came out from Sky Lake. Just drop it in, no other changes and presto, instant upgrade. But to upgrade the motherboard means a completely new install of Windows is required, and I'm not losing all of my games, apps, updates and settings and going through that nightmare.

Now, intel forces me to wait, and I will probably go AMD next just because I feel wronged here. They COULD have made it work, but choose not to.

doesitmatter

Honorable
May 3, 2012

Actually it's been reported that it was the motherboard makers that pushed to not add support for previous generation CPUs that are still socket compatible. This was because of the highly constrained timelines and the extra time that adding that support would have taken for things like qualification etc...

CBRworm

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2007
I can't find any spot for general site feedback. I have been having trouble with EVGA and Nissan video adds auto-playing with audio in Chrome. This is happening at my office where it is totally inappropriate to have video sound (really videos at all), much less two videos fighting it out. I am going to be avoiding tom's HARDWARE or using an ad-blocker until this goes away. I try not to use ad-blockers on sites that I want to see survive. I have been reading this site for many years, and a member of the forums for at least 8.

ironmind

Reputable
Sep 16, 2014
Does anyone know when Intel will be releasing/announcing the new high end laptop parts? I've seen the new U series, and now this desktop news - but I'm waiting on the new high-end laptop chips. Any news? Or did I miss something?

kawamewilliams

Prominent
Sep 19, 2017
So basically AMD & Intel are upgrading to newer sockets for their CPUs. Time to start putting money aside for a Mobo too.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
It's comic that this chip and it's chipset are DOA. Anyone buying this chip and a 370 board had better be ok with never upgrading the cpu because the next chip will only run on 390 boards for 8 cores (maybe more?). Intel may make a 6 core and under design based on the next core but that won't be much of a perf upgrade anyway. If I was buying Intel right I'd have to wait until H2 next year for the next chipset so I either have a path to 8 core (or more possibly) or can buy one outright.

It's funny you buy the 370, which is a brand new chipset to get 6 cores, but sorry...You can't have 8 cores coming ~9 months later. If you want 8, oops new motherboard again too...Tragically shows how Intel had no idea AMD was coming for at least some time. Intel usually doesn't make chipsets every 9 months...LOL. I guess if you're not an upgrader this cpu/chipset is not an issue.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Coffee Lake seems to take a coffee break.
In Scandinavia retailers only get a very limited amount of non-K CPUs for the launch date. The K-versions will arrive later on.
A steady supply of Coffee Lake CPUs is expected just in time to meet the launch of Ryzen 2 next spring.

Cromwell__

Prominent
May 31, 2017
Yep, it isn't just Scandinavia... I've checked with a few barebones desktop suppliers here in the USA and they are all saying that there will be VERY limited numbers of Coffee Lake processors available anytime in 2017, and that most will be in 2018. This is basically a fake launch by Intel to keep people (worked on me so far) from buying a Ryzen. Here's the text of the email I got back from AVADirect:

"The barebone builder for Z370 should be available within the next week. However, with this being said, availability will be very very limited until the first quarter of 2018."

As I said, the response I got from a few other places mirror this. This is totally a fake or "paper" launch. Pretty sure I'm buying Ryzen at this point if I can't get an order in for an 8700k by next week.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
One of the Swedish retailers made a premature launch of Coffee Lake this morning (withdrawn now). Their inventory stock numbers indicated that at least the unlocked Core i3 was readily available.

hdmark

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2015
anyone have any info on if intel "fixed" the temperature spikes? I just got a 7700k a few weeks ago to replace a dead 4790. wondering if i really should have waited or if its not a big deal (especially since i got the 7700k for 280)

DerekA_C

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
This feels like the oil companies and car companies how they have kept mpg down so low actually stagnant for 40 years it still isn't what it could be and we all know it. This dishonesty in almost all companies is poisoning our world with negativity and dishonesty while controlling the majority of us with the way we think, it is the idea of it the three cycled, life style; employee, employer, and consumer.

Making us think we need to always buy the very next thing to keep up or they drop support instead of creating a very well thought out upgrade path and standard uniting all of us instead of pushing this agenda that competition thrives innovation. Try telling that to the inventors inventing things purely off imagination and creativity that there was no such thing as competition in those new inventions of innovation that changed mankind forever. Mass producing just to throw it away is extremely wasteful and dangerous way of thinking. I love technology but at some point when are people going to SMARTEN up and stand up for a better, smarter, healthier, and happier way of life with real efficiency.

ef·fi·cient (ĭ-fĭsh′ənt)
adj.
1. Acting or producing effectively with a minimum of waste, expense, or unnecessary effort: an efficient builder; an efficient factory.
2. Acting directly to produce an effect: the efficient cause of the revolution.
3. Causing less waste or requiring less effort than comparable devices or methods. Used in combination:

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Derek, competition does drive innovation. It's precisely because AMD hasn't been a threat for so long that the CPU market has been stagnant for a long time. As for the car industry, you're reading it the wrong way round, those sorts of issues were as bad as they were because of state interference, subsidies, and the prevention of true competition. As soon as the state sticks its nose in, such as adding on huge tax levies to pump prices, real competition becomes a lot more difficult. Also, a large part of what happened in the last half century was down to artificially cheap oil, born on the back of a distinctly unhealthy economic relationships between the US and China re how trade functions. Again, if the state didn't interfere so much with this sort of thing, a much healthier market would exist where the real costs would be properly absorbed by the consumer, who would then have to make more sensible decisions about what to buy.

Also have to laugh at the notion of being obsessed with effiency. That again can only happen if the consequences of waste are reflected through to end pricing, but state interference means that rarely happens. Frankly, the consumer is just as dishonest for borrowing money to buy crap they cannot afford, building up staggeringly huge private sector debt, loading down the banks with that same debt, then blaming the banks when their income can't cover the repayments. Atm consumers are able to waste money very efficiently. Perhaps it should be more difficult to make stupid spending decisions, the way it used to be when a proper bank manager would refuse a loan if it was very obvious the customer had not a flying chance of paying it back.

Lastly, the notion of less waste is a bit hyopcritical when, let's face it, the vast majority of stuff we buy is not remotely essential to living anyway. Most products are luxury items. And anyone who moans about any of these issues but then spends money on xmas presents/cards, Valentine's day, birthday gifts, etc. is being very hypocritical.

Reminds me of the nonsense about hybrid/eco cars like the Prius; celebs buy them for virtue signalling reasons, not for any real concern about the envrionment, especially given the horrendous waste involved in their construction, the problems with the resource extraction required to create some of the internal parts such as the battery, etc. The real eco choice is to keep an existing car running, that consumes far fewer resources then making a new one, especially a complicated hybrid, but of course that doesn't match the public persona that celebs and the image-concious middle classes want to portray, the kind of people who will drive to a recycling centre in a 4x4 and then sit outside in the entrance queue of cars with their engine running, just to drop off a bag or two of plastic stuff. :D

There was a time low energy bulbs were very cheap, 25p each in Tesco. Then it became fashionable to have them, rather than an eco choice to save emergy, so now they cost ten times as much.

Derek, it's easy to berate the car makers and oil companies, but the buying public *wanted* cheap oil prices and they imposed the pressure to keep it that way. The obvious response to having inefficient engines was to have large fuel tanks, hence the rise of the SUV, etc. And in the US (remember) there was ovbiously not a problem with having larger vehicles, there being plenty of space for wider roads, etc. Such a solution isn't viable in nations such as the UK, we just don't have the space.

Consumers are just as much to blame for most ills of our time, if not more so. In the UK, if less than 1% of the private consumer debt owed to the banks had been paid back, not a single bank would have needed a state bailout. Ordinary people owe a staggering sum of money, mostly via credit cards. Students alone spend huge sums every year on stuff they do not need, such as booze. Such behaviour changed in the US after the 2008 crash, there was a move away from credit cards, but that didn't happen in the UK for various reasons, where per capita private debt is six times higher than in the US. Nobody *makes* people think they must buy the next best thing; to suggest that would be to say we have no agency, no potential for personal responsibility. The way consumers act is certainly going to be linked to general intelligence, and therein looms the bell curve, but at the end of the day the final choice is that of the individual. If you want to make a difference, then try and educate people to the potential for better or smarter choices, that's what I do.

Ian.

Status
Not open for further replies.