Everything You Need To Know About Thunderbolt

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hardahmed

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
I think Intel is still experimenting with a technology their not sure of. Intel used Apple as a trial partner to test their new technology for an year on Mac platform this year in Windows. Time will tell what will happen to this Thunderbolt interface, but i also dont see this taking off due to cost and efficiency and the way this works (cables with chips??). Of coz i love what intel is trying to achieve here but there should be some other firm alternative. Thunderbolt vanish just like a thunderbolt while destroying everything in its way...LOl.

nyghtstar

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
This technology is practically brand new and with anything this new prices always start high. That said, current prices as they are right now, are not all that bad. For example, this Seagate 750gb FreeAgent GoFlex Kit with Thunderbolt Adapter is pretty reasonably priced at $174.(see link) And the cables range from about $50. to $90. It's not that bad for what your getting. Think about it, how long does it take to do a full back-up or copy a bunch of movies. I think it's worth the price and as time goes on, the prices will inevitably come down. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?sku=853894&Q=&O=&is=REG&A=details. It won't be long before the size of the drives coincide with the prices. Look at the Mac prices, they are already down and in the TB sizes. Don't worry, be happy...

G

People talk about how single sata drives are too slow for certain applications and how a RAID cabinett on TB solves this.
Would be interesting to see a comparision of the performance between a TB RAID solution and an internal PCIe RAID solution for the same cost. If a PCIe RAID gives better performance, TB is a bad choice for desktop performance storage.

obsama1

Distinguished
Thunderbolt cables can only be made by Intel and they cost $50 minimum. They will never catch on. PCIE External will beat this in speed and it will be an open standard

osamabinrobot

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
i cant wait to wander into a best buy and see some dweeb trying to pitch a two hunnert dollar gold connector monster brand thunderbolt cable to some poor bastard

darasen

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2005
Typical Tom's posters. It's from Apple so we hate it.

From the article Thunderbolt violates the rule that PCs get the coolest technologies first. Sorry that statement is pure ignorance.

G

Andrew Ku, I have no idea what temperature those cables have, next time, let the 12% of internet users you are addressing with this article, use a conversion table instead of 88%.

Thank you

G

The point here is External Graphics. Think of your laptop, an outdated graphics processing unit can be brought back to life if your laptop had thunderbolt port! The laptop can be finally used again as a desktop gaming machine, or run GPU intensive 3D/CAD operations that no laptop GPU could dream of.

G

I just want a single backup drive for my laptop. That's it. When is Seagate and WD going to release one? Not one that requires an adapter, but one built in? USB 2 is slooooooooow and I am not sure Firewire 800 will be a substantial speed increase. I don't have USB 3 ports. Of course since thunderbolt is for high end professionals transferring a ton of information, I doubt vendors would even make simple backup drives with thunderbolt.

chewy1963

Honorable
May 9, 2012
[citation][nom]Anonymous[/nom]Andrew Ku, I have no idea what temperature those cables have, next time, let the 12% of internet users you are addressing with this article, use a conversion table instead of 88%.Thank you[/citation]

Really? You can't find a Fahrenheit to Celsius convertor on the web? What a dweeb!

G

If you need speed, you need thunderbolt. If you want to attach a drive, and don't care about what's on it being secure or accessible with a reasonable sized drive, then USB will work for you.

People, until you've used Thunderbolt, side by side, with USB for a while to appreciate the speed, forming an opinion about it from just peoples comments, is not a good use of your time.

G

Have my thunderbolt screen running with my Asus P8Z77-V Premium. Mostly runs find (incl. Facetime cam, Sound etc.) just once the PC sleeps, I have no sound / cam. There must be solution for that?! Asus told me it seems to be the inability to hotplug which disables the USB, where in the end all a.m. hardware is connected. Any hit to "reconnect" this USB without unplugging the screen?

vooblu

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013

Hello,

I need to output to a thunderbolt display and I'm interested in the setup posted below, from your article:
Z77EXT6TB_loopback600px.png

Unfortunately my motherboard doesn't have a displayport input, so I'm unable to follow that diagram exactly. I was wondering if there are any other cables I can use to output to a thunderbolt display while utilizing my graphics card? It will be connected to an iMac, so the connection must be between two thunderbolt ports and must use a thunderbolt cable, as per Apple's requirements. I've tried Virtu MVP but I'm having major issues with the current version so I'm interested in a hardware solution instead.

My motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670

G

Is there different kinds of thunderbolt cables for mac and pc?
I have a mother board gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH that supposedly support both but any cable will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.