EVGA 1060 running way higher than it should be

Oct 23, 2018
Greeting all, long time reader. First time poster, I have a strange problem with a graphics card that came in a system that I had bought off craigslist recently, and Im not sure of what to do, but here is the jist of the issue.

Ok, I have a evga Geforce 1060 GAMING Single Fan edition, and the cooling of this card isnt exactly the cream of the crop.

Its advertised stock speed is 1506mhz and its turbo boost speed is supposed to be 1709mhz, however this thing peaked today at 1911mhz. This card has been topping out on average 1870mhz, and with it throttling back at 83c I am afraid this card might burn out before its time.. The case I am using at the moment is a Thermaltake h17 mATX case, it has a single 120mm fan on the back, and a spot to mount on the top, a fan or two on the front would be pointless as there is no ventilation on the front.

Is there a way I can knock this card down to close to what it is supposed to be running at? I know NVIDIAs GPU Boost 3.0 will max out a card based on power and thermals, and I dont want to disable that, I just want to get it down to what its stock boost speed is supposed to be so this card doesnt die before its time.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks much in advance,.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
You don't need to do anything the card is doing what it's designed to do. GPU boost 3.0 will try to get the most out of card based on thermals and power. 83c is not going to kill the card, it will likely be long obsolete before it ever dies.

If for some reason 83c bothers you I would set up a custom fan profile with something like MSI afterburner and try to get that down a bit. MSI afterburner will also allow you to set a temp limit, if you do the card will throttle itself to keep under whatever you set the temp limit to. I wouldn't do that personally, in my opinion you would just be gimping the card for no reason.