Evga 1070ti ftw2 and 6 pin 8 pin connector

tokeylokey66

Prominent
Aug 17, 2017
So here's the deal I know how to set up a gpu I just wanna know if I should plug in my 6 pin into the card directly. Or plug it into the dual adaptor that converts it to an 8 pin. I have a 550 watt antec power supply that I am confident can run this card.

It is an old psu and does not have 2 8 pins. So is plugging in the 6 pin into one of the dual slots (converter) ok? Then plugging in my 8 pin i have directlt into card. By my calculations it should still feed enough power to that 235 watt card with some oc room.

Solution
Assuming your PSU can supply enough power... You're right, theoretically the cable can supply enough power to the GPU without overloading the cables. The 75w limitation is only for the connection slot type, not the cable. Especially if you were to under-volt the 1070, reducing the power limit down to 80% could lower its max power draw below 150w.

But, nobody is going to advise you to do that here ;)

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

a 8-pin pcie cable is designed to deliver twice the wattage of a 6-pin

using an adapter is not recommended, especially on an old sub-par power supply

as they will have inferior cabling, it melting is a real possibility

No, don't even try it if you like that new GPU.

As the others stated get a new PSU.

There is a risk of the PSU going and frying the GPU and maybe other parts along with it.

AnonymousAndy

Reputable
Dec 18, 2014
Assuming your PSU can supply enough power... You're right, theoretically the cable can supply enough power to the GPU without overloading the cables. The 75w limitation is only for the connection slot type, not the cable. Especially if you were to under-volt the 1070, reducing the power limit down to 80% could lower its max power draw below 150w.

But, nobody is going to advise you to do that here ;)

Solution

tokeylokey66

Prominent
Aug 17, 2017
Thanks for the replies. I got mixed messages from the different research I've read. Some say just plug in the 6 directly to card as well as 8. It just really bugs me that the psu is still running and I'm gonna have to be out another 60 to 70 dollars on top of 500 for the card!!
Uhggg decisions I wouldn't underclock it though. It's a pricey card because it ocs better so I was planning to do mild oc as well. But guess that's out the window

If the PSU doesn't have 2x 6+2's then it's getting old and out of date and due for a replacement.

tokeylokey66

Prominent
Aug 17, 2017

It's the bp550 antec power supply 80 plus. Got lots of reviews , how ever old school and ghetto looking but still considered a decent supply. I mean I've used it for 6 or 7 years now and it has never crapped out on me lol.

I'm about to pull the trigger and order the 1070 ti, what do ya say? I think if the power shorts on me and pc shuts off, not a big deal I'll deal with it and replace psu. But if there's a chance it can fry something, not doing it!! Gpu needs 235watts , 75 from pci express slot, 75 from 6 pin, 150 from 8 pin. 300 total my psu should be pumping right?

AnonymousAndy

Reputable
Dec 18, 2014
Lol I thought you already had the card and were just trying to get by. Absolutely don't buy the new card until you get a new PSU.

That PSU 12v spec could possibly be insufficient, depending on the rest of your system. It only has 444w on the 12v rails. But just the fact that its so close further increases the need for a new one.

tokeylokey66

Prominent
Aug 17, 2017

Damn, not what I wanted to hear : (
What does that mean exactly 444 watts on 12 volt rail? That means like how many watts total can go toward graphics card and cpu? I guess I'll get a psu since there are some on sale right now. Like a 650 watt corsair for 50, a decent model too. Semi modular

AnonymousAndy

Reputable
Dec 18, 2014

If its a 650w for $50, it's not one of corsairs decent PSUs. Like most brands, they have many different "lines" of power supplies that use better components than others. If its corsairs lower end cx650, it will be much better than your current and will supply more than adequate power, but it isn't a "good" PSU. That being said I haven't had any issues using the cheaper models from the big names, cx from corsair and the EVGA BQ series.

tokeylokey66

Prominent
Aug 17, 2017

Yea it's a refurb as well, great deal though. But on second thought i don't want to trust it. I'm going with a seasonic, btw do you know if your voltages read right on HWmonitor then you are good? Or are there hardware things i don't know about that could be downgraded and aged by now. Like my 12v rail reads above 12 volts usually and 11.8 on the low end. the 3 and 5 are in spec too, makes me think my psu is still alive.