Evga 1080 FTW2 Fan Curve

thewalleprod

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2016
In terms of custom fan curve using Precision, what would be the best fan curve set up for the 1080?I know that the new technology ICX doesn't activate fans until 60c. I don't want the card going over 65-68c during load. And also, in precision do I need to adjust anything with the clocks or power voltage?

Thanks.

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
I know that the new technology ICX doesn't activate fans until 60c. I don't want the card going over 65-68c during load
It's very hard to keep it 65c-ish during heavy load unless you're using water cooling or living inside a very cool room. The card is rated for 83c and will work safely until that temp.
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/190293/evga-gtx1080-8192-170118

If you don't want to buy an NZXT Kraken or anything similar, Install a good case fan on the side panel + change the GPU paste if you can.

Also, adjusting clocks/power/voltage will affect performance. If you're worried you could set it to throttle at 70c.

thewalleprod

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2016

So is it best if I don't touch clocks/power/voltage and just worry about fan curve?

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
So is it best if I don't touch clocks/power/voltage and just worry about fan curve?
Yes. Most do that. You could lower power limit = lower performance = lower temp = mostly for a 24-hour operation like mining. A few hours of usage at 70-80c won't damage the card.

As I said before, installing case fans help a lot as GPU builds up heat fast. Buy a couple of them if you have any spots left.

Also, you have to test and adjust the curve on the spot as there are too many variables like room temp, case fan, app/game you're using, etc. Keep raising the fan speed till it doesn't go over 70c under load. Then adjust the overall curve based on that.

thewalleprod

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2016

Because most forum posts I see in regards to temps on the 1080, people's temps aren't even hitting 75C. So I'm assuming overtime that over 75C would damage components in the GPU.

zebarjadi.raouf

Commendable
Jul 10, 2018
There's no telling what kind of settings/test they are using and in what condition they are using it.

Default fan curve + stress level load + 20c room temp = 74c average
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/evga_geforce_gtx_1080_ftw2_review,9.html

Rated for 83c means it should work at 83c without problems till the warranty expires = 3 years minimum. After that it's luck. Also, it automatically underclocks slightly as the temps increase because of boost technology. If you're not running above the rated temps, don't worry. Unless it's summer.