EVGA 1080 FTW2 Stuttering/Freezing In-Game

thewalleprod

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2016
I was wondering why my rig is stuttering and freezing in game for a second at times. Usually when I play Rainbow Six Siege. I have a i7 8700k with 16gb RAM. 165hz monitor with GSync. I tested temps and they look fine. (70C max for GPU, 65-68C for CPU). I have all updated drivers. Is it possible that it might be Shadowplay from GeForce Experience or is this a hardware issue?

7664stefan

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
And try uninstalling GF Experience. I am skipping this crappy piece of software already for years after I was experiencing performance in games when it was running.
You may also want to check the current performance mode set in the NVidia Control panel. Should rather be Performance instead of Balanced for some games.

Another thought: which drives to you have installed? How much loaded is your RAM when gaming?

thewalleprod

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2016

512MB SSD and 1TB HD. RAM is around 4-6GB when gaming.

thewalleprod

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2016

Why would it matter?

It matters...

Does it have issues at 1440P?

thewalleprod

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2016

I'd have to test it out for a bit on 1440p, but can you explain why it would matter anyway?

There is a HUGE difference in how the system handles 1080P and 1440P.

Test it out and post back.

You will get well over 100 FPS at 1440P at max settings anyway in that game.

thewalleprod

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2016

Yes, but if I'm running 1080p instead of the 1440p then the hardware shouldn't be under as much load as it would at 1440p. Correct?

Wrong....

At 1080P it puts much more on the CPU....

At 1440P it takes it off the CPU and puts most of it on the GPU.

It's actually easier on the system running at 1440P, 1080P puts more stress on the CPU trying to keep up with the GPU pushing those really high frames.

Going to 1440P with a GTX 1080 you won't lose much FPS wise in that game.

Make sure G-Sync is enabled.

Should be a lot smoother gameplay.

Phazoner

Distinguished
I'll summarize:

Perform a clean installation of your drivers. Use DDU to clean the drivers and reinstall them.
    Avoid Geforce Experience and check if the Windows Xbox application has recording enabled because it can be causing problems too.
    Lowering the resolution won't make your PC work less. It will just render more fotograms per second and the CPU will need to handle all these extra FPS so it will work harder.

If you want it to work less you should just block the max FPS via ingame configuration or software like Rivatuner, but there's no need because you have GSync which will limit the FPS rendered to the max of your monitor refresh rate (165Hz). Anyway it makes no sense to lock framerate in a GSync monitor and under the max refresh rate when playing competitive games like R6S, because the more FPS you get, the less lag in your actions you get and the best you play (that's the reason of "competitive" monitors to have such refresh rates).

My advice is to play at max resolution (1440p) and just lower the setting till you get framerates near 165Hz. If 1440p at reasonable graphics settings won't give you that much FPS, then lower the resolution.