[SOLVED] EVGA 2080super FTW3 / Using Precision x1 / Help me input settings...

griffs_build_guide

Prominent
Jun 16, 2020
Hello, I have had this graphics card for about a year now. I have been running it stock. I want to get into some very beginner-level overclocking. Wondering if anyone has this card and if they can recommend what I should enter into precision x1. I'm talking about what I should enter for the boost clock, memory clock etc. I am very new to this and just want it to be easy and not go through all the crazy testing... I am also looking for SAFE overclocking to make sure this card lasts. Nothing crazy. If any overclocking geniuses could help me out that would be amazing!

Solution
Gpu overclocking more or less died on Nvidia gpus with the introduction of Gpu Boost since GTX 10 series.
Custom settings be damned, these cards changing their settings on seemingly a whim breaks most of what you entered in software like Afterburner or Precision.
I have to doubt when users say they have a 'stable OC' with one of these gpus when the blasted frequency doesn't sit still. How do you know it's stable when:
-doing a run of say, CSGO, the frequency boosts and sits at... let's say 1949mhz.
-take it to Unigine Superposition, and 30 seconds in, it's downclocked to 1936mhz and doesn't move until the benchmark is complete, and it's back up to 1949mhz.
-do a run of 3D Mark, and it's bouncing around between 1835-1949mhz.
-do some...
Hello, I have had this graphics card for about a year now. I have been running it stock. I want to get into some very beginner-level overclocking. Wondering if anyone has this card and if they can recommend what I should enter into precision x1. I'm talking about what I should enter for the boost clock, memory clock etc. I am very new to this and just want it to be easy and not go through all the crazy testing... I am also looking for SAFE overclocking to make sure this card lasts. Nothing crazy. If any overclocking geniuses could help me out that would be amazing!
So one way several people do ocing isn't always the smartest but actually works really well if you are really good at multi tasking. Set the power limit to max. Then slowly start to increase core rate and memory rate. Once you start hitting max Temps start lowering your power limit slowly.

Reactions: griffs_build_guide

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Gpu overclocking more or less died on Nvidia gpus with the introduction of Gpu Boost since GTX 10 series.
Custom settings be damned, these cards changing their settings on seemingly a whim breaks most of what you entered in software like Afterburner or Precision.
I have to doubt when users say they have a 'stable OC' with one of these gpus when the blasted frequency doesn't sit still. How do you know it's stable when:
-doing a run of say, CSGO, the frequency boosts and sits at... let's say 1949mhz.
-take it to Unigine Superposition, and 30 seconds in, it's downclocked to 1936mhz and doesn't move until the benchmark is complete, and it's back up to 1949mhz.
-do a run of 3D Mark, and it's bouncing around between 1835-1949mhz.
-do some rounds of CoD: Warzone, and it's bouncing around there too, between 1911-1936mhz.

How can one confirm an OC is stable when the frequency can't be kept static?
Gpu Boost can make adjustments based on the gpu's parameters and can totally ignore custom settings.

Solution
Totally agree with you Phaaze On my new USED 2080 ti I can set the undervolt limit say at ,987v still showing 1995mhz in Msi Afterburner not even touching the clocks yet and in 3dmark firestrike or timespy it reports that it boosted to 2040-2050mhz.
It is making for some very time consuming trial and error experiments to lock it at 1 set number.
But underclocking to me is the better way to go for the longevity of the card.
Thank You Phaaze.

Last edited:
Reactions: white.a.drew