EVGA 670 FTW 4GB vs. 7970

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

datguy88

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
Hello, I have been looking to finalize my first gaming build after a year of saving up, and after believing the GT670 FTW 4GB was the way to go, I stumbled across some of the 7970s at very close prices. Not to mention, they are giving away Far Cry 3, Hitman Absolution, and Sleeping Dogs which I am completely excited for.

Could anyone please tell me which they have found to be better, the 670 or the 7970, and if its the 7970, which one? Also, should Physx, drivers, and planning to SLI/CF in the future play a role in which card to get?

Thank you for any answers as I really want to get into high end gaming, so choosing a card with 3GB+ for vram is a must as I want to max out Battlefield 3 and GTA V when it (hopefully) releases on PC; also, I plan on using many graphic intensive mods like ICEnhanncer GTA IV which are heavy in the vram usage department. I will also be getting an i5 3570k if that helps.

Once again, any tips that can be given would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Solution
From what I've seen with the new AMD drivers, the 7970 is closer to the GTX 680 than GTX 670 is to the 7970 in performance.

What resolution will you be gaming at?

One display or multiple?

Do you already have PSU to back up the upgrade?
:lol: this thread is a waste of time mate don't even respond to it anymore is my advice i delete your comments to i am going to it's not a good example to up coming members on anybody part ;)

datguy88

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
Thanks for all the advice. Looking over everything, I am probably going to go with either the XFX 7970 Double D Ghz Edition, the Sapphire 7970 Vapor-X, or the 4GB EVGA 670 FTW

The XFX is pulling ahead for me, but with their recent pulling of the three free games deal from Newegg, I might get the Sapphire. If those fall through, I will go back to the 670.

Once again, thanks for everything, and have a good night.

RussK1

Splendid

Dude what are you talking about? Everything was kosher until you plopped in with your psycho-babble post. Here I'll quote it for you:

I don't know what kinda BS you raden fans are smoking but us Geforce Fanboys smoke that real ish. the GTX 670 is a bang/buck/performer card.. depending on which card you get, you have a very serious game changer. the 7970 is a great card... but AMD still lacks stable drivers. Sure you can argue they boost performance over the 670 (not 680) but if your graphics driver is crapping out on you constantly how can you enjoy gaming

With the Geforce GTX 670, you can get superior gaming performance with a starting price or 369.99 on newegg, your looking at a investment to a good community, Stable drivers and a forum that puts you in direct contact with driver devs that can directly help you with driver support if you encounter a bug. NVIDIA Geforce has the best gaming community i know. They love user feedback.

So there ya have it, the NVIDIA Geforce GTX 670 is a great card. the 7970 comes with games you say? ever thought there was a marketing reason they they throw in those games? because without the games, the card won't sell.. Notice the games they include are AMD favored/sponsored.

GTX 670>7970

You decide
Game, Set, Match. Good day sir!

Are you 10? 11? 12?

corvetteguy1994

Distinguished

get the 7970 reference and get an after market cooler and overclock A LOT. i have mine at 1125/1575. make sure you have a cpu to back it up tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.