[SOLVED] EVGA 750ti FTW issue

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
Hello. So for older games, etc., I was in the process of putting an old rig together. I recently obtained a 750ti that was complete with box, CD driver, etc . It was currently just running std VGA as I did not have the drivers for the hd 6450 that was in there, and not planning on using it anyway. Before putting the 750ti in I just upgraded the ram to 8gb. I powered up the machine prior to installing the 750ti and ram was recognized right away, and ran fine. I turned off machine and carefully installed the 750, making sure to also plug in the Pci-e 6 pin to it. Card was fully installed and in place. I fired it up again, no issues. Display still in std VGA mode. I put the driver CD in and it downloaded Microsoft .net files successfully and was ready for driver install. Drivers started installing. I looked away thinking everything was fine, and a few seconds later to my horror bsod. I cannot tall you exactly the msg in detail, but said windows has shut down to prevent damage, and something about restarting comp and if error msg again may be corrupt hd. I restarted the computer and no video at all. Shut down, reinstalled the he 6450 and connected to HDMI port same as prior, and no video at all. I used the VGA connection from the video card to my monitor, and now have video. There is no onboard VGA connection on the Mobo that I can see so that is why I have to go through the 6450. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. My gut tells me I got a bad 750ti.☹️

Specs
Windows 7 64 ultimate
EVGA 680i lt SLI Mobo
8 gb ddr2
2 SATA hds 1 500gb and 1 250gb
Seasonic semi modular g series 750rm PSU.

Last edited:
Solution
Used video card, then yes could be a bad card but it's also an old motherboard. Check for a newer BIOS update for it once that is done reset the BIOS by pulling the CMOS battery for 15 seconds. Plug in the card and see if it works.

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
Well tonight I went ahead and plugged the HDMI cord into the 750ti and fired it up. It took a little while, but eventually I had video. I installed need for speed carbon and everything seemed to be going well. Launched the game, and right from the intro the audio would cut out. I went into computer audio settings and made some changes that did not help, and went ahead and restored default settings. After that audio eventually worked fine. I went into the game options to see what kind of settings the 750ti could handle. I turned everything to high, and played for a while. Looked good/audio good. I went back into video options one more time to check my choices and clicked on the custom selection. Right near that moment the computer crashed, and the DVD player went a little crazy. I got a black screen stating windows had to shut down. A message at the bottom stated press esc to continue or delete to enter set up to reset cmos and I believe something to the effect of resetting the memory? It had to due with the ram, but when I tried to recreate it I now no longer have any video. Also there was a power surge and the lights dimmed for a second in the room I was working in after the crash, etc. Maybe totally unrelated. Anyway tomorrow I am going to do a clean install of the drivers and see what happens. Any chance it may be a ram issue was well? Ram was just installed a few minutes prior to the GPU. Thanks

Last edited: