EVGA (Barely) Teases GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 With iCX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gooplux

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016
Im not sure why bother with the temperture status lights on the side if they will ultimately be covered up by the power cables. Seems kinda pointless doesnt it?

metathias

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Axial fans are always a poor engineering choice. I will never willingly do axial on anything but standard case fans. People who buy these types of cooling solutions will be crying if they hold it more than 2 years. Axial's usually fail 2 to 3 years in. This is why reference boards always use centrifugal types. Its not because their cheap. Its because their reliable.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Had my gtx660ti for 4½ years, my gtx970 for 2½ years and not a peep of problems from any of the 4 fans. Nothing wrong with axial fans as such, just with poor designs and lackluster manufacturing practices leading to short lifespans. As it is, centrifugal designs barely keep up with thermal issues, especially on the VRM's and other voltage regulatory circuitry, vram etc amd limit the amount of usable real estate on the pcb making for larger cards. Axial solutions allow for shorter pcb's and better possible cooling. Centrifugal designs also have 1 glaringly major flaw. In pc cases with limited, if any, dust filtration (pre-built and cheaper budget cases) centrifugal gpus can and will overheat quickly due to dust build up blocking the airflow channels, which honestly doesn't take long. The problem there is that the processor is the only component with a temp sensor and rarely sees higher temps vrs the now passive cooling on the VRM's side of the board. Has a strong tendency to cook those components, especially the vram, causing all sorts of artifacts and lines on screen. There's always multiple posts on gpu issues with visual irregularities yet temps never go beyond 70ish °C

I'll keep my axial gpus thanks, but I'll never be able to afford the Evga 1080ti, and no matter how pleasant the aesthetics might be, the cost isn't justifiable with a family to feed.

metathias

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
When i purchase hardware. I like it to last a decade or longer. I also have a family, And hand down hardware to my children. My youngest child has a machine with a Core 2 quad, and a geforce 280 released in 2008. While it is necessary to clean the dust out every 4 or 5 months. That would be the case with axial fans as well. When in 2011 i invested in several bitcoin mining setups. Choosing to go with a couple different video card configurations, 7970s running both axials, and centrifugals. My axial fans of which there were 3 per card, x4 cards by 2 different manufacturers. All went bad within the first 2 years of their service. The centrifugal cooled cards continue to function just fine today. In fact i've never seen a centrifugal break (I did see one stopped by dust buildup, Which fixed merely by cleaning the unit. You can keep your axials. Ill stick with the fan type the HVAC industry uses almost exclusively for over 100 years.

KC8DKT

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2009
ROFLMAO, If your going to talk crap get your facts strait. The 1080FTW had NOTHING to do with GPU temps or exploding GPUs... Lets see some links too your PICs of a 1080FTW exploded GPU please!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The isn't any component by any brand that hasn't failed, sometimes catastrophically. Quality built components just severely limit the chances if it happening. I've personally never seen a Seasonic AXi go up in smoke, but it's happened before. Nobody is infallible. S it happens. Blame Murphy. Just don't judge an entire brand by 1 failure. As it happens, Evga has the best service and warranty department of any pc brand. I've gotten email receipts of replacements being shipped before I'd even gotten off the phone with the service lady.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It does. Definitely one of the most aesthetically pleasing gpus I've seen in a while. Most of the last batch of 1080's were all funky angled 'batmobile' looking gpus. This is a nice change, glad Evga opted for this design. If the cooling lives up to its promises, it'll be the card to beat on my recommend-o-meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.