EVGA Debuts 8 New Low-Power Nvidia GTX 950 GPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tibeardius

Reputable
Apr 19, 2014
Ummm, 8? Isn't that pretty overkill? They aren't even that different. You'd think they could've done a low profile one or a single slot card to add some flavor.

nix27

Reputable
Jul 28, 2014
Why would someone buy an underclocked 950 when the cost for 750ti is now significantly lower.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
Well, now Evga can claim it has the fastest graphics card that doesn't require a PCI-E connection. These would make for excellent budget ITX gaming rigs, paired with an i3 6100.

asus released a similar product over a month ago. have not seen them in stores yet but evga is not the first to do this. they were the first that tom's decided to report on but i did make a forum post about the release when it was announced by asus. :)

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2998933/gtx-950-asus-runs-75w-pin-connector.html

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador
"EVGA revealed eight new Nvidia GeForce GTX 950 graphics cards, with four of them ditching the 6-pin connector usually required to keep the GPU adequately powered."

Only two of the eight new cards don't require additional power from the PSU.
02G-P4-0952
02G-P4-0954
Source: http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=02G-P4-1952-KR

The chart near the top of that page is missing 2 of the 8. It's missing 02G-P4-0958 & -0956 (the 2 rated at 1076 MHz base clock).

As for "too many", what you're getting is 4 pairs of cards (2 pairs with a 6-pin connector, 2 pairs without any connectors), each pair having a card with a DVI-D port & 1 card without it. The only pair that doesn't make sense are 1954 (DVI-D) & 1952 (no DVI-D): the base clock & boost clock speeds(1025 & 1190 MHz) are the same as the pair without a PCIe connector. Unless they're planning on the pair without PCIe to be a "mainstream" option, & the PCIe-equipped models are for overclockers...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

the asus ones are locked at the 75w the pcie can handle. this is not an overclocking gpu for sure. if you wanna do that , then get a better psu and buy one you can oc. power saving and oc are 2 concepts that do not belong in the same sentence!!

Alex Atkin UK

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012
Well, now Evga can claim it has the fastest graphics card that doesn't require a PCI-E connection. These would make for excellent budget ITX gaming rigs, paired with an i3 6100.

Implying that its somehow hard to get a PSU with a 6 pin connector in ITX, which it is not.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

there are 100 or more threads a day asking "what gpu can i put into my prebuilt pc with no 6 pin connector?" the answer is normally a 750ti as it was the best you could do without the extra power. now the answer can be one of these 950's. for a new build these are not a good choice clearly, but for upgrades to crap psu oem machines, they are the best answer without spending for a new psu as well.

new builds are not the only reason to get a new gpu ;)

logainofhades

Titan
Problem is many OEM's don't meet the 350w PSU recommendation. I would use one in a new rig. For a low power ITX rig, these would be nice to have. Could be a dual purpose HTPC/Gaming rig system, or a easily portable lan box. Something like a Silverstone RVZ01B, or even a Lian-Li PC-TU100B, with its handle. Not every rig needs to be an i5/i7 and a GTX 970, or better.

Newegg doesn't have them yet, but that could be a card I'd want. I could pretty much max GW2 with a HD7870, and this should be similar or a hair better. GW2 is the most demanding game I have (and I've not played it for months), so to be able to play all my games with such low power consumption would be great.

Your typical user will not know that, though. Plus the Asus ones wouldn't be locked to the 75W of the PCIe cable, because even cards with PCIe cables still get a lot of current from the PCIex16 slot, which means the Asus card is technically safe for up to 150W.

What concerns me is that your average user will not know these cards aren't meant for overclocking any further, and they may try doing so and have too much current through PCIex16 slot, whereas if they had a 6-pin cable it could share that load. I am not sure if there is some form of PCIe slot overcurrent protection employed by motherboards, but if such a thing is not present, then damage could occur to the motherboard.

I'm also curious if something like a GTX 970 downclocked to like 450Mhz would do, and if that could have no PCIe cable requirement. Not sure if that's a possibility or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.