Question EVGA FTW3 3070

threebills11

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2014
So I've had the card a year now and works great.What I'm curious is it's supposed to boost clock to 1815 mghz,but mine starts at 1980 mhz without even running anything,even goes to 2010 while playing....I'm not complaining ,just wondering why? I never overclocked and it came in a brand new sealed case.Unless someone had it and overclocked it? but ,I mean it's in mint condition,the box and plastic wrap was as well,but why woud anyone go through the trouble of making it better for someone with n extra cost?lol.....Did i hit the silicone lottery?Any thoughts?

Solution
Video cards for the past 6-7 years will basically boost until it hits some kind of wall, be it a power, thermal, or voltage limit. This point may be beyond the advertised turbo boost frequency.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Built in feature, Gpu Boost dynamically overclocks the card further than advertised boosts if it considers the operating parameters safe.
It's been mostly pointless to try and manually overclock further after the fact, since the automatic one does the majority of the boosting.

You have to have something running... some 3rd party app - Wallpaper Engine is a popular one.
Or the total digital resolution exceeds the card's maximum.

Unless someone had it and overclocked it?
Doesn't work that way. Custom settings aren't stored on the card itself.

Reactions: threebills11

threebills11

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2014
Thanks you for the input all,something to think about////it was just buggin me out why its doin so well,I overclocked my chip so maybe theres some auto thing that tells the card it can go there? I mean I'm happy,was just curious...thanks again

threebills11

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2014
Built in feature, Gpu Boost dynamically overclocks the card further than advertised boosts if it considers the operating parameters safe.
It's been mostly pointless to try and manually overclock further after the fact, since the automatic one does the majority of the boosting.

You have to have something running... some 3rd party app - Wallpaper Engine is a popular one.
Or the total digital resolution exceeds the card's maximum.

Doesn't work that way. Custom settings aren't stored on the card itself.
ya,I checked the resolution max and it suggests to use at 3840x2160 which is 4k,im only using 3440x1440 so it must be like you guys/gals said,it cranks it up as long as the paramaters are safe.I have excellent cooling,3 intake on bottom,3 from card facing mobo and 3 outake on top for chip which also exhausts everything else.I love my build lol.Thanks again for the help all.I just have to paint my homade support black,never got a round to it lol